FPS on Supercarrier - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
fagulha
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 226
Default

I´m very eager for this module since i can remember but my fears are with VR.
But i´m sure i will enjoy it.

Best regards and keep up,
F.
fagulha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
BuzzU
Senior Member
 
BuzzU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
For a bit of perspective...

1440p monitor, i5 7600k at 4.6GHz, 1080 Ti and 32Gb of 3200MHz RAM here...while on the deck of the Stennis in the Tomcat, four static aircraft parked, in the middle of open water, out of site of land, empty mission, I see FPS drop into the 50's.

This is with shadows low, terrain shadows flat, MSAA 2x, SSAA off...

Along with deck sliding, FPS impact is my biggest concern with the new carrier.
A drop into the 50's. What do you normally get?
__________________
Buzz
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #13
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team
 
SkateZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 18,830
Default

Carrier is likely less to render than an entire airfield and surrounding area
__________________
Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,
X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #14
=BJM=
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
A drop into the 50's. What do you normally get?
It varies greatly...

This is all in the Tomcat; Viper and Hornet are on average about 10-20 FPS higher.

On the ground at Nellis, completely empty map, FPS around 90.

Flying over Las Vegas or Persian Gulf cities, FPS will drop into 60's, sometimes 50's...completely empty map.

Over open desert or ocean, clear blue sky and empty map, FPS will shoot up to 120+ and even max at my refresh rate of 144 at times.

Near cities or other aircraft, FPS takes a significant hit and I struggle to maintain 60 FPS...away from everything, it is perfectly fine.

For me to maintain 60 FPS in all situations, I have found I need to turn shadows off, mirrors off, and turn down visib range.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
=BJM=
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
Carrier is likely less to render than an entire airfield and surrounding area
Empty airfield compared to empty carrier...sure.

It all evens out though as soon as you start adding just a few aircraft. I see the same 40-50 FPS drop with just a few aircraft added to the ramp of an airfield or carrier deck.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #16
fagulha
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
Carrier is likely less to render than an entire airfield and surrounding area
Yes, good point.
I was just asking because i use to populate a lot my Stennis with mods, crew, etc, and still get fps to fly but now with some animated crew i was wondering how it goes.

Thank you,
F.
fagulha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:33 AM   #17
MegOhm_SD
Senior Member
 
MegOhm_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC-USA
Posts: 1,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
looking forward to loading this carrier up with choppers!
e

Just don't block the Cats like the P51s always do.
__________________

Thing is....Zuckerberg is definitely an Alien... Some Kind of Grey Hybrid

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, Oculus S, Win 10
MegOhm_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #18
KTFBGB
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
For a bit of perspective...

1440p monitor, i5 7600k at 4.6GHz, 1080 Ti and 32Gb of 3200MHz RAM here...while on the deck of the Stennis in the Tomcat, four static aircraft parked, in the middle of open water, out of site of land, empty mission, I see FPS drop into the 50's.

This is with shadows low, terrain shadows flat, MSAA 2x, SSAA off...

Along with deck sliding, FPS impact is my biggest concern with the new carrier.
Well you are using a GPU designed for driving a 1080P monitor, and you are asking it to drive a 1440p. What do you expect? Not being a jerk, just saying. Asking more of your hardware than it was optimized for.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #19
=BJM=
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFBGB View Post
Well you are using a GPU designed for driving a 1080P monitor, and you are asking it to drive a 1440p. What do you expect? Not being a jerk, just saying. Asking more of your hardware than it was optimized for.
If a 1080 Ti is meant for 1080p, then what GPU's are for 1440p, 4K, and VR?
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:05 AM   #20
Sn8ke_iis
Member
 
Sn8ke_iis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
It varies greatly...

This is all in the Tomcat; Viper and Hornet are on average about 10-20 FPS higher.

On the ground at Nellis, completely empty map, FPS around 90.

Flying over Las Vegas or Persian Gulf cities, FPS will drop into 60's, sometimes 50's...completely empty map.

Over open desert or ocean, clear blue sky and empty map, FPS will shoot up to 120+ and even max at my refresh rate of 144 at times.

Near cities or other aircraft, FPS takes a significant hit and I struggle to maintain 60 FPS...away from everything, it is perfectly fine.

For me to maintain 60 FPS in all situations, I have found I need to turn shadows off, mirrors off, and turn down visib range.
Have you tried a frame rate limiter set to 60? Sounds like your CPU/GPU is doing a lot of extra work. The hotter your CPU and GPU get, the more likely they are to throttle. Do you have an AIO for your CPU or is it aircooled? A little bit of CPU overclocking goes a long way in the DCS engine. PM me if you want any help with tuning. I'm sure we can get you a few frames.

Mirrors are one of the biggest FPS killers. Once you are up in the air at high altitude you can usually turn them on. Cockpit display resolution applies to mirrors as well. Turning shadows completely off seems kind of drastic. Turning down heatblur and Depth of field/motion blur off are a big help with little impact on image quality.

I would just ignore the other guy. 1080 Ti was the first card that could hit 4K consistently
__________________
Rig: Winter '18/19
Asus Maximus XI Formula|Intel 9900K @ 5.2 GHz|Nvidia 2080 Ti @ 2085 MHz|EK Custom Cooling Loop|Gskill 32 GB DDR4 @ 3300 MHz|Samsung 512 GB, 1 TB NVMe SSDs|Asus/Seasonic 1200w PSU

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K|TrackIR 5|Sennheiser PC 363D headphones|HP Reverb Pro|Realsim FSSB|TM Warthog HOTAS w/Rainman curved extension, MFDs|Vipergear IPC|Buddyfox UFC| Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel|MFG Pedals|Playseat Flightseat| Monstertech HOTAS mount|Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.