Trim changes too drastic at high speeds

This is coming from a non pilot but rather just gut feel so:music_whistling:

One of my fond memories is of a sim I flew many moons ago that changed trim only by the planes airspeed.Sorry that I cant remember which of the sims it was as I flew so many they all melded into one decades later.No RPM controls and no trim controls either so trim changed solely by airspeed.

Planes in DCS feel off to me.if you are flying at 500mph and cut throttle or change RPM the plane trim changes drastically.It reacts like you are going slow meanwhile the mass of the plane is flying thru air at 500mph.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Nope, you're not alone. Thousands of aircraft out there in the real World feel the same, luckily.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• ED Team
This is coming from a non pilot but rather just gut feel so:music_whistling:

One of my fond memories is of a sim I flew many moons ago that changed trim only by the planes airspeed.Sorry that I cant remember which of the sims it was as I flew so many they all melded into one decades later.No RPM controls and no trim controls either so trim changed solely by airspeed.

Planes in DCS feel off to me.if you are flying at 500mph and cut throttle or change RPM the plane trim changes drastically.It reacts like you are going slow meanwhile the mass of the plane is flying thru air at 500mph.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

And not only that. You will feel a lot of difference in stability of the plane: the plane you definetely feel stable at low and medium power rates become neutral or unstable at full power, diving at low/medium altitude requires stick forward pressure, while diving at high altitude leads to opposite stick input at the same IAS... Pulling g at low and high altide at the same IAS are different too..

Just as in RL.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thats what I am asking about.Stability at high speeds is not felt by me.I would think that at 500mph the stabilizers and especially the wing would counteract all the torque effects when you suddenly cut the throttle to idle.In DCS you cut the throttle and the plane will start banking and yawing which feels the same as at low speed.

Is there a difference in low to high speed and I am just not feeling it?

Sorry more time has convinced me that the planes actually are more stable at high speeds.Disregard this whole post. ;)

500mph in ww2 plane i would call that far from stable if you are talking about ww2.

and nobody is cutting throttle at 500mph in piston driven plane :P

first plane would start decelerating very quickly becouse drag is enormous at those speeds second propeler when the power from engine is removed starts acting like air brake

secondly you would overcool your engine very quickly it could lead even to engien jamm at high rpm

let me ask you a question what exactly mean "react drasticly" is plane pulling some gs becouse of that ??

couple years ago there was a crash involving p-51 modified for air racing at about 500mph plane lost one of it's elevator trim tab, plane pitch up with g load at about 14-15g blacking up pilot imidietly. Almost the same situation happening to plane with 500mph whne sudden lost of engine power will happen ofc the plane is slowing down very rapidly but those planes are more stable in mid range speeds so plane is slowing down in to safe speed not cousing any disaster. This trip tab lost simulated plane acceleation form 150mph to 500mph in split second so much more voilent. remember faster you go smaler thing can harm you. Faster you go more effort will require to stablize plane. At higher speeds vibration on control surfaces occure that why whne you look closly on p-51 or bf109 you can find counter weights on rudders elevators this things show up when planes fly faster.

So at high speeds you are far from stable

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I did post to disregard the whole post but ok I will bite.The planes in WW2 DCS are not flying realistic.This is coming from a person who has never flown a WW2 plane:pilotfly:

Serious,,,the planes exhibit strange reactions that just dont feel right to me and so I post about em here. I want DCS to thrive in WW2 which right now its stagnant and if the planes feel all wonky and super hard to fly it wont happen.

Look at this video where real life yak52 pilot reviews the DCS 52.One of the things I complained about is how the planes porpoise on take off.No video in cockpit I have ever seen shows the pilot in cockpit making massive pitch changes on take off.I mean why does that happen?Same power setting and speed is gradually increasing causing severe nose down attitude?Look at 10:30 where he says it has a tendency to sink upon take off which DOES NOT happen in real yak52.

I must edit the above post by saying the DCS P51 is magnifique!!! Just feels superb for me a pilot of no experience ;) :pilotfly:

you will never have 100% realism in sims. but ww2 planes are very hard to fly. Discconetion between pilot and plane in sim game will be alwayes the biggest factor here. dcs yak-52 has some issues like every plane in dcs. but fligh model is decent. But i noticed that some planes has tendency to sink just after lift off you need apply back stick to not hit ground. maby its connected to ground effect passing away to quickly i dont know.

But i dont think so that flight model is completly wrong as you state.

take it form history charts most scoring kills count among germans pilots was bf109 it self nearly 30% deaths occure during t/o and landings accidents.

dont know about rest of the planes but i did watch numerous movies pilots commenting p-51 and i watched p-51 performing low speed stalls. DCS p-51 stalls in very similar way.

it was hard to me to take off and land warbirds in dcs but in time i learned how to do it now its easy sometime i think that is too easy :P

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

.This is coming from a person who has never flown a WW2 plane

1# Not seeing any excessive porpoising myself. The lift of course changes when you retract your gear and flaps so you'll need to retrim, but that's about it. And you do understand that PIOs are actually caused by the pilot?

2# With all due respect, but your opinion is of little worth. You have no RL experience of warbirds and yet claim the FM is wrong. Where's your evidence?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Changes of several 100HP if not almost 1000HP, acting on a gyroscopic mass, at a distance of 3-5m from the pivot point (C of G)?

I suggest you google some videos on conservation of angular momentum and see what curious effects spinning masses have when bicycle tyres are spun at a paltry 2-300rpm.

Now imagine those masses, powers and distances increased by a factor of 10 or 100. You seriously think control surface airflow is going to negate those effects?

The news about the new 190 peaked my interest again.And funny thing but just now while flying the horrible 109 I looked at my axis tuning and saw it had a huge dead zone for both pitch and roll.

No idea how that got in there but I removed it and the plane feels a lot better now.I mean at least it makes some sense in how it feels.The porpoise feel was me having no control around center and then making excess excess stick movements:joystick:

But please ED fix the trackir implementation.Make all planes feel the same as turning your head should not feel different when you sit in different planes.I know it was super tight in the 109's but:doh:

No idea how that got in there but I removed it and the plane feels a lot better now.I mean at least it makes some sense in how it feels.The porpoise feel was me having no control around center and then making excess excess stick movements:joystick:

But please ED fix the trackir implementation.Make all planes feel the same as turning your head should not feel different when you sit in different planes.I know it was super tight in the 109's but:doh:

Well, I have an slight idea how it could get there as default profile is a straight input :lol: :thumbup: .

Now keep searching and maybe you discover something similar with your trackIR. Unless you keep changing profiles they're all the same for a same game. I don't feel any difference in trackIR profiles in different modules.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Now keep searching and maybe you discover something similar with your trackIR. Unless you keep changing profiles they're all the same for a same game. I don't feel any difference in trackIR profiles in different modules.

S!

You really feel the planes all have the same head movement implementation?Really? Turn off x/y/z in trackir and look at gunsight and then turn your head to either side and the gunsight disappears in the 109.This doesnt happen in the P51.

I guess I will be a P51 only pilot.Its ok as I love this plane.With warbrd stick and crosswind pedals I can track planes and spray bullets acoss their bellies as they try to evade me. :)

Cant wait for the rest of this...hope is growing again after latest announcement!!

:cry:Quick question....gonna post to bugs section but its way late and I must get sleep for work.When I pull G's and start blacking out instead of screen getting darker it turns green and its made up of small letters.Crazy thing when it first happened I thought I entered the matrix!! LOL

Looks like this when I black out!

XFFXFXFXFFXFFXFXFXFXFXFFXFXFXF

XFXFXFFXFXFFXFXFXFFXXFFXXFFXFX

XFXFXFXFXFXFXFXFFFFXFXFXFXFXFX

• 7 months later...

[/ATTACH]I want to clarify that I really love the simulation, especially the realistic one, it doesn't matter if it puts me in difficulty. About the loss of altitude after take-off, we need to take into account the effect P: it is the yawing moment that the propeller generates when you fly at high angles of incidence (flight uphill or downhill). This is caused by the fact that the blades meet the air with a different relative speed but I found a pattern that helps a little to understand. In any case I believe the effect in DCS is simulated and for this reason we can sometimes encounter difficulties when taking off with propeller planes.

propeller-blade-asymmetric-loading-5-638.jpg.08f84a8d4644c1ce99ae66eb0f0bb53c.jpg

Edited by oreste
load image

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado