Turn off city lights?

504smudge

Hey everyone, apologies if this has been asked, I've searched the forum and can't find anything.

I was wondering if it's possible to turn off the cities lights at night. This after all is a combat flight simulator, and usually in times of war, or when bombs start dropping city lights usually go out, weather this is due to a power plant being struck (usually day 1 target) or by choice to make bombing difficult.

I've searched but can't see a way to make the map blackout at night. does anyone know if this is possible? or if there are plans to make it possible? maybe by using a triggger or in map event?

• Like 1

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge

Not possible AFAIK, but a great idea :thumbup:.

Seems, strange...

I guess the light sources themselves but I would've imagined that things like buildings and illuminated areas are just textures... Mind you 2.5.6 has almost certainly changed that around (I'm a stable scrub so I don't have it).

But +1, it especially makes sense for the upcoming Channel Map, but ideally would be something that can be controlled in the mission editor.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On world war 2 scenarios - it may be a good idea, navigation that time was mostly visual so turning off lights was critical tactic to protect lives and/or production from bombs.

This days fella with NVG will have better vision on town streets without light and having modern, accurate satnav gives no need to see ground what so ever.

Only towns with direct combat in them shall be affected, and not even whole towns, only districts.

Idea with power plants is awesome! But without a dissent ground force modulation, makes it more artistic than actually needed.

In my opinion - it looks much better with lights, will be cool to see less lights in buildings 1am to 5am, coz most of the people sleeping that time, but still look great in VR.

Waaah! I thought about exactly that yesterday.

If the Super AI RTS Dynamic Campaign will have some kind of infrastructure layer to it as well, not just cargo transportation and management.

But not that much infrastructure, just electricity, radio towers, "repair shops" (sounds too gamerish but I don't know what level of depth they're aiming so I don't want to set expectations too high with only speculation), stuff like that ... the most obvious thing are the trains, to use the train system as an alternate and sneak way to transport cargo and possibly even ground troops.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

need to add in power stations to destroy. that would be cool

ABSOLUTELY!

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The feature has to be built into the API in the first place.

I don't know why why the API demands all over the place. Is there an explanation thread?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 month later...

Just found out experimenting with the search light that you can now with the latest open beta (DCS World open beta 2.5.6.47224 ) turn off

the city light if you set the date between 1939 and 1945 (ww2 blackout?)

tested in Caucasus Nevada and Persian Gulf.

The airport light stay on though!

Not sure when that was introduced,but cool new feature!

attachment.php?attachmentid=232947&stc=1&d=1587218842attachment.php?attachmentid=232946&stc=1&d=1587218802

1873099179_21april1945.thumb.jpg.998ae9b260218b40d792af1b25bdc060.jpg

1650048515_21nov1945.thumb.jpg.6f5e325181439720bbebed5a9bb3f676.jpg