[CANNOT REPRODUCE] Cockpit light flickering

BONGSOO

confirmed in 2.5.4.30038

I hope some day this bug will be acknowledged. I not hope for a fix.

steps to reproduce:

0. options cockpit shadows to off or flat

1. FLY with fa18c (not on ground)

2. extend refueling probe

3. look the cockpit instruments

4. make a 360 degree turn

5. watch the plane outside also from front during movements

2,5,4,30038_cockpit_shadows_off_or_flat_fa18c-refuleprobeflickering.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Confirm cockpit and probe have a flickering lighting when shadows are set to flat or OFF.

Additional clues:

The shading artifacts often have soft edges, like a shadow map. This contradicts the "flat" and OFF setting. edit: The light is a circular projection map that seems to get bigger and smaller as you move, and wobble around as you change orientation.

The command "exterior lights switch ON/OFF" will toggle the distortion on and off.

My guess is that extending the probe creates an erroneous light source that has its shadow mapping forced on, and this false shadow is z-fighting with the flat shading.

Edited by Preendog

The probe light is causing the issue.

When you extend the probe on the ground, the light works normally. It leaves a light spot on the ground in front of you, and there is no bug.

When you taxi away from your starting position, the light spot gradually disappears, and then the flickering begins. I want to say the flickering light always seems to originate from your starting position on the ground, or at least, is somehow related to it. Toggling external lights will stop the flickering.

It's like the probe light is not attached to your plane, or starts jittering around when you start moving, or something.

edit: lol, just realized this was already in the thread :)

If you want to see the bug best, set the game to night-time, and repeatedly extend and retract the probe. The distortion moves while the probe is in motion.

Edited by Preendog

• 2 months later...

This glitch obviously has been fixed. Even when I turn my shadows to off completely in settings page, the flashes does not occur any more when I extend my probe in the FA-18C.

Great job ED.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Have yet to look outside view up.

Before now, the annoying flickering was occurring within the cockpit when I put shadow in either none or flat only. The only way I could get rid of the flickering was when I put shadow in low.

Great to have none of the flickering when shadow is turned of.

Apparently some work went into correcting that.

Will have to check playback file to see.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset