"FIRE DRILL" Thread!

Lonecrow66

Ok .. time for some fire drills.

Scenario #1 (feel free to make up your own scenarios and stories)

You get hit and you lose your left MFD, ILS and TACAN .. what do you do?

If you are still in mid mission. No fuel loss

Do you RTB? Or continue mission? How do you get home?

Scenario #2

Lose both MFD's, ILS at night while snowing (Had this happen to me the other night) with visibility basically 0. No airspeed indicator on the hud, no alt on the hud either.

How do you navigate and make it home? I tried using tacan without luck wasn't any bases nearby that had them, ended up generally knowing where I was looked up the radio freq for a nearby airport, got a vector to the runway. Was able to use the magnetic compas and the HSI ... I still couldn't see the runway so had to really fly low under all the clouds enough to finally find the runway with about 500lbs of fuel left and landed..

No I didnt try hars.. trying to avoid learning it for now hehe

---

May your takeoffs equal your landings!

Scenario 1 continue the mission as long as the jet is stable. Reprogram your MFD buttons and press on baby!

Scenario 2 Hope to hell you have a wingman!!!! Also if HUD is still up cycle through your waypoints till you find the nearest airport. All airports seem to be programed into the CDU. They are alphabetical starting after your last programmed waypoint.

S#1

Mission, Weps and Sensor capability, Weather and tactical situation dependant:

No weps or sensor issues, OK Wx, and manageable threat tatical situation: Continue with Right MFCD

Nav = Map/Compass/Airspeed (old school pilotage. The grey matter can NAV as good as the best avionics and does not power fail or hardware malf out ;) )

Bad wx: Divert using HSI and ADF: non precision approach and or GCI.

# 2 is a, trained for, night time, partial panel, non precision ADF/ VOR int (HSI) approach to fields served by those navaids.

If I had maps relavent maps

Asp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Scenario # 1, nothing serious.

Scenario # 2, select airbase as waypoint and navigate with HSI which will show range and direction to the waypoint.

Your flying in a canyon to hide from a SA-15 Tor. When you are just about to make a left turn following the river you see a missile indication at two o'clock. An IR sam system but you do not know what type obviously. You can easily evade this first shot by hopping over the canyon wall straight ahead but then you are in reach for the Tor. What whould you do?

Choose to fly by the IR system of possibly any type from manpads to sa-13 in the narrow canyon or go against the Tor.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Scenario 1 continue the mission as long as the jet is stable. Reprogram your MFD buttons and press on baby!

Scenario 2 Hope to hell you have a wingman!!!! Also if HUD is still up cycle through your waypoints till you find the nearest airport. All airports seem to be programed into the CDU. They are alphabetical starting after your last programmed waypoint.

Nope hud wasn't up other than the ladder really. No wingman either it was that operation pushback mission.

How do you reprogram your buttons? Once the thing is offline its off! I tried rebooting it etc.. There somethign in the manual I'm missing?

---

Nope hud wasn't up other than the ladder really. No wingman either it was that operation pushback mission.

How do you reprogram your buttons? Once the thing is offline its off! I tried rebooting it etc.. There somethign in the manual I'm missing?

I think he means programming the working MFCD to show more buttons. Think that can be done.

1. Hold one of the bottom MFD buttons for a couple of seconds. A menu will appear.

2. Select the function you want to load.

3. Press the bottom MFD button you want to load it on.

4. Done.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Page 253.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 x64, Intel i7-970 6 Core, 12GB, ATI 5970, TrackIR 5 w/Clip, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals

Got hit? Climb, avoid increasing airspeed and RTB, regardless of what you see in way of damage. Try to find a buddy to give you a look-over. Verify flyability in landing configuration while still at sufficient altitude.

There may be other damage which you cannot see the effect of immediately. Your presence over the battlefield today, at reduced efficiency, is not critical enough to put an expensive aircraft and a hard-to-replace pilot at risk for. Better go home, get it checked and repaired and be back to fly later. Only valid exception would be if you are the only available support for guys on the ground about to be overrun or something similar, where the feces are really interfering with the ventilation, but that would be the very rare exception. Hopefully, or you are losing the war big time.

Wouldn't just swapping the MFDs as needed be a safer solution than messing with reprogramming buttons while nursing a damaged jet?

As for getting home sans MFDs in crud weather, you still have the CDU, ADI and HSI. Program waypoints, get a VNAV profile in there to approach an airport on a safe heading. In good weather, you have (gasp!) a map.

1. Hold one of the bottom MFD buttons for a couple of seconds. A menu will appear.

2. Select the function you want to load.

3. Press the bottom MFD button you want to load it on.

4. Done.

Cool... you learn something every day :) I'll try that tonight.

---

:Hijack Alert:

As there is no dynamic campaign:

In case of engine fire->dive towards nearest Shilka and ...GUNS GUNS GUNS!

:Hijack Over:

Wouldn't just swapping the MFDs as needed be a safer solution than messing with reprogramming buttons while nursing a damaged jet?

Can't beleive I am not doing this. I always reprogram the MFCDs. I have a vague memory that I tried it long ago and it didn't work in that situation. I must revisit this thanks.

Definately reprogram once the emergency is over. I'ts fairly quick and easy.

:Hijack Alert:

As there is no dynamic campaign:

In case of engine fire->dive towards nearest Shilka and ...GUNS GUNS GUNS!

:Hijack Over:

Wouldn't it make more sense to do that if there was a dynamic campaign, i.e. if you're likely to lose your jet anyway, may as well get rid of an enemy AD while you're at it?

Without a dynamic campaign, there's no reward for such courageous self-sacrifice. Aside from it being fun, of course.

Can't believe I am not doing this. I always reprogram the MFCDs. I have a vague memory that I tried it long ago and it didn't work in that situation. I must revisit this thanks.
I do recall that swapping the MFCDs didn't work when was damaged, but I don't think I've tried it recently. My guess is the information about what's being displayed on the broken MFCD will be lost when whatever's displaying the data is damaged.

In a dynamic campaign such as Falcon 4.0, keeping the pilot alive was paramount as death meant the end of the campaign. You could revive him of course but to me that was cheating.

As soon as you received minimal damage and felt the missions probability of success was lowered, you would bug out and desperately nurse your sick bird home. It really encouraged you to learn the backup systems like RMI etc...

Of course the set piece missions in the DCS series just work better, so its pros and cons I guess.

Sorry to the OP, but I guess this is kind of on topic.

BiPod.

In a dynamic campaign such as Falcon 4.0, keeping the pilot alive was paramount as death meant the end of the campaign. You could revive him of course but to me that was cheating.

Fair enough. But if you're the "dead is dead" type, then getting killed means the end of your "career" in DCS, and you'd have to create a new logbook. Not sure if you can continue a campaign if you create a new pilot entry in DCS...

Actually, that's a really good point. I was "dead is dead" in Falcon but not in Blackshark. (deliberately holding off serious campaigning in A10 until release). I never really thought about the paradox in my thinking. I guess it was because "dead is dead" was default in falcon, but not in Blackshark.

BiPod.