A-10C Training Schedule!

Conure

Hey all,

With Black Shark I kind've jumped in, learnt systems at a shallow level and become mildly proficient but never confident at operating the Shark. What I'd like to do in A-10 is train in a similar fashion to RL pilots, though I'm unsure of how to go about it...Can you suggest a decent training package for this kind of thing? I'm looking to log a number of hours flight focusing on individual systems so that when I come to apply for squadrons I'm as capable as possible...

Anyway, I know that roughly the training is:

Basic flight

Navigation

Systems and weapons

But this is very vague..What would be great and also add to the immersion in training, in my opinion, would be a systematic training schedule such as...

Module 1: Basic engine operation (11-12 hours)

1: Aircraft specifications and general aircraft knowledge (recommended 3 hours training)

2: Aircraft engine startup, possible faults and health checks (recommended 3 hours training)

3: interpreting CDU errors during startup (recommended 2 hours training)

4: Emergency shutdown procedures and recovery (recommended 90 minutes training)

5: Engine shutdown, possible faults and health checks (recommended 2 hours training)

Module 2: Basic communications

1: Radio overview: Function and capability (recommended 40 minutes)

2: Radio operations: Tuning your radios and knowing which to use, when. (90 minutes)

3: ILS/ADF (90 minutes)

Anyway, you get the general jist...A full training schedule which is significantly more in depth than the training missions, but more focused and interactive than the manual. Rather than just giving you information, giving you information in a practical situation and preparing you for all variables..

Anyway, does anything like this exist?! If not, could somebody suggest a rough training schedule which is less vague than flight, nav, systems??

Cheers :D

(ps, if i get proficient enough and it doesnt exist, I will try to write such a guide..)

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

I had written up a quick outline for the training syllabus I followed when learning the Hawg.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1047803#post1047803

To follow the whole thing would take ages! :P It's still somewhat vague, and I know you are looking for something more specific, but it might help or give you a starting point. Modify as you see fit! :thumbup:

--NoJoe

• Like 2

Thanks NoJoe, I'd even already posted there :-) Will follow what you say!

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Not DCS related, more of a third party thing, but still cool.

I wish I had the time to do this course online;

http://www.joint-ops.com/php2/index.php

IL-2 training/Rise of Flight and will most likely do Cliffs of Dover after release.

Ground school, flight school, weapons training. Looks pretty hardcore. Check it out, might be of SOME interest. It's free of any cost, just requires time. 3 hours a few times a month per course.

Edited by element1108

Thanks NoJoe, I'd even already posted there :-) Will follow what you say!

Oh, haha, so you did! Never mind, then. :D

I've been considering putting together a more in-depth syllabus for the A-10C... I'll post here if that gets off the ground. So to speak. ;)

--NoJoe

If someone, or some online squadron would be up for the task, I remember a few years back following courses through the Check-Six Fighter School, for Falcon (training done on AF but all pilots were playing OF).

You would be matched up with a teacher, with an online calendar of availability, and then you went through a fully detailed cursus with an evaluation at the end of each module. You could not continue the training until you passed, and often you would get things to practice on your own between sessions.

It was extremely well planned and done, and I must admit the community behind it put a lot of efforts.

Sorry though the site is in French, but it can give an idea. Of course the entire program is accompanied by documentation which is available on the site.

Even the teachers before being able to become a squad leader needed to clock 40 hours of teaching :P

http://www.force27.com/c6/edc/general.htm

And the extensive documentation they put together (these guys are freaks!!!! :P) http://www.checksix-fr.com/articles/article.php?n_rubrique=27

Edited by Arakahn

I felt that this thread needs a link to the Flight Qualification Campaign, that's in dev right now for A-10C.

As many ppl around here have very limited play time and hence don't sign up to a squadron this single player attempt seems very promising.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MB: DFI Lanparty UT P35-T2R

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3,6 GHz @ 1,328V

VGA: MSI GTX460 HAWK @ 850/1700/1000 MHz

MFCD: Eizo S2231 22" S-PVA

RAM: A-Data Vitesta 2 x 2048 MB @ 960 MHz

FLT EQPM: Saitek X-52 Pro, TrackIR 5

You guys watched Jetstream? It's not about spoon-feeding information, it's about repetition, discipline and self initiative. Drinking from the firehose.

There's definitely a need for somewhat standardised course, but these things aren't supposed to be user-friendly. There's a reason why so much info is thrown at you. If you'll grind through it, you'll process critical info faster and made instant right decisions in the heat of battles. You don't think what TMS down or china forward does, you have to know it before you press it.

This is the first step. Grinding yourself to what all hat combos do, so you react instantly and flawless. I think that makes every other(further) aspect much easier.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah it would be interesting to see something like this put together. There's a lot that isn't covered unless you arevpart of a very hardcore squad.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png