Intel kernel memory vulnerability and DCS performance?

Gearbox

I work in IT, and the news on this is freaking everyone out because of the performance implications:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

tl,dr: patching a bug in the way virtual memory is handled is expected to cause 5% to 30% hits to performance on some things.

Anyone have any thoughts? I JUST bought the bits to build a new i7-8700K system. I had considered a Ryzen (which turns out isn't affected) but I heard that they aren't as good for DCS. Everything is unopened though so I could send back the CPU and mobo if necessary.

Much is unknown at this time... in fact most of it is under NDA for a few more days. All the benchmarks I have seen are in Linux which if I am correct uses Vulkan API which doesn't make near as many calls to the CPU as Direct X (I might be wrong here with it using Vulkan). So even those may not reflect the performance in windows. I am curious if DCS causes more CPU calls than other games out there?

Should be an interesting next few weeks.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I work in IT, and the news on this is freaking everyone out because of the performance implications:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

tl,dr: patching a bug in the way virtual memory is handled is expected to cause 5% to 30% hits to performance on some things.

Anyone have any thoughts? I JUST bought the bits to build a new i7-8700K system. I had considered a Ryzen (which turns out isn't affected) but I heard that they aren't as good for DCS. Everything is unopened though so I could send back the CPU and mobo if necessary.

I have an 8700K based system and I am worried (until the patches come out next week - we really wont know how much of it hit we will take)

But from the linux benchmarks (patch already out) it could be a bad hit

If I were you I would wait and see (usually you have 14 days to decide if you want to return something un-used - in UK anyway)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests