Dynamic Inclement Weather

Habu_69

It’s been a year (or more) since I’ve paid any serious attention to dynamic weather. So I could be wrong. Wind strength in a region determines the amount of rain and cloud cover. That being said, however, the current clouds in the sim will never give you overcast skies under any conditions with dynamic weather. I haven’t taken the time to see if changing the cells from circles to ovals of varying severity, etc makes a difference but I don’t see why it would.

As near as I can tell, the number, location, and strength of the cells determines the direction and speed of the weather’s movement across the map.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Winds do blow, from high to low.

Cyclones are are rotating air around a pocket

Pressure difference determines strength of wind

Dynamic weather doesn't give overcast. Precipitation im not sure, might be random or not at all on dynamic.

Dynamic weather isn't that good sadly.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Dynamic weather doesn't give overcast. Precipitation im not sure, might be random or not at all on dynamic.

Its possible to have a little precipitation with dynamic weather but you need to play with very low pressures and heavy winds.

The dynamic weather needs a LOT of development.

It used to give overcast until the new clouds were introduced. The wind/rain interaction remains the same. But where you used to have solid clouds before, you now have “sun showers”. This is the same “flight” in the two versions of the sim.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Appreciate replies. Guess I will give up on dynamic weather until DCS commits resources to make it function properly. My goal was to develop a mission where the pilot departed in skanky wx east of Caucasus Mts, but target area west of mountains was fair. No go for now, unfortunately.

Here's what I've observed after making a few workable Dynamic Weather profiles:

1. Dynamic weather can't produce overcast. The most cloud coverage you can get is equivalent to 8 in the Static Weather settings.

2. Higher cloud density results in higher chances of precipitation.

3. If you don't alter the pressure system sizes, you'll have to give insane pressure differences (e.g. 1000Pa) between the systems to get enough cloud coverage and precipitation. Problem: winds are now in the 100+ kt range.

4. If you make the low pressure systems smaller, you can get more clouds and precipitation with smaller pressure differences (as low as 40-50Pa) and winds will be manageable (e.g. 10-30kts). Problem: Now you have unrealistically small pressure systems.

Appreciate replies. Guess I will give up on dynamic weather until DCS commits resources to make it function properly. My goal was to develop a mission where the pilot departed in skanky wx east of Caucasus Mts, but target area west of mountains was fair. No go for now, unfortunately.

Tinker with the pressure differences and the temperature, you tend to get precipitation along the weather fronts more than anything else.

It's a fine art of stabbing in the dark with a sledgehammer but you can get some drizzly weather without hurricane winds.

Mess around with using multiple low pressure systems and a large high pressure one, or vice versa and you'll be able to get a feel like what you're after.

I'm often messing about to make horrible conditions for landings and fair target weather, much prefer the dynamic weather system as it (strangely) synchronises with other players better. I cannot stand the perfect conditions prevalent on most servers, with the same EXACT wind for landing on the carrier every time, the same picture perfect blue sky, the whole environment feels stagnant and dull without some weather.

With static weather it can be raining for one person and clear sky for the other :/ at least with dynamic weather it tends to start raining for everyone around the same time, the frustration being things like fog & dust don't seem fussed about dynamic weather at all.

Here's a few example weather systems from the webs to get you started, tinker with them in notepad and see how you fair.

Also worth noting that the clouds tend to sink in the evening and rise in the morning, so if you want the clouds to sink into the valleys as time goes on, go for a late start ;)

BKN-RA-Mountains.lua

BKN-RA-Anapa-Kobuleti.lua

BKN-RA-Coastal.lua

Wouldn't it be great if there was a tab to download current weather for the map, which would match up with the time in ME.

• Like 1

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

You can download real weather via mod and scripting, but it still doesn't help make it anything like what is out there at the time.

The main restrictions are that clouds don't sync in MP so ED doesn't give us any more than patches of random fluff to fake the sync.

Some of the defects with Dynamic are indeed the clouds, especially cannot get overcast (we have two levels in static weather, 9/10, 10/10 cloud). Wind and air pressure is fairly ok, but i'd argue most people want the visible effects of weather. It's a very tactical thing, especially with modern bomb dropping and laser.

Notably, you don't seem to be able to generate the cloud base from dynamic and even in static weather the clouds height only affects the 9,10 full overcast scenarios.

Of course, we would love to see more, since flying and the weather are so intertwined. Combat and the weather are equally intertwined, but the current implementation of dynamic weather is too risky to have combat flights to use as a purely dynamic thing, it could mess up a mission design completely. Anyone who has tried to land or shoot in ridiculous crosswinds could tell you their rage against the mission designer! Faced that problem too many times and I just back down now.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a tab to download current weather for the map, which would match up with the time in ME.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *