Storm of War - DCS WWII / Historical Server

philstyle

Some antics from last nights flight, myself @Teckel and his friend managed with some friendlies to get a whole bomb squadron down + a couple fighters, wish I recorded comms but hey ho had to settle with some royalty free music, my film making skills aren't good but I've done what I can!

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

Hey guys can someone give me a short intel on how much time I have to invest if I want to primary do ground pounding stuff and wich aircraft to choose? Side does not matter.

Would be nice to do something meaningfull in 30 to 45 minutes.

Edited by nazradu

On 7/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, philstyle said:

Detailed report on suitability of the Pacific (Marianas) map for Storm of War server missions is here:

https://stormofwar.info/documents/SoW-034-MarianasEvaluation_v03.pdf

Good write up. We have to have a more symetric approach to asset building in DCS else its a bluefor museum rather than a combat sim. I thought your minimum required list was generous in its omnission of carriers for both sides and amphibious beach landing abilities of units.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

10 hours ago, Pikey said:

Good write up. We have to have a more symetric approach to asset building in DCS else its a bluefor museum rather than a combat sim. I thought your minimum required list was generous in its omnission of carriers for both sides and amphibious beach landing abilities of units.

It was absolute minimum, I agree.

The list in Section 8 of the report are units in addition to those already being developed. Magnitude3 are developing an Essex-class carrier. (They could also put that unit on the Japanese roster with a rising-sun-flag and a huge red-circle on the flight deck and you have a stand-in for the Taiho, I suppose.) American landing craft are already in the WW2 assets pack, or are being developed by Mag3, and they are not needed for Japanese forces, who are on the defensive at this stage.

Also, we know the difficulty of getting any WW2 assets. While it is easy to draft up a massive list of hundreds of unit types, that section really was trying to keep it to an absolute minimum to make it tractable for any development effort, whether ED or a 3rd party. Another point for that report was that it was from an historical perspective. So, trying to get the bare minimum to create a series of historical missions.

In any case, we don't think we could make it work for Storm of War.  Hence the conclusion that we will not use Marianas on our server.  That said, it would still make a nice coop or SP map.

Regarding Asset support for Pacific/SE Asia (and sorry not to derail this thread too much) there's a bit of a gap to be filled that is difficult to do, with even imaginative minds. Assets in this region are only going to detract from the slim list available for the European theatre. I think to do anything in the Pacific for WW2 something has to change quite drastically as the current route hasn't even started.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

As a heavy IL2 player and used the way campaign servers are setup there, i have to commend the creators of the SoW.  Its scratching an itch i never knew i had!  Learning the DCS flight characteristics has been certainly a challenge, but spending time fighting off 109s from a bomber stream etc has been so good.

I have a question regarding TacView recordings.  I can only see my aircraft on playback, is there something I need to tweak in the settings to allow other server object to be visible? 

Edited by Orb

16 minutes ago, Orb said:

As a heavy IL2 player and used the way campaign servers are setup there, i have to commend the creators of the SoW.  Its scratching an itch i never knew i had!  Learning the DCS flight characteristics has been certainly a challenge, but spending time fighting off 109s from a bomber stream etc has been so good.

I have a question regarding TacView recordings.  I can only see my aircraft on playback, is there something I need to tweak in the settings to allow other server object to be visible? 

You will have to replay the track file locally to get a complete Tacview. The server has the data export of other players off for performance reasons.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

6 minutes ago, pmiceli said:

You will have to replay the track file locally to get a complete Tacview. The server has the data export of other players off for performance reasons.

I replay the one which is saved to 'documents'.  Understood regarding everyone's data, makes sense.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orb said:

I replay the one which is saved to 'documents'.  Understood regarding everyone's data, makes sense.

Cheers!

Track files are normally in your saved games path. They have a .trk file extension. If you choose replay in the menu screen it should get you to the storage location. Once there, click multiplayer folder and choose the appropriate file.

• Thanks 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Change the filename from .trk to .miz - open in mission editor - menu "customize"-"options" check the box for "external views" - save the mission (takes some time) change filename back to .trk. When youn replay the track file now you have external views.

Edited by Gadreel
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Gadreel said:

Change the filename from .trk to .miz - open in mission editor - menu "customize"-"options" check the box for "external views" - save the mission (takes some time) change filename back to .trk. When youn replay the track file now you have external views.

ok tank you the sistem work 

• Like 1

New video up from tonight's sorties.

Thanks to Phil And Dietrich for running this wonderful server, nothing else compares! :)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 OC'd 4.2Ghz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz | RTX 3070Ti Founders Edition | Oculus Quest 2

Just a quick question now that we are closing out the month featuring ground attacks, do the allies ever get the use of HVAR rockets instead of only being able to arm M8's on P47s? If i recall the first usage of HVARS historically was around the battles near St. Lo and the Normandy breakout. Still love the server and have a great time on there as always.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, Cool-Hand said:

Just a quick question now that we are closing out the month featuring ground attacks, do the allies ever get the use of HVAR rockets instead of only being able to arm M8's on P47s? If i recall the first usage of HVARS historically was around the battles near St. Lo and the Normandy breakout. Still love the server and have a great time on there as always.

From the Server FAQ...

2. HVAR rockets were first used by P47s in Europe on July 15 1944. Prior to that date only M8 tube rockets are available for the P47s. HVARs are not to be used by P51s at all.

Ref:  https://stormofwar.net/dcs/