Both 1.5 and 2.0 versions on Steam

ET22RULZ

Hello,

I'm considering getting the Nevada Test and Training map for DCS on Steam, however I would also like to keep the Caucasus map. Is there a way to have both maps on Steam? Has anyone tried that before? If so, could you please give me an easy step by step guide on how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I did. It doesn't provide any solution for having two installs at the same time only that you need to switch between the two whenever you want to play either map. However one interesting question appeared: does switching between 1.5 and 2.0 and back to 1.5 on Steam eat up activations for the modules?

I'm really looking forward to a solution as I'd really like to try NTTR now and not wait two more weeks for 2.5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi ET22RULZ,

I suggest to read the above mentioned thread again, since it provides information to your questions.

Is there a way to have both maps on Steam?
Nirvi wrote:

No still 2 versions are required.

If you opt in to the alpha version, your 1.5 install on steam will be overwritten.

does switching between 1.5 and 2.0 and back to 1.5 on Steam eat up activations for the modules?
I wrote:

Steam keeps all your installed modules, as you had before switching. There was no question for activation or something similar - all seems to be handled internally.

I started the mission editor, put an A-10 C on the ramp at Nellis and was able to play.

While Hotdognz reported:

I had to use a activation key for all my modules as the Alpha loaded up the first time
So, the answer to that question seems not to be conclusive, but answered nevertheless.

Cheers

Hello,

I'm considering getting the Nevada Test and Training map for DCS on Steam, however I would also like to keep the Caucasus map. Is there a way to have both maps on Steam? Has anyone tried that before? If so, could you please give me an easy step by step guide on how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. Yes, you can have the current (steam) three versions installed.

If installed, all will share the same ‘user’ folder: (Users\’user’\Saved Games\DCS).

• On Steam, disable DCS World ‘auto update’ feature

• Install DCS World base version.
  • Make a copy of the folder ‘DCSWorld’ (you can call it DCSWorld.base)
  • Go to the ‘bin’ folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld.base\bin)
    Make a link on your desktop of DCS.exe (You can call it DCSWorld.base)

… the base version is installed and ready to use (DCSWorld.base)

• On Steam, chose the beta version. Let Steam erase/download
  • Make a copy of the folder ‘DCSWorld’ (you can call it DCSWorld.beta)
  • Go to the ‘bin’ folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld.beta\bin)
    Make a link on your desktop of DCS.exe (You can call it DCSWorld.beta)

… the beta version is installed and ready to use (DCSWorld.beta)

• On Steam, chose the alpha version. Let Steam erase/download
  • Make a copy of the folder ‘DCSWorld’(you can call it DCSWorld.alpha)
  • Go to the ‘bin’ folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld.alpha\bin)
    Make a link on your desktop of DCS.exe (You can call it DCSWorld.alpha)

… the alpha version is installed and ready to use (DCSWorld.alpha)

In the end you will have...

4 folders:
    The steam alpha version ‘untouched’ called DCSWorld
    The steam base version called DCSWorld.base
    The steam beta version called DCSWorld.beta
    The steam alpha version called DCSWorld.alpha

4 links on your desktop:
    The steam alpha version called DCS World
    The steam base version called DCSWorld.base
    The steam beta version called DCSWorld.beta
    The steam alpha version called DCSWorld.alpha

1 shared ‘user’ folder for all the versions:
    The folder ‘DCS’ on the saved games folder (configuration, preferences, mods, etc)

*Buy the ‘starforce free’ Nevada and Mirage prior to do the ‘dance’ (It’s possible to do it after buy/install but, is more confusing!)

*The Spitfire, also ‘starforce free’ will not be ‘flyable’ on Nevada. (I don’t know why. You better ask DCS the reason!)

*The ‘old’ modules (yes, the ones you bought in the ‘old/right’ time) (the ones that have both a starforce key and a steam key), prior to this questionable decision; if not activated already, will ask for activation!

Sorry but, only Nevada + Mirage + Spitfire + F-15 Red Flag Campaign + A-10 Red Flag Campaign + A-10 Stone Shield Campaign + A-10 TTQ Campaign + F-5 BFM Campaign + F-5 ACM Campaign + MI-8 The Border Campaign + Museum Campaign are starforce free... ready to use!

Edited by Xanix
  • Like 1