SAS : ON of OFF ?

TheSkipjack95

So it is mentioned in the Heatblur manual that Roll SAS should be switched off during flight above 15 AoA, but in the NATOPS a somewhat lengthy paragraph says the opposite.

Which should be followed ? In the NATOPS manuals one can find it is also said that depressing the AP disco paddle does not disable SAS in pitch and roll, but in sim the switches do actually move.

For me it seems to make controls smoother in a fight. I noticed that if you pull hard with SAS on, first it tries to dampen the pull, then gives up and you end up getting this oscillation of the nose. Can't confirm but turning it off seems to make pulling up to a certain G/AoA much more precise and easy.

Which should be followed ? In the NATOPS manuals one can find it is also said that depressing the AP disco paddle does not disable SAS in pitch and roll, but in sim the switches do actually move.

I was wondering about that as well...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Which NATOPS? If I’m not mistaken, the NATOPS for F14s with DFCS does say to leave them all on. However, our F14 has the AFCS so this does not apply

That was the issue. The manual found online (through hoggit) is the one with dfcs, and not afcs.

Problem solved!

The F-14A manual with AFCS is identical to the B with DFCS; roll and pitch stab can be disabled when required but yaw should never be disabled.

Additionally the AFCS manual specifies that the handle disables pitch and roll stab but does not turn the switches off.

https://i.imgur.com/QrNaKmi.png

I think that ingame the switches turn off because it would flood the forum with "bug reports" to have SAS off with the switch on... I know it's unrealistic but as a function of gameplay I like it this way. (in any case, HB could add an option)

Roll SAS is counter productive above 15 units AOA. Because of control reversal in roll (right stick producing a left roll) at higher angles of attack, when the SAS puts an input in attempting to help damp an unwanted movement it actually exacerbates the problem. The later DFCS jets had a more advanced SAS system that didn't have this problem. hence the confusion from the Natops etc. For our generation of Tomcat roll SAS should be OFF during ACM.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Which NATOPS? If I’m not mistaken, the NATOPS for F14s with DFCS does say to leave them all on. However, our F14 has the AFCS so this does not apply

Correct. Roll SAS off.

Okie was a Maverick. Love the guy. Jets and crew have been lost with roll SAS contributing.

Viewpoints are my own.

The F-14A manual with AFCS is identical to the B with DFCS; roll and pitch stab can be disabled when required but yaw should never be disabled.

Additionally the AFCS manual specifies that the handle disables pitch and roll stab but does not turn the switches off.

https://i.imgur.com/QrNaKmi.png

So in DCS the solenoids just let the switches go back to off by their springload while the real thing keeps them on, but disabling the channels while the paddle is held. That's a lot off difference.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg