Brevity: TARGET vs COMMIT

Jeepyb

I am unsure of the difference between these two brevity words. I have heard them used by GCIs pretty interchangeably. Since TARGET or COMMIT doesn't tell me what to do with the group I am beeing paired with (there is usually a mission beeing issued after such as KILL, INSPECT, ID etc), I really don't understand what they mean other than a directive call from GCI to ''go after that group''.

TARGET

Assignment of targeting responsibilities.

Coordination of forces, and commander’s guidance requirements on the referenced target or track have been satisfied. Target or track correlation, collateral damage estimate (CDE), and clear field of fire must be accomplished prior to employing ordnance or fires.

COMMIT

Intercept the GROUP(S) of interest.

Set briefed intercept geometry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Callsign: BUNZ

https://www.5vwing.com/

• 1 month later...
I am unsure of the difference between these two brevity words. I have heard them used by GCIs pretty interchangeably. Since TARGET or COMMIT doesn't tell me what to do with the group I am beeing paired with (there is usually a mission beeing issued after such as KILL, INSPECT, ID etc), I really don't understand what they mean other than a directive call from GCI to ''go after that group''.

TARGET

Assignment of targeting responsibilities.

Coordination of forces, and commander’s guidance requirements on the referenced target or track have been satisfied. Target or track correlation, collateral damage estimate (CDE), and clear field of fire must be accomplished prior to employing ordnance or fires.

COMMIT

Intercept the GROUP(S) of interest.

Set briefed intercept geometry.

Actually your definitions spells out exactly the difference. The key phrase in "TARGET" says the ROE and intent have been satisfied. Therefore, Kill it.

Commit means exactly that - intercept on that group but ROE and PID likely hasn't been met yet. During the course of the intercept, you might then use on and off-board systems to PID. Or you might intercept all the way to a VID. Commit just means: "we think this group might be hostile, go intercept it and let's see what we find out". You might end up committing on an airliner and turn around and head back to the CAP.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 2 weeks later...
Actually your definitions spells out exactly the difference. The key phrase in "TARGET" says the ROE and intent have been satisfied. Therefore, Kill it.

Commit means exactly that - intercept on that group but ROE and PID likely hasn't been met yet. During the course of the intercept, you might then use on and off-board systems to PID. Or you might intercept all the way to a VID. Commit just means: "we think this group might be hostile, go intercept it and let's see what we find out". You might end up committing on an airliner and turn around and head back to the CAP.

Makes sense thanks !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commit is pre timeline and broader acceptance of the entire tactical picture, often from a point of being on station immediately at the time of the call and entering the timeline. Target is a directive to take ownership of a specific group. Targetted is a broadcast to let everyone know you have ownership of the group. In actual differences it seems a bit silly but the commit is further out and indeed implies IDcrits need to be fullfilled as said earlier. In DCS I've committed and targetted in one and where there isn't much non squadron gameplay that is related to pre commit handling, its far simpler to use target and targetted to avoid confusion.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 5 weeks later...
Commit is pre timeline and broader acceptance of the entire tactical picture, often from a point of being on station immediately at the time of the call and entering the timeline. Target is a directive to take ownership of a specific group. Targetted is a broadcast to let everyone know you have ownership of the group. In actual differences it seems a bit silly but the commit is further out and indeed implies IDcrits need to be fullfilled as said earlier. In DCS I've committed and targetted in one and where there isn't much non squadron gameplay that is related to pre commit handling, its far simpler to use target and targetted to avoid confusion.

Thanks alot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]