3 minutes ago, Zachrix said:

Oh its okay no server is updated so I am sitting here doing BFM against AI

The server has been online for at least an hour now but no one's in it 😉

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

4 hours ago, Admiral_ZIPANGU said:

The Ammo track on the Blue side seems to have replaced the M818 with the M939. This may affect the CTLD script...

Just checked. The new Blue ammo truck is the "Truck M939 Heavy". However, it's saved as "M 818" in the core lua scripts of DCS. That being said all Blue ammo trucks are now M939's without me doing anything (which saves a lot of work). And I think this is due to not changing the code name of that unit which is "M 818". I don't think this is causing the problem CTLD, but I might wrong.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

26 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Just checked. The new Blue ammo truck is the "Truck M939 Heavy". However, it's saved as "M 818" in the core lua scripts of DCS. That being said all Blue ammo trucks are now M939's without me doing anything (which saves a lot of work). And I think this is due to not changing the code name of that unit which is "M 818". I don't think this is causing the problem CTLD, but I might wrong.

I was relieved to know that my fears were unfounded. Now we just have to wait for the Mi-24 to fly around on this server.

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

9 hours ago, Sideburns said:

So just to clarify on this point, perhaps for people who have seen the AJ37 Viggen has seven* hardpoints, and also respectfully challenge the "not relying on self defence" suggestion:

• The outermost two wing pylons on the AJ37 were wired for the Rb28 Falcon only. Given that this weapon was not taken forward by the Swedish air force for the AJ37, due to poor weapon performance, the outer two AJ37 wing pylons were unused but physically present. This is why why they appear empty on some diagrams for AJ37, or don't appear at all, until the AJS-37 upgrade. The AJS37 upgrade enabled all six weapons pylons to carry Rb24/24j/74 if desired.**
  • The AJ37 "smart" weapon carriage appears to have been a function of computer weapon handling capacity and wiring, hence some diagrams indicating two Rb24 or Rb75 only in specific locations. 
  • It appears from Swedish air force documentation, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bCDRcq9BVeY0gycWRrMXVIdTA/view?resourcekey=0-oFS9Xlxr5xkcifaQ000kBA page 8,that permitted weapon loadouts changed over time (perhaps the air force figured out they could split the wiring for weapons between nearby pylons) and asymmetric loadouts were feasible. I would recommend considering these if you want some more flexibility in self defence (i.e. single Rb24/24j and/or countermeasure pod) at the expense of a little imbalance of the airframe. i.e. CM pod, Rb75, X-tank, Rb24j, Rb75 is quite a flexible loadout for contested airspace anti armour while being period correct. Conversely four Rb75 (AJ37 computer can only handle two at a time) with two Rb24/24j (outer wing pylons Rb28 only) would not be correct for an AJ37.
  • As per documentation, and the designation of the Viggen, the AJ37 was a strike fighter with an airspace defence / fighter role if required. Gunpod, CM pod, dual Rb24j and an X-tank is a valid AJ37 loadout.
  • Speed and extending from a bad situation still very much a valid tactic for the AJ37 being as it is among the fastest fighters at low level. Remember to eject stores to have the full 1400kph available currently.
  • As always pairing up and flying sensible formations providing mutual support will make you much more effective and survivable in any airframe.

Finally if we are discussing period correct airframes and weapons focus should the discussion now focus be on the Su25t, Ka-50 and Vikhr missile (prototypes, limited availability for combat or not available in this timeframe) and also the MiG21 being able to deploy the Grom (this has been questioned, limited evidence to suggest it should be capable). Will we also see similar restrictions or removal for these systems? . At the moment it seems blufor have been quite restricted whereas redfor get minimal restrictions. Appreciate Ka-50 soon to go due to Mi-24, but that should be with similar considerations towards period correct weapons.

* Sources also indicate an additional two wing pylons could be configured for a total of nine! But this was so rarely used it is not worth considering for DCS. Limited information on what these could carry but I would assume it is additional dumb weapons i.e. rockets and bombs.

** Carriage on the outer pylon was initially frowned upon by Saab engineers due to the increase weight of later Sidewinders impacting fatigue life of the wing. Eventually the air force and Saab came to an agreement on fatigue life expectations and the carriage was permitted (note this is a long term, over many years fatigue life issue, not the wing snaps immediately if outer pylon used issue).

RP-22 physically can't support Grom, which is part of why it was never used on the bis (the other part being that it was honestly a pretty crap weapon). In any case, the Grom kind of serves as a decoy to stop people using the ridiculously effective S-24, which is in most respects a better weapon in DCS (and honestly probably was IRL too, but in DCS it hits like the fist of an angry god). The Grom also seems a bit too potent, I know for at least a while the BF meta was to use them to oneshot command bunkers, as if they were concrete-piercing bombs. There are a whole bevy of issues ranging from CCIP existing for bombs (it shouldn't), CCIP being too accurate (it should be working off the slant range unit in much the same manner as the Viggen or Hind, not the radar or the invisible, always-on laser the module uses), to the obvious presence of weapons the aircraft shouldn't have. I'm fairly sure the RP-22 couldn't support the RS-2US either, but its presence kinda sorta simulates an MF, as the RP-21 on that variant couldn't support the R-3R so the beamers were its only option for radar missiles. I'm throwing together a spreadsheet of stuff that's either known to be wrong or needs further testing, and the 21 has a lot of problems, some of which are at least offset by the other modules sharing them. The biggest issues for air to air stuff are the lack of radar warning and that the jet seems to be too manoeuvrable at extreme low speeds, but where it's really kinda broken is air to ground.

As for the hardpoints - you're right, my brain turned "only 4 wired for used weapons" into "only 4". IMO they're functionally the same thing though for an AJ, which would be period correct.

Again, I'm totally for removal of the Ka-50 and Su-25T along with the Vikhr, and always have been. I'd actually like to see less precision weapons in general, for both sides, so the helicopter guys don't spend 90 mins slinging a unit somewhere only to have it effortlessly deleted by one guy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rossmum said:I'd actually like to see less precision weapons in general, for both sides, so the helicopter guys don't spend 90 mins slinging a unit somewhere only to have it effortlessly deleted by one guy.

I’m also for removing precision weapons, but only if short range Sam’s like the Avenger, SA13, SA9 etc. would be removed.
Keeping a single Manpad around to guard the the air, together with few light to medium armoured vehicles could work well for rocket and bomb strikes.  

Would be great if there were more large target objects, just like on the Mountain Cries and Open Range missions. 

I have seen flyers attack Farps on both sides, but is it really worth it?

The hilo pads will still be able to launch helicopters and run ctld ops, right?  

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

30 minutes ago, NELLUS said:

It's not the objective but why not. And no, they don't stop helicopters from spawning.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As soon as I (re)learn how to fly Helicopters (damn the Hind is sooooo different from the Mi-8) I will be joining this server. Hope you have some nice Syrian missions in place for us by then 🙂

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Server News:

- With the Mi-24P having so many bugs it will be added slowly to the missions WITHOUT removing all Ka-50's instantly.

- RB-24J missiles are now available in all missions.

* Operation Ossetia is back online:

- This mission is one of my first and a rework was necessary.

- Blue attacks! Red defends!

- Briefing and briefing images updated.

- AV-8B's and A-10C's removed (God, this mission is old!).

- Added MiG-29A's and F-14A's.

- Mi-8's can only deploy Shilkas, MANPAD's and ammo trucks. SA-6 crates and infantries removed.

- 5 hours mission time instead of 4.

- AWACS removed. EWR's added.

- If an EWR unit is destroyed a replacement is activated 60 seconds later.

Operation Ossetia:

Situation:

Red airbases: Kutaisi and Sukhumi-Babushara (Senaki-Kolkhi is not operational)
Blue airbases: Nalchik and Beslan

It is time to strike!

The Blue forces are focusing their air to ground missions on several vital areas around Kutaisi. The Red forces are therefore pouring all effort into stopping these attacks while flying CAP missions more than ever. The outcome of this battle will determine the destiny of the southern coastal region.

* Red wins if Blue fails to destroy all TA's within 5 hours.
* Blue wins if all TA's are destroyed in less than 5 hours.

Red Objectives:

Important Notes:

All aircraft (except for the MiG-29A's and L-39's) operate from Kutaisi airbase ONLY! That means pilots always have to RTB to Kutaisi and park their aircraft there (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and it becomes available again for tasking.

MiG-29A's operate from Sukhumi-Babushara airbase ONLY! Always RTB to Sukhumi and only to Sukhumi to save your Fulcrum so it becomes available again for tasking.

L-39's operate from the small airbase of the flight school at Kutaisi city. However, always RTB to Kutaisi airbase where you can rearm, refuel and also parking your aircraft before leaving the slot.

Reminder:

You can always land at any friendly airbase for repairing, rearming or refueling purposes. However, you can only park and leave your aircraft at the predetermined airbases as mentioned above.

NOTE:
You don't have to shut down your engines to save the aircraft. You only need to park it (not on the runway!) before you leave the slot and it becomes available again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Provide CAP all day long!

Areas you need to protect from enemy strikers:

- 3 road outposts at the town of Ambrolauri (bullseye).
- Pump stations at the Tqibuli Reservoir (the so-called Kutaisi Lake).
- The flight school airbase in the city of Kutaisi.
- The TV tower at Honi town.
- Refinery buildings, 1 km south of Senaki-Kolkhi airbase.

*** Check out the images and the marks on the F10 map ***
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mi-8's:

- Deploy Shilkas, MANPAD's and ammo trucks mainly around the bullseye.
- Deploy Shilkas, MANPAD's and ammo trucks at the pump stations.

Note that you can deploy your crates anywhere you see fit or the GCI operator (if available) asks you to. However, the above mentioned locations lack SA-6 coverage and therefore require your attention.

Mi-8's -> Picking up crates:
Bring up your radio menu, select F10 for CTLD and then whatever type of crates you want to pick up.

*** You can only pick up one crate at a time ***

For picking up a crate, maintain hover over it for 5 seconds while keeping an altitude of at least 7.5 meters and a maximum altitude of 15 meters.

To unpack a crate, make sure you're at least 7.5 km away from Kutaisi airbase.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Blue objectives:

Important Notes:

F-14A's operate from Beslan airbase ONLY! That means pilots always have to RTB to Beslan and park their Tomcat there (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and it becomes available again for tasking.

All the other aircraft operate from both Nalchik and Beslan airbases. While you can RTB to either of the two airbases, it is recommended to RTB to the airbase you started at to avoid transferring all aircraft to one airbase rendering slots at the other one useless.

NOTE:
You don't have to shut down your engines to save the aircraft. You only need to park it (not on the runway!) before you leave the slot and it becomes available again.

F-5's, F-86's and F-14A's:

- Provide CAP around the bullseye and further west.
- MiG-29A's operate from Sukhumi-Babushara so watch out!
- Feel free to test your striking skills.

* F-14A's have the same waypoints as the AJS37's. Check below *
AJS37's:

There are 5 target areas of high value that must be destroyed!

1- Waypoint 1 is the town of Ambrolauri (bullseye) where the enemy has three road outposts.
2- Waypoint 2 is the Tqibuli Reservoir (the so-called Kutaisi Lake). Destroy all 4 pump stations and the two water tanks.
3- Waypoint 3 is the flight school's runway in the city of Kutaisi. Destroy the flight school building.
4- Waypoint 4 is the TV tower at the town of Honi.
5- Waypoint 5 is Senaki-Kolkhi's airbase. Less than a mile south of the airbase are seven refinery buildings.

* Destroying the flight school building makes L-39's non-operational *

Important Notes:
- The first 2 waypoints are not covered by SAM SA-6 sites.
- The waypoints 3 and 4 are about 7 miles away from the closest SAM SA-6 site.
- 4 miles south of waypoint 5 is a SAM SA-6 site.

* If you follow the waypoints and stay on track you should avoid being detected by any SAM SA-6 site.
* Alternatively, approach the TA's directly from the north.
* Red operates from Kutaisi and Sukhumi-Babushara airbases.
* Note that Senaki-Kolkhi is Red but no aircraft operates from there.

important notes.png

road outposts.png

pump stations 1.png

pump stations 2.png

school 1.png

school 2.png

tv tower.png

refinery 1.png

refinery 2.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

28 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

- With the Mi-24P having so many bugs it will be added slowly to the missions WITHOUT removing all Ka-50's instantly.

- Mi-8's can only deploy Shilkas, MANPAD's and ammo trucks. SA-6 crates and infantries removed.

Operation Ossetia:

Situation:

It is time to strike!

The Blue forces are focusing their air to ground missions on several vital areas around Kutaisi. The Red forces are therefore pouring all effort into stopping these attacks while flying CAP missions more than ever. The outcome of this battle will determine the destiny of the southern coastal region.

Red Objectives:

Important Notes:

All aircraft (except for the MiG-29A's and L-39's) operate from Kutaisi airbase ONLY! That means pilots always have to RTB to Kutaisi and park their aircraft there (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and it becomes available again for tasking.

MiG-29A's operate from Sukhumi-Babushara airbase ONLY! Always RTB to Sukhumi and only to Sukhumi to save your Fulcrum so it becomes available again for tasking.

L-39's operate from the small airbase of the flight school at Kutaisi city. However, always RTB to Kutaisi airbase where you can rearm, refuel and also parking your aircraft before leaving the slot.

Reminder:

You can always land at any friendly airbase for repairing, rearming or refueling purposes. However, you can only park and leave your aircraft at the predetermined airbases as mentioned above.

NOTE:

Mi-8's:

Note that you can deploy your crates anywhere you see fit or the GCI operator (if available) asks you to. However, the above mentioned locations lack SA-6 coverage and therefore require your attention.

Bring up your radio menu, select F10 for CTLD and then whatever type of crates you want to pick up.

For picking up a crate, maintain hover over it for 5 seconds while keeping an altitude of at least 7.5 meters and a maximum altitude of 15 meters.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Blue objectives:

Important Notes:

F-14A's operate from Beslan airbase ONLY! That means pilots always have to RTB to Beslan and park their Tomcat there (not on the runway!) before leaving the slot. Doing so saves the aircraft and it becomes available again for tasking.

All the other aircraft operate from both Nalchik and Beslan airbases. While you can RTB to either of the two airbases, it is recommended to RTB to the airbase you started at to avoid transferring all aircraft to one airbase rendering slots at the other one useless.

NOTE:

AJS37's:

1- Waypoint 1 is the town of Ambrolauri (bullseye) where the enemy has three road outposts.
2- Waypoint 2 is the Tqibuli Reservoir (the so-called Kutaisi Lake). Destroy all 4 pump stations and the two water tanks.
3- Waypoint 3 is the flight school's runway in the city of Kutaisi. Destroy the flight school building.
5- Waypoint 5 is Senaki-Kolkhi's airbase. Less than a mile south of the airbase are seven refinery buildings.

Important Notes:

* If you follow the waypoints and stay on track you should avoid being detected by any SAM SA-6 site.

important notes.png

road outposts.png

pump stations 1.png

pump stations 2.png

school 1.png

school 2.png

tv tower.png

refinery 1.png

refinery 2.png

This was a fun mission of yours, glad to have it back! 🤩

• Like 1

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, NELLUS said:

I’m also for removing precision weapons, but only if short range Sam’s like the Avenger, SA13, SA9 etc. would be removed.
Keeping a single Manpad around to guard the the air, together with few light to medium armoured vehicles could work well for rocket and bomb strikes.  

Would be great if there were more large target objects, just like on the Mountain Cries and Open Range missions. 

You could bump the SHORAD down to Chaparral (which it used to be, for blue) and Strela (as opposed to Strela-10). Both are pretty crap, rear aspect, more likely to hit their own aircraft than what they're shooting at. They're pretty easy to defeat but will still catch people who blunder into them without paying attention.

Attacking FARPs is mostly something do to try inconvenience the helicopters, I think. I seem to recall you could destroy the fuel/ammo point at the FARP like you can with airfield fuel/ammo dumps, but I don't know if that's a thing with Alpen's nice new custom-built ones.

8 minutes ago, rossmum said:

You could bump the SHORAD down to Chaparral (which it used to be, for blue) and Strela (as opposed to Strela-10). Both are pretty crap, rear aspect, more likely to hit their own aircraft than what they're shooting at. They're pretty easy to defeat but will still catch people who blunder into them without paying attention.

Attacking FARPs is mostly something do to try inconvenience the helicopters, I think. I seem to recall you could destroy the fuel/ammo point at the FARP like you can with airfield fuel/ammo dumps, but I don't know if that's a thing with Alpen's nice new custom-built ones.

I will eventually remove the Strela-10 and the Avenger for the sake of the Strela and the Chaparral. It's just a lot of work! However, they will remain for AI to use at the main airbases to catch any intruders. So it will be the front line, FARP's, target areas, etc. where the Strela and the Chaparral are available. Oh, let's not forget the CTLD script! Will have to see how that works but I do remember having those two units available in the script years ago.

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Two Towns and operation Phone Booth:

- 14 x Mi-24's added -> 2 slots.

- All Su-25T's removed.

- All Ka-50's removed.

- Briefing and briefing images adjusted.

Note:

Just because we're all hyped this doesn't mean there will be a dozen Mi-24 slots in every mission. A few slots all it is depending on the mission's scenario. For instance, operation Hold The Line will have 4-6 slots at mission's start and if Red captures more FARP's, more slots will open. In the two examples above however, and where the TA is geographically a relatively small area there will be 2, maybe 4 slots max.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

12 hours ago, rossmum said:

RP-22 physically can't support Grom, which is part of why it was never used on the bis (the other part being that it was honestly a pretty crap weapon). In any case, the Grom kind of serves as a decoy to stop people using the ridiculously effective S-24, which is in most respects a better weapon in DCS (and honestly probably was IRL too, but in DCS it hits like the fist of an angry god). The Grom also seems a bit too potent, I know for at least a while the BF meta was to use them to oneshot command bunkers, as if they were concrete-piercing bombs. There are a whole bevy of issues ranging from CCIP existing for bombs (it shouldn't), CCIP being too accurate (it should be working off the slant range unit in much the same manner as the Viggen or Hind, not the radar or the invisible, always-on laser the module uses), to the obvious presence of weapons the aircraft shouldn't have. I'm fairly sure the RP-22 couldn't support the RS-2US either, but its presence kinda sorta simulates an MF, as the RP-21 on that variant couldn't support the R-3R so the beamers were its only option for radar missiles. I'm throwing together a spreadsheet of stuff that's either known to be wrong or needs further testing, and the 21 has a lot of problems, some of which are at least offset by the other modules sharing them. The biggest issues for air to air stuff are the lack of radar warning and that the jet seems to be too manoeuvrable at extreme low speeds, but where it's really kinda broken is air to ground.

As for the hardpoints - you're right, my brain turned "only 4 wired for used weapons" into "only 4". IMO they're functionally the same thing though for an AJ, which would be period correct.

Again, I'm totally for removal of the Ka-50 and Su-25T along with the Vikhr, and always have been. I'd actually like to see less precision weapons in general, for both sides, so the helicopter guys don't spend 90 mins slinging a unit somewhere only to have it effortlessly deleted by one guy.

Aye, good to see we are universally acknowledging issues with all modules when considering balance and mitigations for bugs (and also of course not overload Alpenwolf). As before generally speaking its felt like there has been a balance of bugs, as best of the situation as can be made, and then that the Viggen was being reprimanded for issues or complaints, beyond the raw speed issue, also present in other modules in the CW server.

On the pylon point I didn't mean to dig at you. The commentary was meant to defend your point on payloads, that the outer two pylons were pretty useless on the AJ37. But also highlight the asymmetric payload and ability to mix and match a little on the AJ37 to give some flexibility.

Edited by Sideburns

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

1 hour ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

Operation Ossetia:

Situation:

It is time to strike!

Red Objectives:

Important Notes:

Reminder:

NOTE:

Mi-8's:

Blue objectives:

Important Notes:

NOTE:

AJS37's:

Important Notes:

important notes.png

road outposts.png

pump stations 1.png

pump stations 2.png

school 1.png

school 2.png

tv tower.png

refinery 1.png

refinery 2.png

Yes @Alpenwolf  coming from IL2, this is the sort of target I've been waiting for. this is a welcome change thank you so much

• Like 1

Server News:

Operation Swedish Delivery:

- 14 x Mi-24's added -> 2 slots.

- All Ka-50's removed

* That's it for today with adding Mi-24's and removing Ka-50's.

* Swedish Delivery goes online today around 1800 zulu.

• Like 4

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The Hind is so much fun to fly 🤩
I thought the Petrovitch AI would be a little too OP at detecting targets but it seems okay. He still has freaking good eyes but the range at which he detects them is reasonable.
I can't wait to see it in the server !

edit: as a side note, the helo is pretty heavy with certain loadouts 2xrocket pods + 8 ATGMs for example gives about 40% fuel left and it's not that much if you need to travel a bit. It's possible to take more fuel and T/O with above maximum take off weight but only in a rolling take off. Hot conditions make it even worse. I think having road bases along the FARPs for Mi-24 might be an interesting possibility down the line. Or there's always the option to keep it that way as a balancing mesure if deemed necessary. 
Food for thought 

Edited by ConkersBFD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ConkersBFD said:

The Hind is so much fun to fly 🤩
I thought the Petrovitch AI would be a little too OP at detecting targets but it seems okay. He still has freaking good eyes but the range at which he detects them is reasonable.
I can't wait to see it in the server !

Yeah was using him on the 80s server yesterday. He's has it quirks finding things at times, which is good, made things difficult because of the amount of IR SAMs and the fact there seems to be a bug with flares in multiplayer. I think it will work really well (good balance) on this server

• Like 1

If playing with Petrovich in multiplayer you need to do this to get flares to work He doesn't turn them on in the cold start. Go into the ASO-2V control section, bind Left Side, Right Side, SetI/II/III, and Pilot Snars. You press your binds for the first 3 when starting to set them up, and the last one release the flare series.

Combine with this video, and your set

https://youtu.be/FrHCZ0Pxhvg

• Like 1

I remember back a year ago on the Mi-24P page, there was a guy debating who was going to really end up buying the Mi-24P when it came out. He argued that it wasn't going to be popular because it didn't have a "proper" role in the scope of DCS and would only be good as a stepping stone to develop the AH-64D.

😆

Edited by CrazyGman
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, CAPT_Kirkpatrick said:

Low priority request:

Can we get some form of unarmed but controllable vehicles on the road bases?

This is purely so as a GCI I can direct pilots towards the road base then fire off some flares/smoke to ensure we're looking at the same area

Is it just to look at the same area? What do you mean by that? I'd rather have no smoke and nothing really that could notify the enemy of the road base. So what exactly is the purpose of the smoke?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments