Problem during landing

jfri

Are you flying with manual prop pitch and going above 3000rpm / using boost without activating MW50?

When does your engine die? What are you doing before the engine dies?

A little more information would be helpful.

Don't know about manual prop or using boost.

Usually I think I decrease power before the engine dies.

I follow the instructions in the interactive landing tutorial

I don't see why this happens.

Neither do we, because with everything set up correctly, it shouldn't.

Once again, a saved track would help us investigate any issue you have. Although saving them is not possible after exiting the missions played straight from Training Missions menu, you can cheat the game a little: locate the landing mission file in the 109 mod folder (it's called "Bf109 Training 3 - Landing.miz") and launch it using mission editor, as if it was any ordinary mission. That way you will be able to save a track afterwards and post it here.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Neither do we, because with everything set up correctly, it shouldn't.

Once again, a saved track would help us investigate any issue you have. Although saving them is not possible after exiting the missions played straight from Training Missions menu, you can cheat the game a little: locate the landing mission file in the 109 mod folder (it's called "Bf109 Training 3 - Landing.miz") and launch it using mission editor, as if it was any ordinary mission. That way you will be able to save a track afterwards and post it here.

I made a saved track but I can't upload it since it size exceeds the max allowable even if I zip it.

I can say that I do have the propeller governor set to automatic and rpm never exceed 3000 rpm.

I also tried the instant action landing and then the engine didn't stop

I can say that I do have the propeller governor set to automatic and rpm never exceed 3000 rpm.

Good, at least we've got this sorted. Maybe some duplicated control assignment (easy thing to miss after purchasing and setting up a new module) disables some important system upon the mission start? But then, instant landing mission would probably be affected as well.

If I manage to get some free time today, I'll try to fly this tutorial mission and see how it runs on my PC.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I just tried the tutorial mission and I had no problems at all.

Have you checked your control bindings to see if you have any double bindings which might cause trouble?

I have tried the tutorial twice again and in both cases encountered the same problem. I couldn't see any double binding. And had that been the case should ii only be in the landing tutorial I had the problem ?

Also I notice when the engine goes out and I increase the throttle I see the ATA dial goes up. In addition looking at the instrument and cockpit settings before and after I notice no change. No lever or button seem to have changed.

I uploaded my track to onedrive and shared it. See if you can access it

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao8G1zqCjqI5jCsvuAv6cCqFYpc5?e=Ram9cM

Do you use a hotas?

Have you set the throttle cut off to a switch which is unintentionally activated?

Or a switch for the magnetos to off position?

Fox

Yes I have TM Hotas warthog. I didn't touch any buttons except pitch trim during flight. But I will check to see if there are any throttle cut off assigned

EDIT

No have not assigned any button to throttle cut off

Edited by jfri

Okay, I checked your Track.

It is not you fault.

(I would recomment to not let the engine run at that low power setting for such a "long time", 5 Minutes+)

Short version:

Below the tail wheel lock lever is a switch. Flip it to "MW Stoff".

Engine won´t die anymore.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220710&stc=1&d=1573117980

Long version:

At first I thought it was spark plug fouling. So I took over the aircraft before the engine died. Throttle to Combat power, but still the engine died.

So I restarted the replay, took over control immediately, went to combat power, but still - the engine died.

I noticed that the engine was rough when applying emergency power and the MW50 indicator didn´t show any boot increase. So no MW50 for the engine despite the MW50 Switch in the on position(at mission start already). So I checked the "MW Stoff - Kraftstoff" switch and it was at "Kraftstoff" position. These switch positions are dangerous, especially in a training situation. Typically new K4-Pilots fly this mission.

So I checked the mission itself and the additional tank was set to MW50.

This means that the engine is running on MW50 till it is dies.

If you flip this switch a moment before the engine dies, it won´t die and you can use the extra power; so the MW50 tank is not empty.

Fox

K4_MW50.thumb.jpg.53ef2f6d73b4c5172e22899a0679cdc1.jpg

Edited by iFoxRomeo
Image added
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Okay, I checked your Track.

It is not you fault.

(I would recomment to not let the engine run at that low power setting for such a "long time", 5 Minutes+)

Short version:

Below the tail wheel lock lever is a switch. Flip it to "MW Stoff".

Engine won´t die anymore.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220710&stc=1&d=1573117980

Long version:

At first I thought it was spark plug fouling. So I took over the aircraft before the engine died. Throttle to Combat power, but still the engine died.

So I restarted the replay, took over control immediately, went to combat power, but still - the engine died.

I noticed that the engine was rough when applying emergency power and the MW50 indicator didn´t show any boot increase. So no MW50 for the engine despite the MW50 Switch in the on position(at mission start already). So I checked the "MW Stoff - Kraftstoff" switch and it was at "Kraftstoff" position. These switch positions are dangerous, especially in a training situation. Typically new K4-Pilots fly this mission.

So I checked the mission itself and the additional tank was set to MW50.

This means that the engine is running on MW50 till it is dies.

If you flip this switch a moment before the engine dies, it won´t die and you can use the extra power; so the MW50 tank is not empty.

Fox

Thank you for the help. I will try again later. Regarding flipping switch moment before engine dies. The problem is I don't know when that moment occur. Can I not flip it right away at start of tutorial ?

Thank you for the help. I will try again later. Regarding flipping switch moment before engine dies. The problem is I don't know when that moment occur. Can I not flip it right away at start of tutorial ?

You´re welcome.

In the configuration of the aircraft for this mission (MW50 in the additional tank), this switch has to be flipped to MW Stoff before engine start.

So yes, flip it to MW Stoff as soon as you take controls. Don´t wait.

Fox

Spoiler

Allright, but this still doesn't answer the question why the switch was in "fuel" position in the first place, because I've just checked the mission and sure enough, switch is in "MW" position, as it should be by default for all DCS players and why noone else has ever reported the same issue.

@Jfri - It clearly still is the individual problem of your hardware/game setup and the only reason why you didn't notice it in instant landing mission is because it's very short with plane already lined up for landing, while fuel contamination with water leading to engine failure takes some time. Landing tutorial mission is just long enough for it to happen.

Re-check your control assignments again. Commands for selector are named "MW/Fuel selector switch [...]". Do you use TARGET or any external software which could mess up your controls beyond DCS in-game settings?

Allright, but this still doesn't answer the question why the switch was in "fuel" position in the first place, because I've just checked the mission and sure enough, switch is in "MW" position, as it should be by default for all DCS players and why noone else has ever reported the same issue.

@Jfri - It clearly still is the individual problem of your hardware/game setup and the only reason why you didn't notice it in instant landing mission is because it's very short with plane already lined up for landing, while fuel contamination with water leading to engine failure takes some time. Landing tutorial mission is just long enough for it to happen.

Re-check your control assignments again. Commands for selector are named "MW/Fuel selector switch [...]". Do you use TARGET or any external software which could mess up your controls beyond DCS in-game settings?

You are right. Unfortunately I can´t change the view of his track before it starts. But I checked my mission and it was set to MW.

jfri, as Art-J suggested, check the following bindings to your hotas. It is actually not really necessary to have it on any button, as it is only set once, if at all, during a flight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=220721&stc=1&d=1573146031

Fox

mwfuel.thumb.jpg.a11cf0d272efd072d73aa80d32e3aa70.jpg

Spoiler

When I tried the landing tutorial again that switch was indeed at MW position at start. Don't ask me why it was not so earlier. And now I have switch assigned to it if it is needed.