Wind direction - Briefing and ME - still a mess - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Wind direction - Briefing and ME - still a mess

The wind reporting in the briefing and mission editor are still incorrect.

As you can see in the image below from the HSI and wind sock, the winds are coming FROM ~135 or SE. 135 is also the direction reported by ATC, which is correct.

However, in the briefing and mission editor, they are reporting ~325 or NW; this is the direction to which the wind is going TO, which is incorrect, conflicts with ATC, and is generally confusing!

This has been wrong for so long; please, please, PLEASE can it be fixed?

To improve clarity, I also suggest that the arrows in the mission editor are also changed to indicate the direction the wind is coming FROM, for example, the arrow pointing towards the centre, rather than edge, as I've shown below.

Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Flagrum
Veteran

Just because I happen to know where to find it - from 2014: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124729

(Sometimes I wonder why such "quick win" bugfixes are neglected so often. Tiny efford to fix, huge impact on the game. Not to mention the positive "PR" effect and positive reception of the community if *insert dev of your choice* show up with long patch logs, etc.)
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Now with carrier ops I almost always manage to mess up the winds because I can never remember which of the readouts is right and which isn't.

I'm really getting sick of this.

SORT IT FFS, BUGS DON'T GET ANY EASIER TO FIX!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Now with carrier ops I almost always manage to mess up the winds because I can never remember which of the readouts is right and which isn't.

I'm really getting sick of this.

SORT IT FFS, BUGS DON'T GET ANY EASIER TO FIX!

Perhaps the reason this has not been changed over all of these years is that it’s not considered to be a bug. They read direction the same as wind barbs which is also consistent with the dynamic weather map.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Graphical representations perhaps. But wind given by the usual 3 digit number should always indicate the direction from which it is coming. Instead it's an inconsistent mess.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
Ironhand
Veteran

Guess it’s never bothered me. I’ve always thought of it as “ flow direction” given the graphical representation.

EDIT: I believe it’s designed to work with the other ME tools like the measuring tool. Everything reads in terms of “flow direction” (direction of travel). Makes it easier to check how the wind crosses a runway, for instance. What’s imported into the briefing, however, is a separate issue. Personally I don’t pay much attention to it. But obviously that’s just me.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 07-19-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
cuervo111

+1
cuervo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Kazius

I will +1 and add something. I noticed the briefing will always report a value of 29.92 for QNH every time you enter a mission that uses dynamic weather. Made a video to show it is incorrect. Anyone using the dynamic weather in missions should probably do an F10 check of the airport and find its altitude and set there QNH to the proper value by making sure there barometric altitude is giving the same altitude as the airport they are taking off from. Unless of course there flying planes like the Viggen that needs QFE settings for each target point or for landing.

https://youtu.be/r1N-nuV0Etg

Also surprised to read the wind issue has been reported 4 years ago and still not fixed.
Kazius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

I would never normally give a dev grief for not fixing a nuance bug, but leaving something like this for so long is bordering on pathetic. No-one seems to pay any attention to this sub forum.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Kazius

Ignore my previous posting, I made an error. The QFE provided by the briefing is correct I was looking at QNH and not QFE for local Aerodrome. I change persian gulf Inferno practice map to dynamic weather and the QFE ended up being 30.52 which once the altimeter is set gave me 60 feet on the deck of the carrier which is correct.

I'm guessing wind is not a bug either and is correct for some point on the map. But you would likely need to listen to your ATC for your local Aerodrome for the wind in that current location on the map since the wind changes directions within each weather system.
Kazius is offline   Reply With Quote