Need some help flying straight and level

sze5003

Recently got the Huey a week ago and went through the tutorials. I have rudder pedals and in the Misc tab I unchecked rudder trim and left trim to default.

I'm using the warthog stick and throttle. I can somewhat take off while not making it look like I'm dancing all over the place. Even with left rudder and the cyclic back and left sometimes I apply collective and it just starts spinning around or going to the left. If I apply right rudder it just ends up landing while trying to hover.

I manage to get off the ground, hover first then push cyclic forward slowly and then release rudder pedals to neutral. Great, in the air and moving forward. I increase collective to climb and I do climb a bit but then I push cyclic forward and it's like there is no response, I press pilot trim and let go of my stick, the controls interface shows that cyclic stayed where I put it. Ok good but now I expect it to go forward and it doesn't. Even after it's trimmed there the nose of the helicopter climbs up almost as if I'm going to go inverted, so I apply more forward pressure on the cyclic until it evens itself out and then press pilot trim.

I'm back somewhat level and looks like I'm going forward but extremely slowly? Then it just starts going nose up again.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Also when I press trim reset the nose goes straight up if I'm already at some altitude.

Watched a bunch of videos where people are at like 2-3k feet but moving forward fairly fast. Their control surfaces are similar to what I put mine at but for me it never ends up flying striaght and level like I expect.

Any tips would be appreciated, it's a fun ride but very different. I'd like to start the included campaign but I feel like it will take me ages to get to the required waypoints the way I'm flying it.

Cyclic X and Y I put a curvature of 22 on each and no deadzones according to one of the YouTube Huey survival videos I found.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Well, the trim is way far from the trim in an airplane. Prarcially, I dont use it at all. There is no way im familair with, in which you can hands off the controls and the chopper will remain trimmed. Doesn't Work that way is chopper.

It means you need to put pressure on the stick all the time. And move it all the time. This is how you fly choppers.

Lots of practice, but this is the only way.

You can, if you want, hack your controller so it won't recenter like it does by default. Did that to my TM. It Helped, but then I wanted to go by to my f15 and its less convinient.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Also seems like my force trim button that I have mapped doesn't do anything. Pilot trim does..I don't mind having to hold the stick forward since I am getting a new virpil warBRD base and that will make it easier and smoother, not so heavy like the warthog.

I thought trim was so that you could put the cyclic where you want it and if it's forward, it would make you go forward. In the ka 50 this is how it works but I know it's way different since this has no dampening auto pilot.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

What airspeed do you reach? What does the speed indicator say? Don't judge speed on perceived movement. 90kts are fairly good marching speed with not to much load.

The nose up are most likely due to "flap-back" I believe, an aerodynamic phenomenon caused by your speed forward, the faster you fly the more tendency for nose-up and increased need for forvard cyclic (I don't go into physics here). So you don't place the cyclic and leve it, but rather adjust it forvard slowly continously while speed increases, until you reach the speed you want, then reduce collective slightly if you still accelerate or climbing. Basically an act of balance, like always with helicopters.

Regarding curves and stuff, when you start feeling confident, start reducing any such things. Strive to not have any manipulated axis behavior, best for helicopters. Also if you can, remove any centering springs and detents on your joystick, for the same reason. Best is to add some extention to it and place it between your legs, but that is for when you really get stuck on helicopters and don't want to go back to any fixed wing (believe me, it will happen...)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I think I was going around 75 knots after I took off and was messing around. If the cyclic constantly has to be moved is there a point to use the pilot trim?

My force trim doesn't seem to do anything that I notice. Maybe it is a good idea to remove the curves on the joystick. I'll remove them and see if I notice a difference. The curves at first helped me take off without too much issue while attempting to ground hover.

Think of the trim as simply a way to re-centre the stick. The factors effecting a helicopter in flight are forever changing, and unless you are flying at a constant speed, on a constant heading in relation to the wind, not climbing or sinking, and with the power and tail rotor in equilibrium, you will still need to keep making minor changes to any and all the controls.

Basically, you're sitting in something that wants to crash, and you are wrestling to stop it from getting it's way.

Add to all that, the need to practice practice practice, and you're starting to get the picture I think.

I'd say you were doing great for the first week, having got the thing started, and off the ground the right side up! Keeping it there is the next step, and then you'll face the really hard bit - landing it where you want it to land.

Thanks for the input. I managed to land it too on the runway. The harder part was getting it to the parking spot. I sort of did the electric slide into the parking spot.

I also find myself not using the trim much at all and just focusing on constantly moving the stick to get it flying where I want it to go. I got it up to 90 knots in the air but I guess when you've been flying the f18 it feels like you're not moving much.

I will have to keep practicing keeping it at a constant altitude so I'm not dropping when I want to go forward and then bobbing up and down. Really takes a lot of coordination and I realize how nicer rudder pedals would make it much easier I suppose. I use the TFRP pedals and they are fine for now, since I mainly fly jets but with the summer sale I couldn't say no to the Huey since I already have the KA-50. The mi8 also looks interesting but seems like a bus with propellers so i may pick that one up later down the road.

If you're trimming for level whilst the aircraft is still building or losing speed, then you'll just be chasing it, for level you'd manipulate the primary flight controls to hold straight and level; then once the airspeed has settled, i.e. it is no longer increasing or decreasing; then trim.

That's not the end of it though, it'll never be completely hands off, trim isn't really meant to enable that, it's more about pressure relief, so you'll need to continually fly the Huey, aviate.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Recently got the Huey a week ago and went through the tutorials. I have rudder pedals and in the Misc tab I unchecked rudder trim and left trim to default.

I'm using the warthog stick and throttle. I can somewhat take off while not making it look like I'm dancing all over the place. Even with left rudder and the cyclic back and left sometimes I apply collective and it just starts spinning around or going to the left. If I apply right rudder it just ends up landing while trying to hover.

I manage to get off the ground, hover first then push cyclic forward slowly and then release rudder pedals to neutral. Great, in the air and moving forward. I increase collective to climb and I do climb a bit but then I push cyclic forward and it's like there is no response, I press pilot trim and let go of my stick, the controls interface shows that cyclic stayed where I put it. Ok good but now I expect it to go forward and it doesn't. Even after it's trimmed there the nose of the helicopter climbs up almost as if I'm going to go inverted, so I apply more forward pressure on the cyclic until it evens itself out and then press pilot trim.

I'm back somewhat level and looks like I'm going forward but extremely slowly? Then it just starts going nose up again.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Also when I press trim reset the nose goes straight up if I'm already at some altitude.

Watched a bunch of videos where people are at like 2-3k feet but moving forward fairly fast. Their control surfaces are similar to what I put mine at but for me it never ends up flying striaght and level like I expect.

Any tips would be appreciated, it's a fun ride but very different. I'd like to start the included campaign but I feel like it will take me ages to get to the required waypoints the way I'm flying it.

Cyclic X and Y I put a curvature of 22 on each and no deadzones according to one of the YouTube Huey survival videos I found.

Can I suggest that you do not use curvature on the Huey, the reason is the CoG shifts and curvature acts on the centre range of the input device. With the Huey if you want less sensitivity use saturation which is linear over the input range however this will also reduce absolute range but this shouldn't be a problem with a joystick whilst your learning. As you get confident you will be able to reduce the amount of saturation the biggest mistake people make is over correcting the inputs and causing more work for themselves otherwise known as Pilot Induced Oscillation or PIO. :D

Also try not to use trim start with neutral settings and just do pick up set down hovering and slow manoeuvring this will give you a feel for how the inputs interact as an aside I do not use trim on any of the helicopters but I don't use a joystick as such either.

I'm going to be harsh here, forget flying at 80Kts master hover, pick up, and set down first, every thing else stems from that most basic operation then get transitioning through ETL down pat.

Another thing to check is that there are not duplicate entries in the controls setup, sometimes DCS will happily assign multiple inputs to the same control.

With the Huey you will need pedal input pretty much through all aspect of fight,

Hint the Huey and even the Mi8 are very manoeuvrable helis

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I think I will remove the curvature on my X and Y axis. I have the hover check working for a bit but i think the curvature is messing me up and still pushing the Helo to the left even with left rudder in.

I found this mission here which seems great and I can use it for practicing taking off and navigating.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195422

I am having an issue with the radios. I set all radios on and tune to 132 am for Senaki, press my comms menu button on the warthog but I never hear anything from ATC. Pressing the test button next to the VHF radio I hear static so it means it is on.

Tried also using the radio in the startup tutorial and same thing, I don't hear anything.

In they huey the cyclic,pedals and collective are each dependent on the other two move one compensate with the other two

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Finally sort of getting the hang of it. Got the landings down without getting too unstable. Was able to land near troops and then at a home base usng that training misison I found. I think a few more goes at it with using adf and ils and I should feel comfy enough to start the UN campaign. It really is a lot of fun and I'm digging the music radio channel that training misison has while you are flying about.

Edited by sze5003

I am having an issue with the radios. I set all radios on and tune to 132 am for Senaki, press my comms menu button on the warthog but I never hear anything from ATC. Pressing the test button next to the VHF radio I hear static so it means it is on.

I've noticed that default ATC frequency in uh-1h is UHF and not AM. If you contact ATC using AM radio, like in A-10C, they do not answer. Use UHF frequency and ATC answers. I don't know if it's a bug, but I think it's not (the manual states that default radio in uh-1h is UHF).

According to level flight, as all have already said, helicopters can't be flown hands off your hotas like a properly trimmed jet. You always have to do small adjustments even if you have trimmed.

I've noticed that default ATC frequency in uh-1h is UHF and not AM. If you contact ATC using AM radio, like in A-10C, they do not answer. Use UHF frequency and ATC answers. I don't know if it's a bug, but I think it's not (the manual states that default radio in uh-1h is UHF).

According to level flight, as all have already said, helicopters can't be flown hands off your hotas like a properly trimmed jet. You always have to do small adjustments even if you have trimmed.

Figured it out. So comms menu does not work in the Huey like it does in the Jets. I had to have the pilot radio mapped to my hotas. There's also ics radio which I also mapped to the same hat switch. I thought I had these mapped because I used Chuck's guide before getting started but I have no idea what happened. I think I didn't like having the radio on the trigger detents.

I believe I have successfully contacted ATC with both AM and UHF. Just be careful to have the "Transmit - Interphone Selector switch" at the correct position, position 2 for UHF (default) and position 3 for AM. Position INT is the ICS if using the pilot radio for the ground crew if I'm not completely off.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

You are right for ICS. According to radio freq., I believed to have used VHF AM (intercom 3 position) quite recently to call ATC, but the last two times I've tried only UHF (intercom 2 position) worked. Maybe it's not always the same radio but it depends on the airfield. I'm quite sure NTTR Nellis AFB answers only on UHF, maybe (but I'm not sure) some Caucasus ATC uses VHF AM.

I will try it next time I fly, might be a while though, going for a long road trip next week, need to pack.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

For flying helo's, I found the mod below to be invaluable. But you don't need it if you have an extension for your TM. But for helo's you really need one or the other.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well the good thing about that mod is that it's easily reversable if you don't like it. I won't do it because my virpil stuff should be shipping tomorrow hopefully and that new base should be better even if I still use the warthog grip.

Well the good thing about that mod is that it's easily reversable if you don't like it. I won't do it because my virpil stuff should be shipping tomorrow hopefully and that new base should be better even if I still use the warthog grip.

Yup, exactly. As a matter of fact, when I got my extensions, I undid the mod and swapped the springs again.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yup, exactly. As a matter of fact, when I got my extensions, I undid the mod and swapped the springs again.
I also fly jets a lot. Did you notice any negatives when doing this mod for fixed wing aircraft? Looks like the virpil stuff won't ship until next week now so I'll have to deal with the crappy warthog gimbal for some more time.

huey hard ship landing instant action mission from Persian gulf map.

I'm using a warthog with no main spring and no extension.

I fly the harrier and mig 21 fine with no main spring.

also works well for the war birds.

in the a10 it can be a little easy to knock the autopilot off when looking at a MFD. by moving the stick.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I also fly jets a lot. Did you notice any negatives when doing this mod for fixed wing aircraft? Looks like the virpil stuff won't ship until next week now so I'll have to deal with the crappy warthog gimbal for some more time.

No, for me it was much easier because I wasn't fighting the centering spring. Everyone is different, I'm sure, but I liked the light touch when using the spring mod WITHOUT extensions.

Once I got it, the added moment arm meant that the springs needed to go back to the original configuration.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---