BS1[Steam]+BS2[Upgrade] to BS2[Full]

MeerCaT

There is probably very few of us left who have this BS1-BS2 migration still festering on their TODO list. Live for today... Procrastinate till tomorrow!

I have read a lot of threads about this process and now find myself repeatedly circling in a pool of the same pages, posts and information yet I'm not able to achieve the migration. I'm probably being blind to something obvious. At least I hope so.

Here's my situation and what I understand of the process:

• I use DCS World standalone v2.5.6 (Open Beta)
  • I have the Steam version of DCS: Black Shark (1)
    • This is a standalone program completely separate to the 'DCS World' environment as we know it today
    • No license key available/visible within Steam

[*]I have the DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade version

• I have the key for this, and this module exists within my DCS World standalone

[*]Migration Route 1

I understand there is an official mechanism to migrate from the 'BS1 + BS2Upgrade' combination to the single full 'DCS: Black Shark 2' module:

[*]Migration Route 2

Another route is the "transfer keyless DCS modules purchased on STEAM":

I'm now not sure what other options are available since I don't seem able (or at least not aware of how) to progress with either of these two routes.

Of course it's only really an issue if/when I come to perform a complete reinstall on a new machine (no imminent plans at the moment).

And it may even become a moot point with the introduction of DCS: Black Shark 3, if I opt to purchase that and then abandon completely the original 'bird' that got me started in this world almost 10 years ago. :cry:

On a completely separate note (now you've got me reminiscing and all teary-eyed about BS1): the background/menu music for Black Shark 1 (and standalone BS2, I think) was amazing. Did that never get carried over into DCS World?

For those who have so far been denied the pleasure of this music, here's your chance to catch up on your cultural education:

I have read a lot of threads about this process and now find myself repeatedly circling in a pool of the same pages, posts and information yet I'm not able to achieve the migration. I'm probably being blind to something obvious. At least I hope so.

AFAIK you'll need to contact support.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

ED will exchange your BS2 upgrade and BS1 licence keys for one "full" BS2 licence key.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206574

Owners of the Steam version of BS1 "DCS: Black Shark" need a screen shot to show they have a copy in their Steam Account/Library as that version didn't have a CD key and IIRC uses Steam's DRM instead.

As a bonus, Steam owners get to keep access to BS1 and get a FULL licence for BS2 in exchange for their "BS2 Upgrade Key".

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thank you sir. I've fired off a ticket and yes it seems you are quite right, in the section of the 'New ticket wizard' for specifically addressing this issue ("Replacement of BS2 upgrade key to BS2 full version") they state the following:

In case of Black Shark 1 purchased on Steam provide a screenshot from the Steam library with BS1

(...and of course you'll also need to provide your BS2 upgrade serial key)

Surely I must be about the last one through the door on this now? :)

Thank you sir. I've fired off a ticket and yes it seems you are quite right, in the section of the 'New ticket wizard' for specifically addressing this issue ("Replacement of BS2 upgrade key to BS2 full version") they state the following:

(...and of course you'll also need to provide your BS2 upgrade serial key)

Surely I must be about the last one through the door on this now? :)

I finally replaced my BS1 to BS2 upgrade key (purchased in 2012) this week too, so there's likely a few other stragglers as well!

Of course since I hated needing BS1 installed (before they stopped doing this), I picked up BS2 full during a sale in 2014, and then just purchased the Heli Bundle when this current sale started, so now have 2 extra BS2 keys (and a Huey key) that I'm trying to figure out what to do with!

Edited by jlummel

This profile (jlummel) is not in use anymore!

I managed to recover my original forum profile, StressLess, and have gone back to using it!

At the risk of hijacking my own thread...

@jlummel - It may be worth approaching ED Support about your 'spare' products. Of course, I'm quite sure they are under no obligation to do anything all about it, but perhaps there is a small chance they could do something as a goodwill gesture. Especially if you have a lot of modules in your account. (Transfer to another account? Conversion to 'ED miles'?)

As they say: You don't get if you don't ask.

Which reminds me, now you mention it, I've got an accidental double purchase of the Nevada terrain from several years ago.