DCS F-117 NOW IS THE TIME?!

Murey2

DCS F-117 NOW IS THE TIME?!  

97 members have voted

1. 1. DCS F-117 NOW IS THE TIME?!

• Yes!
    • No!

Hey ED,

How about a F-117 test pilots whom welling to work with you to produce a F-117 for DCS? I think now is a great time to have study level F-117 that a lot of people are asking for, and which will add a whole new level to DCS.

F-117 Test Pilot Lt. Ron Evenson "Ronbo"

Edit: Presuming DCS will have way better RADAR and Sensors in general e.g. Ray Tracing RADAR or better...

Edited by Murey2
  • Like 1

The F-117 is such a dull aircraft to fly, crusing at altitude to the target, hit pickle and then RTB and doing all of this on autopilot. Can't think of much that would be even more boring.

(Unless you get a tanker crew strip show and then go on to blast yourself upside down)

So no, I absolutly hope that ED (or any of the 3rd parties) will not waste their ressources on the F-117.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Would I like an F-117? Probably, it isn't the most interesting aircraft in the world IMO, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

There are a lot more aircraft that I personally would be more interested in, but I'm not going to shoot it down.

The F-117 is such a dull aircraft to fly, crusing at altitude to the target, hit pickle and then RTB and doing all of this on autopilot. Can't think of much that would be even more boring.

So like an anti-ship mission in the Hornet ;)

Or any mission using JDAMs/JSOWs?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I can. The B-52. Same situation, but longer and more drawn out (and needing a bigger map) .May as well be flying xplane, yet somehow people clamor for it..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

There are a lot more aircraft that I personally would be more interested in, but I'm not going to shoot it down.

That's fine, cuz this guy already did for you:

Zolt%C3%A1n_Dani.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown#Downing

Edited by ngreenaway

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Sneak in to target, deploy payload, run back without being detected? Sounds good to me. Not sure if the stealth aspect is modeled properly in DCS, though.

It's barely there! That's why if that machine get implemented we need better sensors SIMULATION e.g. Ray Tracying RADAR that is based on how real sensors work...etc.

I'm actually convinced that FlyingIron might make a DCS F-117. They're currently making an F-117 for X-Plane 11, and recently released images of their WIP A-7 for DCS.

Plus, F-117 pilots were dual-qualified on A-7's as their cover story while the F-117 was still entirely classified. So it just might be the case that DCS pilots will be able to do the same...

YES SIR!!! I would buy this plane without any question

F-14 | F-15 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AV-8B | A-10 |

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RYZEN 5 1400 | GTX 1050 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 1TB HDD| Track IR | TM T16000M FCS HOTAS | TM TFRP Rudder :pilotfly:

I'm actually convinced that FlyingIron might make a DCS F-117. They're currently making an F-117 for X-Plane 11, and recently released images of their WIP A-7 for DCS.

Plus, F-117 pilots were dual-qualified on A-7's as their cover story while the F-117 was still entirely classified. So it just might be the case that DCS pilots will be able to do the same...

Sorry to be a bummer but they have said they doubt they could get the information to make it at DCS level again. And with them being spotted flying again recently I doubt much is getting declassified. They did say they''d consider it if they could get the info though.

It's not an aircraft I'm interested in though. I understand why some want it. I want some boring planes like a C-2 greyhound. But the 117 doesn't excite me.

Here is my "problem" again... whenever I'm asked "Do you want to fly a DCS <whatever>?"

I always have to vote for YES.

Is a F-117 among the top 5 of my wishlist? No.

Would I buy a F-117? Probably.

With respect to the question of this poll here is my YES.

This. "Would you like X in DCS" is just asking "Would you like more content?"

Yeah, the answer is obvious. More content is good.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

(Unless you get a tanker crew strip show and then go on to blast yourself upside down)

So no, I absolutly hope that ED (or any of the 3rd parties) will not waste their ressources on the F-117.

That is true. But F-117 was as well used for low level penetrations, but that would still be the same thing; fly in, drop two bombs, fly out.

So if someone really loves the idea to fly at high altitude dropping few bombs like there would be no SAM/AAA threats at all, that is it then for them....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Sorry to be a bummer but they have said they doubt they could get the information to make it at DCS level again. And with them being spotted flying again recently I doubt much is getting declassified. They did say they''d consider it if they could get the info though. [snip]
AFAIK, there's not too much on the F-117 that's actually classified, outside of the stealth stuff and likely its sensor suite.

Dont' forget it is basically a cobbled together bucket of known parts taken from other airframes in US inventory at the time under a fancy wedge shaped skin.

Obviously flight characteristics would be difficult, even with the engines and shape being well documented (so could CFD some of it), as that'll be under wraps and it'll probably be quite hard finding an ex pilot, or even just SME's for that matter.

That all said, I'd fly it once or twice for fun because it's an _interesting_ airplane, but then I'd likely hardly ever use it.

It is boring if you're flying it properly according to pilot reports, literally just flying waypoints until you reach bomb deploy and drop the 2(!) bombs it carries. Then fly home.

And considering a full DCS level aircraft takes at least 18 months, more like 2-3 years of development, I can think of many more airplanes I'd rather see made first.

Edited by Buzzles
spacing

I've got my hands full just learning to fly the Hornet and employ it's weapons PLUS trying to get back aboard the boat. I wouldn't argue against ED or anyone else bringing it to the DCS World but I have no interest in it. Having said that, I would be highly suspect of the flight model for this plane as I am pretty sure that it is still fairly highly classified. This is not to say that I would be too concerned about the accuracy of it one way or the other, just that a plane like the P-47, a plane that not many in this community are able to comment on it's FM accuracy, has been delayed for so long for lack of accurate data, it would be a laugh to see the Wobbly Goblin show up as a full on DCS module. Needless to say, I voted no. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Other than something diff to fly because we like the aircraft itself (look/sound/etc) rather than actual application (kinda like the F-104 IMHO), i don't see the attraction. The F-117 flew mostly at night from what I understand...and had a really small radar signature. Now try and model that in DCS where most servers empty when night falls AND the AI can still find you anyway due to their magic radars. You'd just be a sitting duck.

No, give me something better like the F-111 or A6 or hell even an F-105 (that flew daylight missions into North Vietnam braving Migs, SAMs and AAA) any day.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Why do people say F-117 requires new radar simulation. There’s a F-117 in game with low RCS, the game varies RCS based on angle to radar, sure it would be nice to have a variable RCS that increases and decreases as configuration and stores change(every plane should have its missiles that already have RCS have their RCS added to the plane), but that can’t be that hard. But what do I know I don’t code. Guess I’m just saying I could see it existing in the current DCS environment. Especially with what was on the Fighter Pilot Podcast about shooting Soviet AWACS.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I can. The B-52. Same situation, but longer and more drawn out (and needing a bigger map) .May as well be flying xplane, yet somehow people clamor for it..

What? You mean people have different opinions? Don't be absurd.

Why do people say F-117 requires new radar simulation. There’s a F-117 in game with low RCS, the game varies RCS based on angle to radar.

Does it? I always thought it was a sphere with a mean averaged approximation...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

While the F-117 is an interesting aircraft it would not really bring a distinct capability than what other aircraft can also accomplish in how DCS is currently set up. I would rather see other aircraft that would bring new and different capabilities to DCS like the S-3 Viking, C2 Grayhound or F-111.

seems like a predictbaly lukewarm reception for the -117. i dont see the appeal, but to each their own. I doubt we'll see it, but you never know- theres been plenty of naysauing about the typhoon, yet here we are with the typhoon announced today. Flyingiron could come up with something reasonbly close enough for ED to give the green light.

Do i care if it comes? No.

Will i buy it if it does? Id like to say no, but considering ive bought all the other modules, even stuff that doesnt interest me- in all likelihood, id buy it

System: