[KNOWN] Good ol' Deck Sliding

Danny_P

The deck sliding bug in MP was raised already for the choppers a few weeks ago. Landing on a perfectly still Tarawa (I don't even dare to have a moving boat anymore in MP) in a nice smooth touch down with no forward speed, and your aircraft is sliding forward all the way down into the water unless you are pulling the collective and take off.

I wish this bug was affecting the F18 so we can have a quick fix from ED. Well at least it is affecting the shiny new F14 so there is a chance for us choppers to see this bug taken into account.

While wording my response this afternoon Pikey posted the above, so i will forgo trying to explain the problem along with and just post the tracks as more evidence.

I will simply state and reiterate what Pikey has said regarding the jumping through hoops on our part and percieved ignorance/avoidance off issues on ED's, when we're trying to put across valid concerns. This particular bug/limitation is one of many, many problems within DCS that have existed for years over various modules and versions of the game. Thus because of the lack of acknowledgement from ED, they are buried in various guises throughout the different bug forums.

With that being said here are some track files recorded last night on the latest open beta build in a dedicated server enviroment. Ping's at no point during this test exceeded 30/40ms for either client. I would just like to make an addition to one of Pikeys' points.

Cold (parking brake on or off) and all tested modules will 'glue' and roll with the ship.

While this is true, you also experience sliding/skipping around in a cold aircraft, just not as pronounced, which like an aircraft under power can result in alot of movement around the deck.

The following tracks were recorded on the mission i posted and a modified version with higher wind speed. The conditions in the first mission are really quite moderate and the ships' manouvers gentle. All tracks show shifting around the deck and most result in a collision or sliding off the deck completely. Also you can quite clearly hear the ground crew during refuel, give you the "Hey what are doing?" sound, as you slide/shift around. Please pay attention in general to how much movement there is on the aircraft from the position they start in.

The second mission for which there are two tracks, has increased wind speed therefor an increase in pitch and roll on the deck. The carrier also completes a larger turn, this shows clearly again the increase in this behaviour when the ship is manouvering.

I've included one track as an attachment which was small enough and shows a cold start f18 in chocks, sliding off the deck while defueling and changing aircraft weight. You see the initial movement when the defuel begins, there is then a big shift once the carrier begins to turn. Resulting in the f18 going over the deck and exploding, in a situation all too familiar to those playing in servers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agt94tm3l9hhxxd/DeckSliding.7z?dl=0

As an addition to this, i would like to point out the following thread. Which similar to this problem, was a persistant long term issue. Was recently and may i say seemingly reluctantly, with high ping being cited or implied as a possible cause, reported. This is now tumbling down into the archives with the thread closed, with no acknowlegment of the problem from ED really. I only mention this particular thread because i believe there is a connection to the deck sliding or more specifically, the method being used currently to "stick" aircraft to the deck, but that is besides the point. There are plenty of examples of long standing issues which have been [REPORTED] and then vanished, with no solution, sometimes years later.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232362&page=5

DeckSlidingTestCau-20190328-201011.trk

Edited by Shadow.D.

So where is your short simple track showing the issue? If you can reproduce it so easy, then, by all means, I would be happy to submit a report, but I have been checking out a number of different servers and I don't see any sliding, except with the Tomcat.
The Huey is only "locked" to the deck when its engines are off. As soon as you crank an engine it's sliding all over the place.

While the F-18 is sitting still (relative to the ship) it's also locked to the deck. As soon as it starts taxiing the Hornet slips, though the severity is somewhat masked by the plane's forward movement. The slip and slide is painfully obvious though when slowly attempting to line up with the shuttle, until forward movement is low enough that the plane conspicuously re-locks to the deck.

You know this.

I am very disappointed that we have to jump through these hoops just to get this defined, I expected this to be well understood by the testing team, so it does lead me to the conclusion that either the testing team doesn't have any idea about the game, it's limits and history of helicopters sliding off decks over the years, or they know about them and are simply trying to evade issues that ED "will not fix". To imagine that in the last ten years you haven't seen this is to presume ignorance, and I don't believe the testing team are ignorant, I strongly believe this is being evaded.
Perfectly said.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• ED Team

I am very disappointed that we have to jump through these hoops just to get this defined, I expected this to be well understood by the testing team, so it does lead me to the conclusion that either the testing team doesn't have any idea about the game, it's limits and history of helicopters sliding off decks over the years, or they know about them and are simply trying to evade issues that ED "will not fix". To imagine that in the last ten years you haven't seen this is to presume ignorance, and I don't believe the testing team are ignorant, I strongly believe this is being evaded.

Your post was great up till the added commentary, we ask for bugs to be reported a certain way, to suggest its some sort of evasion tactic via forcing users to jump through hoops is not constructive feedback. Also, FMs and the core have changed a lot over the years to suggest the fix then is the same as it might be now is incorrect. I appreciate the tracks, and the added info, I know a lot of this is known, as well as I have a planned MP test tomorrow where we are gonna look at it again. If you don't enjoy the process of reporting bugs by the means we request, it is totally optional, although we appreciate everyones efforts to help us pinpoint and report issues.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png