Current state of the Viggen?

JanTelefon

Hey! I haven't flown the Viggen or DCS at all for quite a while. The many issues have driven me away time and time again. I am however thinking of picking it up again, so my questions are these:

What state is the Viggen currently in in DCS 2.0? Is it working for simple navigation and strike missions? Which weapons work in multiplayer and which don't? Is it generally broken? What about the HUD? Were there any updates to the Viggen in todays update?

I thank you very much in advance for any information you can give.

Have a good one! :joystick::pilotfly:

• Like 1

Same here. Moved away from 1.x and mostly playing in Nevada. But viggen without water is not interesting. Normandy is too slow in vr currently.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

What drove me away was a lot of stuff including, but not limited to, the underpowered flight model, the issues with re-arming, some weapons (RB04, RB15, BK90) not working properly, the lack of some, or not properly working, finer points like Time On Target, Recon mode (skuggning) or proper VR use of the Maverick sight.

There were a lot of things off with the Viggen, and I simply want to know the general opinion on how the plane works currently.

All though I like flying the Viggen as is. I think in depth patching will not occur till the 2.5 unification. Hopefully soon....its roughly 8 months overdue according to some past (optimistic) posts!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

What drove me away was a lot of stuff including, but not limited to, the underpowered flight model, the issues with re-arming, some weapons (RB04, RB15, BK90) not working properly, the lack of some, or not properly working, finer points like Time On Target, Recon mode (skuggning) or proper VR use of the Maverick sight.

There were a lot of things off with the Viggen, and I simply want to know the general opinion on how the plane works currently.

Most of what you mention doesn't appear to have changed (though some reloading has been fixed). However, we were able to properly use the RB15 last night, so that has improved some. BK90 is still non-cluster in MP, and the Maverick sight is still an issue in VR (AFAIK).

If its not in the changelog that ED post on Wednesday i assume its not fixed/Updated.

That's a bad assumption, because most of the time ED doesn't post 3rd party changelogs (except Belsimtek).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Un true they posted M2000 update in there changelog i believe. Thus the idea of a changelog 3rd parties submit there builds to ED.

I did not say "always", I said "most of the time" and that's exactly what happened in the past. Some 3rd party patchlogs have been posted in EDs newsletter, but most have not. The 3rd parties usally have their own changelog threads.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Usually its the 3rd parties fault that our changelogs are not included. ED are busy, they do sometimes prompt us to add our stuff- but I'll admit that we're not proactive enough to approach them when the time is right.

We have new staff coming onboard soon who will be responsible for this.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the screen shots work.

one is from 1.5 and the other from 2. whatever was the last upgrade.

the problem being the latest cockpit ha s blurred lettering especially on

the weapon selector. Anyone else have this problem?

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Screenshot.png

Desktop_Screenshot_2017.08.27_-_17.44.48.89.png

or proper VR use of the Maverick sight.

What was wrong with it? I tested Viggen about month ago and the collimated sight worked very well (far better than in 2D as you finally could get both, HUD as the sight visible same time).

What just worries me is that is the sight TV screen really suppose to be so hard edged so that it is so clear square inside it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I hope the screen shots work.

one is from 1.5 and the other from 2. whatever was the last upgrade.

the problem being the latest cockpit ha s blurred lettering especially on

the weapon selector. Anyone else have this problem?

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Screenshot.png

Desktop_Screenshot_2017.08.27_-_17.44.48.89.png

You seem to have changed your texture setting from high to medium or low.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

What was wrong with it? I tested Viggen about month ago and the collimated sight worked very well (far better than in 2D as you finally could get both, HUD as the sight visible same time).

What just worries me is that is the sight TV screen really suppose to be so hard edged so that it is so clear square inside it.

It's not collimated. If you put left eye against it, it's off to the right, and if you put the right eye against it, it's off to the left. Also moving your head back and forth makes the image bigger or smaller. You can actually exploit it by moving your head back, makes spotting targets easier.

But that's supposedly some bug in the DCS engine. ED needs to fix it.

Anyway, I have the impression that everything I touch in the Viggen is bugged/broken one way or another. Tried it today for a short flight and the fuel regulator is still broken at idle, weapon launch indicator (TAKT) is broken, A2A gunsight aim point is in incorrect place, backup gunsight doesn't work, RB-24 missiles launch in the wrong sequence, the manual is [iNSERT IMAGE HERE], hasn't been touched for six months. In the latest patch the guys managed to mess up keyboard shortcuts even more than they were before.

But hey, it's crunch time for F-14 development, all aboard the hype!

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It's not collimated. If you put left eye against it, it's off to the right, and if you put the right eye against it, it's off to the left. Also moving your head back and forth makes the image bigger or smaller. You can actually exploit it by moving your head back, makes spotting targets easier.

But that's supposedly some bug in the DCS engine. ED needs to fix it.

The sight is projected at a distance (IIRC) of 2 metres, unlike infinity as HUDs.

The sight gets bigger and smaller because of the zoom lens. This is working as intended.

Anyway, I have the impression that everything I touch in the Viggen is bugged/broken one way or another. Tried it today for a short flight and the fuel regulator is still broken at idle, weapon launch indicator (TAKT) is broken, A2A gunsight aim point is in incorrect place, backup gunsight doesn't work, RB-24 missiles launch in the wrong sequence, the manual is [iNSERT IMAGE HERE], hasn't been touched for six months. In the latest patch the guys managed to mess up keyboard shortcuts even more than they were before.

The Viggen has flaws, we're aware and we're working on them.

But hey, it's crunch time for F-14 development, all aboard the hype!

1/6 Viggen team members are working on the F-14.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

The sight is projected at a distance (IIRC) of 2 metres, unlike infinity as HUDs.

The sight gets bigger and smaller because of the zoom lens. This is working as intended.

In 2D or in VR? It can't work as intended in both, because it behaves differently. In VR, as you move your head back, the image grows larger. In 2D it grows larger when you move your head forward. And the left-right movement in VR is messed up too. The image is rendered in different place for the left eye, and in different place for the right eye.

The Viggen has flaws, we're aware and we're working on them.

1/6 Viggen team members are working on the F-14.

Unfortunately that does not mean 5/6 Viggen team members have been working a lot on the Viggen for the last seven months. I'm not denying that you don't work on it or you're not aware of the issues, it's just at the current pace, we're in for another loong beta.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Unfortunately that does not mean 5/6 Viggen team members have been working a lot on the Viggen for the last seven months. I'm not denying that you don't work on it or you're not aware of the issues, it's just at the current pace, we're in for another loong beta.

There simply isn't that much which is broken. The list of major issues is dwindling rapidly.

We'll get there quicker than you think. :)

There have been about 200 minor and major fixes since release- and that does not include hundreds of hours spent on new features that have not been announced.

For the VR collimation issue: Chris has just received his Rift and can now troubleshoot directly (instead of indirectly by the rest of us reporting in).

This still seems like a base engine level issue currently.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

You seem to have changed your texture setting from high to medium or low.

Nicholas Dackard

Thank you Nicholas that indeed was the problem. I now have

that beautiful cockpit back, the best in the game.

cheers,

Ibis.

There simply isn't that much which is broken. The list of major issues is dwindling rapidly.

We'll get there quicker than you think. :)

I always like to be pleasantly surprised :)

In 2D or in VR? It can't work as intended in both, because it behaves differently. In VR, as you move your head back, the image grows larger. In 2D it grows larger when you move your head forward. And the left-right movement in VR is messed up too. The image is rendered in different place for the left eye, and in different place for the right eye.

I think it is by design a such that you need to find the position in VR where you see the with other eye the collimation sight and then HUD with an another.

It is easy in VR as you have 3D and doesn't require such 2D moving that can't show it same time so we..

Anyways you are not placing an eye on it but look at it from from about normal seated distance.

If it has a zoom lens in front, you can't possibly see it from all direction with both eyes. It is like a using scope with two eyes instead binoculars where you have scopes on both eyes.

This is space saver as you don't need an CRT display with a matte glass that will spread electronic drawn image to every direction.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It would be nice to have the possibility to export the sight to a second monitor as well .

All in all, Viggen status right now is quite stable and, although there are some bugs here and there, I don't expect changes in the operation of the a/c, everything works pretty much as in the manual. I'm quite happy witht the module honestly (the a/c itself and the mission for what it was designed is not for everybody's taste though)

Regards!

I think it is by design a such that you need to find the position in VR where you see the with other eye the collimation sight and then HUD with an another.

It is easy in VR as you have 3D and doesn't require such 2D moving that can't show it same time so we..

Anyways you are not placing an eye on it but look at it from from about normal seated distance.

If it has a zoom lens in front, you can't possibly see it from all direction with both eyes. It is like a using scope with two eyes instead binoculars where you have scopes on both eyes.

This is space saver as you don't need an CRT display with a matte glass that will spread electronic drawn image to every direction.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

:doh:

Do a little exercise. Close your right eye, put your left eye against the sight and note where the image is shown. Now close the left eye and put your right eye in the same spot. See the difference?

And now disable VR and check how it should look like.