Dynamic Medevac Script

Because the script spawns crewmembers for the other side too, there will most likely be infantry vs infantry combat when you arrive at the LZ. I found during testing that one of the most thrilling parts was having to lay down covering fire or just soaking up enemy fire for the little guy you're picking up!

We've been sending up a couple of Hueys along with the medevac for cover-fire. Adds realism to the situation. Truly superb piece of work mate :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The man who never made a mistake never made nothing!

• ED Team

we gave v2bignewy a test tonight it was working well, the well done message is staying up long still, but apart from that, its working well.

great job :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

First I am very impressed, Chapeau :thumbup:

I am using your script in one of my missions and it works good (version 1).

I want to test the other versions, but i guess i need the one where the groupname of the medevacs is requested, because i am using their unitname in some others scripts.

Just a question.

If no player is in the Medevac unit and a ground Vehicle gets destroyed and the wounded jump out, this event is lost.

Is it possible to reactivate this lost event? Maybe via radio command or something else.

Scenario. On the Server, while the Mission is running, a new Player joins, picks the Medevac and can request which tasks are available or gets the order directly via script/trigger.

greetings MiK

About group names/unit names: There should be a line in the beginning of the script that has the name of the units that will act as Medevacs (default "MEDEVAC #1" and "MEDEVAC #2"). Change these (within the quotes) to whatever the Huey's in your mission is called (normally something like "Pilot #1").

About the lost tasks: Good idea! I guess we could think of it in the concept of a "Medevac Central" that handles requests for medevac and from which the player can get taskings.

Keep the ideas coming! Its a busy time at the university right now and I plan to get back to this the weekend after this. It would be great if we put our heads together and came up with a clear direction for the script. Some other ideas:

- [MA] Agaton suggested more crewmembers for APCs as these would be carrying troops. I had another idea about that that I have been baking for a while: What about a seperate script that spawns infantry that follows the APC around, triggered by the APC firing its weapon or being damaged (as opposed to being destroyed). It would mean there would be lots of infantry in DCS all of a sudden. Good/bad?

- Radio/voice acting? I believe this would require the mission-designer to insert sound files into the mission manually (the .miz is just a .zip-file). How would this work practically from the players point of view and in a busy multiplayer environment? Would the player communicate with a central unit or talk to the survivors directly? How should info be relayed to the pilot so as not to saturate the message are (top right) or radio (top left for those that has radio subtitles on). I think it would also be cool with different types of voice acting depending of the level of panic of the unit... Radio homing?

- SAR? Anyone know the model name of the pilot?

Other ideas?

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I played this in SP a bit and had great fun ! Thank you !

I don't know/didn't notice if the weight of the casualties is modeled when you take them aboard ? If so, it would be cool if your crew chief would tell you "we're full" or "we can take two more" or something like that., or at least some message that tells you how many casualties you have on board.

Second thing is, I found it kind of hard to keep track of the requests when there's more than one at a time, maybe the call could be repeated after some time, like "We really need a medevac here , what are they taking so long ?!"...

Or a radio function where you can ask "dispatch" to repeat tasks that are still active ? Maybe (just wild ideas ) combined with a function to go "inactive" as medevac to get repairs etc, then you get no more tasks until you call in again, a little like with jtac...

Having absolutely no clue about mission making/scripting etc, I suppose it's not possible to have a list of still active calls on the pilot's kneeboard ?

• ED Team

I was wondering RagnarDa is it possible to have more than one BlueMASH vehicle?

For example if there was more than one MASH for different regions on the map ?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@WolfK33

About changing the weight of the helicopter: It's not modeled atm but I think it should be at some point. From what I understand though, this can't be done with a script-only solution. In my opinion having a solution with lots of flags needing to be created by the mission-designer, only to having it become redundant if there's a new patch of DCS:World where this functionality is possible through the script engine, makes me put that on the lower end of the list of things to do. It's a good idea though.

About only allowing a certain number of people on to the helicopter: Yes that would be good, and that is something I probably will look into at some point.

About tasking/"dispatch": This is something we need to figure out. It would be interesting to know how this works IRL. There was a video posted earlier in this thread but I haven't had time to look at it. I'm guessing that troops with wounded personnel would communicate this to their respective HQ, who would relay this to a "dispatch"/"medevac central"/MASH who would in turn relay this to the pilot, and when the helicopter gets near he would get "terminal guidance" by communicating directly with the troops (through VHF? UHF?). I really don't know. Another part to research is terminology, for example is it really called a MASH? I came across different names, like trauma center or field hospital... "Medevac" vs "Casevac"?

I had another idea that needs researching: How about a mod that creates a new radio-submenu for medevac, like the JTAC mod for Ka-50? Possible? Turbohog?

@BIGNEWY

Not possible right now, but it should be. Will look into it the weekend after this.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

You cant respawn unless you have been rescued.

I started thinking about this, and one solution for this would be to have player slots blocked by having them instantly destroyed once they spawn in.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

• ED Team

I don't think having a player who has ejected wait for a rescue before he can continue flying appealing, the alternative is having the ejected pilot's avatar rescued, without limiting the real players ability to continue flying.

Thanks for the reply ragnarda, I did not think it was possible. I am writing a mission at the moment to complement your excellent script, once that is finished I will send you a copy.

I don't think having a player who has ejected wait for a rescue before he can continue flying appealing, the alternative is having the ejected pilot's avatar rescued, without limiting the real players ability to continue flying.

Thanks for the reply ragnarda, I did not think it was possible. I am writing a mission at the moment to complement your excellent script, once that is finished I will send you a copy.

One of the reasons why I brought that up is Ive seen people flying in servers doing air to air combat. They run out of missiles and instead of flying back to base to re-arm they just eject and grab another jet. Can create alot of imbalance in the mission and highly unappealing from an ambience perspective. Makes the aircraft a much more valuable commodity in the mission as in real life.

• Like 1

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

• ED Team
One of the reasons why I brought that up is Ive seen people flying in servers doing air to air combat. They run out of missiles and instead of flying back to base to re-arm they just eject and grab another jet. Can create alot of imbalance in the mission and highly unappealing from an ambience perspective. Makes the aircraft a much more valuable commodity in the mission as in real life.

Very true, I only fly on well managed servers, so its not an issue for me, but I see your point.

hreich reported a persistent crash to desktop in the demo-mission after 10 minutes. Anyone else experience this?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

I'm trying to drop your script into a mission and get it to work. So far no luck. I've designated Medevac units and MASH units but no joy. Is dropping this into a mission even possible or do I have to build upon the mission you made?

BTW, great mission, love it.

Paco

Got the mission to sorta work. First of all I had to read the directions. It's unit names not groups.

But now I don't receive any messages. I get the green smoke but nothing else. Any hints? Thanks in advance.

Paco

But now I don't receive any messages. I get the green smoke but nothing else. Any hints? Thanks in advance.

There are two systems to show messages to the player in the script. First, there are a simple single line-style that shows only one message at a time. You can see this in the video in the first post. In v2 of the script I added MiSTs messaging system to be able to show multiple messages (stacked) at the same time. However, for very unclear reasons the MiST-messaging stops working a few seconds into some missions. You should therefore revert to the old single-line messaging by changing this line:

[i][u]medevac.textdisplaymode[/u][/i] = 0

into

[i][u]medevac.textdisplaymode[/u][/i] = 1

in the script. Hope it helps.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

• ED Team
hreich reported a persistent crash to desktop in the demo-mission after 10 minutes. Anyone else experience this?

Not seen a crash at all with the script, just the messages hang sometimes.

Great work on this, I plan to incorporate it into a few missions. Great to see people who know lua writing and sharing scripts for those of us who have good mission ideas, but no lua knowledge

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

We tested this script in a 4h+ mission,it worked great!

I have only 2 questions. Would it be possible to:

Start the timer as soon as a vehicle is destroyed, instead of starting the timer when you picked up the wounded.

Make categories for the severity of the wounds (for example: T3 - minimal treatment status when bleedtimer starts with 1000+ seconds

T2 - delayed treatment status when timer starts with 600-1000 seconds

T1 - immediate treatment status when timer starts runder 600 seconds

We tested this script in a 4h+ mission,it worked great!

I have only 2 questions. Would it be possible to:

Start the timer as soon as a vehicle is destroyed, instead of starting the timer when you picked up the wounded.

Make categories for the severity of the wounds (for example: T3 - minimal treatment status when bleedtimer starts with 1000+ seconds

T2 - delayed treatment status when timer starts with 600-1000 seconds

T1 - immediate treatment status when timer starts runder 600 seconds

I am very glad to hear its working well! :thumbup:

Thanks for your suggestions. They are now on my to-do-list.

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

I plan to get back to this the weekend after this.

Well, I got sidetrack by Kerbal Space Program this weekend but now I have a update for you! First post in this thread has been updated. As you'll see I tried to implement the things that you the community has suggested (including Search And Rescue!). Version 3 has not been tested in multiplayer but I thought I better get it out there as soon as possible.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

• ED Team

Thanks Ragnarda for v3 great work.

My Sim pc has been out of action (problems with motherboard) as soon as my mission is completed and tested by Shrek Squadron I will send you a copy.

I have meshed this script with a mission I have been working on, one thing that I have found is the Huey must be ALIVE on mission start for it to work properly. I have 8 Hueys in the mission set as clients, and if all are not occupied, the F10 SAR message will not be displayed to any of those who were not occupying a Huey at mission start.

You will see all the request for evac, but are unable to pick up the wounded.

Am I correct on this? Even though the F10 function doesn't work, will they still be able to perform Medevac?

I found the work around was to add a trigger and load the script on "unit alive" but this has to be done for each unit. Now when I switch between Hueys after the mission start I will get the F10 function.

Is there a better way to get the late joiners "active"?

I also have to admit I like the fact you can pick up pilots who have ejected! Great stuff!!!

Edited by shelt

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Gotta add that I love your scripting skills!

I've hacked around with it to customize some of Version 2's options, and merged it into a mission with Deck's Huey drop script and we had a ball this weekend with some A-10 and Combined arms players and it fits into almost any scenario.

Excellent job, looking forward to testing out version 3!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]