Flat spin and heading out to sea.

DmitriKozlowsky

I just had to force myself to seat through Top Gun (1986). So cheezy. I am curious.

With Mav's F-14 in flat spin with one engine out, he was said to be "Heading out to sea". So logically , where were they training, suspending disbelief, over land, where in a flat spin would take F-14 from Angels 20. Isn't a flat spin essentially more or less straight down trajectory, as both wings have stalled, but one is more stalled then other. The film showed fight over what looks like El Centro or China Lake.

Flight originated from Miramar NAS, and fight occurred over ???? Camp Pendleton? Carrizo range?

Taking advantage of free Holiday trial of this mod. At 25K, from straight level, I induced a nasty tumbling spin from straight and level at 350 KIAS. Stick full forward, no aileron deflection (no roll via stick), and full rudder to port or stbd. Once in spin I attempted to recover with rudder full in opposite direction of spin, stick full FWD, zero roll deflection. I did not recover. The mission was Instant Action/Caucus/ Free Flight

In one episode of the fighter Pilot podcast, they talk about that one with a Supervisor who participated in filming Top Gun. According to him, they had already filmed the dogfighting scenes above the desert - and then those where dead Goose is in the water. He was telling the director that this didnt make any sense - and so they added the line "Maverick is heading out to the sea". :D

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Indeed, it's just a movie which was quite big mess after they started to edit it. Lots of footage and not much sense so they had enormous task to try compiling it to something that made some sense. There were footage shot with actors in the back flying real but either they were womiting or lighting etc was just bad so they did them in mockup cockpits on studio. Just like those aerial shots show planes so close together, since in reality the required safety bubble would just show small dark object on lenses so that would not be so cool either.

No idea why they deciced to film Goose dying over water instead of dry but I guess they wanted to it to happen since they are navy pilots and all and the rest is just movie edit magic.

Edited by Blinde

I always found it interesting that they all came together at Top gun from

Different squadrons yet when the crisis hits they not only all end up on Mavericks carrier but Ice is first off the boat. Apparently nobody but Maverick and Cougar could fly???

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Indeed, it's just a movie which was quite big mess after they started to edit it. Lots of footage and not much sense so they had enormous task to try compiling it to something that made some sense. There were footage shot with actors in the back flying real but either they were womiting or lighting etc was just bad so they did them in mockup cockpits on studio. Just like those aerial shots show planes so close together, since in reality the required safety bubble would just show small dark object on lenses so that would not be so cool either.

No idea why they deciced to film Goose dying over water instead of dry but I guess they wanted to it to happen since they are navy pilots and all and the rest is just movie edit magic.

What are the real world chances of colliding with previously shed canopy? Sounds like it would one of those 'tested to n-degree' safety features. I am curious that once initiated, which seat fires first. I figure it would be RIO, but I do not know for a fact. I figure real world chances of that happening is equivalent of skydiving or military HALO jumps, main canopy fail, followed by failed cutaway, followed by reserve canopy tangle with incomplete deployment. Possible but highly unlikely.

What are the real world chances of colliding with previously shed canopy? Sounds like it would one of those 'tested to n-degree' safety features. I am curious that once initiated, which seat fires first. I figure it would be RIO, but I do not know for a fact. I figure real world chances of that happening is equivalent of skydiving or military HALO jumps, main canopy fail, followed by failed cutaway, followed by reserve canopy tangle with incomplete deployment. Possible but highly unlikely.

Very high. The NATOPS upright spin procedure specifically includes a separate canopy jettison to allow time for the canopy to clear the ejection seat trajectory. There is a low pressure void above the aircraft and little to no horizontal airflow to help the canopy clear.

Killed a RIO in my last squadron. The canopy hit the RIO’s seat, and for whatever reason, he wasn’t able to employ the manual bailout procedure. He rode the aircraft all the way to the deck. Pilot ejected normally, and they did jettison the canopy separately.

TOPGUN the movie was generally cringeworthy

• Thanks 1

Viewpoints are my own.

That is not the answer I wanted to hear.

BTW, I won;t ask if you are or were a fighter pilot. I saw 'Flight Of The Intruder", twice! I learned that if a man is a fighter pilot, he'll let you know.

Back when I was 2Lt. fresh out of ROTC, that was 25+ years ago. I did my abn. school with rest of the Reservists. Our C-130 were these rickety old ladies, with bu numbers in 1960's from Alabama ANG. I don't recall any Naval Reserve aviator students there. Army is solely responsible for all static line training and quals. Does Naval Aviation sends students to get basic military parachuting to Benning, or is there another Nav Air specific course. Just about every AFRES and ANG flight crew sports basic jump wings, gotten at Benning, and some Marines. But I do not recall Naval Aviators sporting Army Jump Wings.

That is not the answer I wanted to hear.

BTW, I won;t ask if you are or were a fighter pilot. I saw 'Flight Of The Intruder", twice! I learned that if a man is a fighter pilot, he'll let you know.

Back when I was 2Lt. fresh out of ROTC, that was 25+ years ago. I did my abn. school with rest of the Reservists. Our C-130 were these rickety old ladies, with bu numbers in 1960's from Alabama ANG. I don't recall any Naval Reserve aviator students there. Army is solely responsible for all static line training and quals. Does Naval Aviation sends students to get basic military parachuting to Benning, or is there another Nav Air specific course. Just about every AFRES and ANG flight crew sports basic jump wings, gotten at Benning, and some Marines. But I do not recall Naval Aviators sporting Army Jump Wings.

You just pull the little handle...

Viewpoints are my own.

The handle is pulled for you, sir. That is basis for static line jump. You only pull reserve lolipop if you don't feel main canopy deployment after quick thousand-one-two-three-four. Assuming 1800 foot exit with 120-130 knot air speed.

But I am curious if basic military parachuting is requirement for Naval Aviation aviator and NFO students.