Navigation in Normandy?

colyoap

After reading mudspike's review I'm really interested in getting the Normandy map. I'll enjoy some WWII reenactments but will probably fly helicopters and the hog more than anything, but how can I navigate in the map once the cdu gets knocked out? Last I knew the df didn't work in the a-10 and I doubt the airfield will have tacan/ils. Am I missing something or is this just how it is?

• Like 1

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

Since this is a 1944 map, we will not have any ILS, TCN or modern NAV systems available, and Matt said ED isn't planning to do that for now.

Also we aren't going to have the moving map (TAD) of the A-10C, at least the textures, since they don't have access to it (IIRC). Not sure if we can improvise that thru mods tho.

Edited by Vitormouraa

Since this is a 1944 map, we will not have any ILS, TCN or modern NAV systems available, and Matt said ED isn't planning to do that for now.

Also we aren't going to have the moving map (TAD) of the A-10C, at least the textures, since they don't have access to it (IIRC). Not sure if we can improvise that thru mods tho.

Kinda takes away from the viability of using this aircraft in this map, no? I've seen all the videos of Matt flying around in more modern aircraft but not sure how combat effective they can be now with no form of tad or df ability?

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

Kinda takes away from the viability of using this aircraft in this map, no? I've seen all the videos of Matt flying around in more modern aircraft but not sure how combat effective they can be now with no form of tad or df ability?

Yes, but that is not necessarily unrealistic. Just think about an full fledged war scenario with massive jamming and other ECM employment. In a WWIII scenario, I would not expect many radio or sattelite NAV and COMs to be operational ...

• Like 1

as far as I know, it works, the GPS and stuff, but you just don't have the moving map textures (TAD).

Probably too early to ask but I wonder if the divert menu would work then?

Not sure why anybody should fly the Hog in Normandy? It doesn't belong there.

T/O and landing would be cool on an improvised or dirt runway, plus I only have 2.0 and would like a change of scenery from the desert.

Of course it belongs there ... if the bad guys have a foothold there then someone has to push them out again, right? :smilewink:

It all depends - on the creativity of the mission designer and our imagination as vpilots.

• Like 1

That`s right ! People talk a lot about reality of the sim. They want to get as close as possible to the reality. And then they want to fly A10 or other jets in 1944. This turns the whole thing into a comic world.

Do not missunderstand, the Normandy map loks fantastic and it needs WW 2 planes, nothing else. IMHO.

• Like 1

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Probably too early to ask but I wonder if the divert menu would work then?

I'm not sure about that... you should ask someone that is testing the map.

Well, kinda, it's not an appropriate scenario to fly the A-10C, but it's available as an option, you can do whatever you want, DCS gives you that opportunity to do it if you want. :) But overall, I agree, this map was developed to be used for WWII purposes, if the A-10C is missing its features because of the map, I don't have any problems with that.

That`s right ! People talk a lot about reality of the sim. They want to get as close as possible to the reality. And then they want to fly A10 or other jets in 1944. This turns the whole thing into a comic world.

Do not missunderstand, the Normandy map loks fantastic and it needs WW 2 planes, nothing else. IMHO.

Without the WWII asset pack what about the map is sooo unrealistic? Sure some buildings are older but I'm sure there are some parts of modern day Normandy with older architecture. Definitely good enough for a small scenario using the a10 or su25t on a dirt runway, just don't set up the mission to fly over a major city area.

This is kinda getting off topic. It was stated by wags that modern aircraft will work in Normandy, so without going any further into"should" they be there, I'm only curious as too what capacity they will be able to navigate.

Everybody can do as they please. It's your money that bought it.

Personally, I like to keep everything as real as possible. It's the only way I can get immersed in it and feel it's a sim and not an arcade game.

Buzz

To answer the OP's question. If you choose to fly the A-10c in 1944 you better learn to navigate like it was done in 44.

Then again all you have to do is click F10. I hate that the F10 option is available.

Buzz

To answer the OP's question. If you choose to fly the A-10c in 1944 you better learn to navigate like it was done in 44.

Via GCI like today?

Yeah... You had radar operators that guided you in over radio....

That is how it is done even today, you are seen in the radar (every aircraft) and then you are guided in, you flying blindly without your own radar.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You have a map and watch/clock and the plane has a compass. You also have landmarks if you can see them.

Yes, they got lost a lot, but that's how it was and we should be simulating it.

Buzz

I hate that the F10 option is available.

s

The whole point of options is to give you options. You don't have to use it while others can if they wish. Options are never a bad thing, or would you prefer it if there were only one type of rifle on the market?

Btw, ED is working on a GPS option that can be used in various aircraft, you really aren't going to like that. ;)

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Of course this map is designed for the WWII era. So I have no problems with the fact that there are no modern nav systems.

But since this area of France does not look so different nowadays, it is not a "comic" scenario to fly there with more modern aircraft.

So isn't there the possibility to add e.g. NDBs on the user side for this map?

I remember gospadin did extra beacons for NTTR [1]. But I don't know what else is possible. Would be interesting :)

• Like 1

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Of course this map is designed for the WWII era. So I have no problems with the fact that there are no modern nav systems.

But since this area of France does not look so different nowadays, it is not a "comic" scenario to fly there with more modern aircraft.

So isn't there the possibility to add e.g. NDBs on the user side for this map?

I remember gospadin did extra beacons for NTTR [1]. But I don't know what else is possible. Would be interesting :)

Thank you! I'm not looking to take anything away from any hardcover WWII simmers, I plan on doing more than enough WWII myself, just looking for any options for newer aircraft to get the most "bang for the buck" if I purchase this map.

Navigate with clock and heading was kindly the stuff that ww2 pilots did use.

They had to prepare navigation before flying and using maps.

Let see to the DCS map and chek out distance and heading between nav points will not be so difficult.

Compute the time for each leg and that's it.

Will be funny to find some lost pilots crying over the Normandy map:)poor little boy:)

Add NDB could be done easily with some vehicles transmitting

Or simply design a zone and add trigger continue transmitting (AM)while part of coalition gets in.

Will see:)

Edited by cromhunt

Navigate with clock and heading was kindly the stuff that ww2 pilots did use.

They had to prepare navigation before flying and using maps.

Let see to the DCS map and chek out distance and heading between nav points will not be so difficult.

Compute the time for each leg and that's it.

Will be funny to find some lost pilots crying over the Normandy map:)poor little boy:)

Add NDB could be done easily with some vehicles transmitting

Or simply design a zone and add trigger continue transmitting (AM)while part of coalition gets in.

Will see:)

But can the a-10c home on an ndb, as far as I know that isn't implemented