Please take some time to fix long-standing A/A radar bugs (A/A radar recap post)

Santi871

Hi, I'm making this post as a request for ED to keep working on the Hornet radar after TWS is added. Sadly, there are a lot of bugs and missing things that have been unaddressed for a long time, some even since launch. It would be nice if these bugs and missing features were addressed to bring the A/A radar closer to completion.

So here's a recap list of the things that still need to be worked on with associated bug report threads:

Bugs:

2. General - 1 bar scan shows incorrect TDC top/bottom altitudes of scan , by Captain Slow, 10 months ago

3. General - Radar does not range gate when attempting to STT by myself, 4 months ago

4. General - Radar emits with Weight On Wheels by myself, 4 months ago

5. General - PRF and RESET options not TDC-selectable by Jak525, 5 months ago

6. General - The top of the radar ("dugout") is included as part of the radar display (only Angle Only Tracks should appear there). by Jak525, 6 months ago

7. PRF- Interleaved HI/MED PRF does not alternate correctly between frames by LazyBoot, 4 months ago

8. PRF- PRF cannot be properly selected with AIM-7 selected by backspace340, 1 year 2 months ago

9. RWS - RWS brick logic incorrect (affects Viper too) by Beamscanner, 2 months ago

10. LTWS - LTWS is able to guide missiles by Papa Saubär, ~1 month ago

11. LTWS- FIXED - LTWS target under cursor and L&S/DT2 do not display bottom half of HAFU (the donor portion) by theinmigrant, 5 months ago

12. MSI - MSI targets displayed with PPI projection instead of B-scope by myself, 2 weeks ago

13. MSI - MSI donor-only target under cursor not displaying mach/altitude by theinmigrant, 4 months ago

14. MSI - Inconsistent behavior when attempting to STT an MSI donor-only target by myself, 4 months ago

15. ACM - ACM GACQ return to search logic incorrect by Jak525, 5 months ago

16. ACM - Radar directed gun pipper is twitchy/jumps/vibrates by Kim Jong-un, 8 months ago

17. ACM - ACM modes can be uncentered if antenna elevation was uncentered (affects Viper too), by M0ltar, 3 months ago

18. AACQ - AACQ logic is placeholder/incorrect/incomplete. by Rex854Warrior, 1 year 4 months ago - see below for full logic

19. STT - RTS button missing if STT entered from RWS by Jak525, 1 day ago

20. STT - Radar elevation gets stuck if changing settings while in STT by Captain Slow, 10 months ago

Bugs missing formal report:

1. LTWS/TWS tracks should be aged/dropped based on frame history, ignoring the ageout-seconds setting found in DATA page
  2. LTWS/TWS tracks should need at least 2 successive hits on a target to be formed. Brick under cursor should only display altitude if the radar has only hit that target once
  3. Radar contribution circle symbology missing from HAFUs
  4. RWR strobes on the radar display should appear below the dugout, rather than below the very top and overlapping the dugout
  5. HUD TD box should be blanked when the radar directed gunsight overlaps it to declutter the target

Missing features:

1. RWS/VS - scan centering
  2. RWS - 1 LOOK RAID
  3. RWS - Spotlight search
  4. RWS/LTWS - Point Acquisition cue (small cross positioned over the #1 priority HAFU that indicates where the L&S will be created upon depressing Undesignate and where AACQ will acquire if actuated)
  5. ACM - Uncaged WACQ mode
  6. HOTAS shortcuts:
    • SCS Right in A/A mastermode brings up Attk Radar page on RDDI
    • SCS Left in A/A mastermode brings up STORES on LDDI, then SCS Left again brings up Az/El page
    • SCS Aft alternates between HSI/SA page in AMPCD
    • Undesignate creates L&S on #1 priority HAFU if it doesn't exist, steps L&S if L&S exists, alternates L&S and DT2 if L&S and DT2 exist.

[*]"GO STT" HUD indication when radar is in RWS+LTWS (or TWS), L&S is designated and AIM-7 is selected

[*]Velocity Search mode

[*]Jamming strobes (angle only track)

[*]Az/El page

[*]Fleshed out AACQ logic STT priority:

1. STT HAFU under cursor ("fast acq"), the idea of this is to skip having to double TDC depress to STT
  2. STT L&S if no HAFU is under cursor
  3. STT #1 priority HAFU if L&S does not exist
  4. STT RWS Acquisition Point cue (which is the #1 priority HAFU when the HAFU is not displayed in RWS)
  5. The closest target in RWS with LTWS disabled
  6. The fastest target in VS
  7. AACQ should ignore friendly HAFUs
  8. If in STT, return to search and exclude the previously STT'd target range and azimuth, then STT first detected target ("bump acq")

Of course, I'm not saying all of this needs to be fixed quickly or anything, but it would be nice if at least some of these get addressed in the near/medium term (especially the bugs).

If anyone has anything they want to add to the list or any corrections, let me know and I'll edit it.

Happy holidays!

PS: Please don't just tag this post with [LATER IN EARLY ACCESS], I spent like 2 hours writing this :(

Edited by Santi871

Santi871,

Thank you for the dedication and time you have put into compiling this list, Keep up the good work !!

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Santi871,

Thank you for the dedication and time you have put into compiling this list, Keep up the good work !!

+1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Excellent work Santi871! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

+1

Would be amazing to get a priority on the HOTAS shortcuts and the AACQ logic please!

:joystick:

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 8 months later...
I think this should be a priority before moving on to new systems like the ATFLIR.

Absolutely.

Some of the quality of life features and bug adjustments for AA radar modes would add more than another TGP with similar capability as the one we’ve got.

Hopefully any work on the AZ/EL page will force/require/encourage some additions to the radar in general.

• 2 weeks later...
General - Radar emits with Weight On Wheels by myself, 4 months ago

This one drives me insane every single time I trap on the carrier and activate NWS LO/HI, and end up locking some poor guy in the Marshal stack.

Also the azimuth selections disappear when the cursor is placed over them in RWS, but not in TWS.

This one drives me insane every single time I trap on the carrier and activate NWS LO/HI, and end up locking some poor guy in the Marshal stack.

That is why I tend to turn the Radar to off right before engaging NWS to HI.

But it could actually be a correct behavior. Have a look at this and watch the left DDI ( So far the frame rate differences between GoPro and DDI allow it ) But you can see the lock:

https://youtu.be/KEKDSTgDR2M?t=900

Wondering by myself that the one that got locked perhaps is annoyed by the buddy spike.

Edited by Andartu

That is why I tend to turn the Radar to off right before engaging NWS to HI.

But it could actually be a correct behavior. Have a look at this and watch the left DDI ( So far the frame rate differences between GoPro and DDI allow it ) But you can see the lock:

https://youtu.be/KEKDSTgDR2M?t=900

Wondering by myself that the one that got locked perhaps is annoyed by the buddy spike.

that is not a lock, the guy in the pattern did not get spiked

the F18 radar turns it self off when weight on wheals

its probably a target destination of a track file form the data link

that is not a lock, the guy in the pattern did not get spiked

the F18 radar turns it self off when weight on wheals

its probably a target destination of a track file form the data link

Ok, interesting. Cause it looked like the same like a lock though.

Never mind then and of course that needs to get fixed.

Radar knob in STBY or OFF prior to landing and it still locks up random stuff with WoW. Additionally, first post in this thread states that our Hornet fails to shut off its radar with WoW.

Hmm weird, no lock with radar off WoW on my side after NWS HI. But yes Radar STBY otherwise is not enough and still locks stuff.

Hmm weird, no lock with radar off WoW on my side after NWS HI. But yes Radar STBY otherwise is not enough and still locks stuff.

It usually happens if I use the radar to lock or bug someone during the flight. It also doesn't lock, it just bugs the target, so no RWR spike.