Snap View for CDU

GazAce

Hey good Pilots,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to keep the snap view on CDU without having to keep my finger on the number 3 key? I hold the Win key then the 3 on the number pad which gives me the CDU but I can let go of the Win key and still view it but not the num pad 3, hope that makes sense.

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Mapping to HOTAS?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

LWin+Num9 RCtrl+Num0 Changes snap views to "toggle" mode.

Num1 .. Num9 (with no modifiers) will switch view to the corresponding snap view, and stay there until the user selects a different snap view, or taps Num0.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Rudel_chw, I'll try that. Mine seems to need the Num pressed whilst in the view. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'll check again. And thank you Fakum, yes I would map that command to HOTAS, I've got a couple of spare switches on my throttle that aren't being used. All I'm basically wanting is a good.. both hands free down view of my CDU, Cheers.

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

ok, I know it works, I have done it many times in the past. I actually used my TrackIR to get the view I wanted, then paused it, and set the snap view to that.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Saving a pref snap shot for mapping possible?

Thanks Fakum, appreciate the reply amigo. Hey but I found a really cool function view to use but I still need a small helping hand in completing what I want to do. Ok, first for some reason I lost my snap view down onto my CDU, it's now only showing the top half of my CDU screen which is not much chop, it wasn't very good anyway as it was a zoomed out view from the beginning anyway, I think I may have fooled around with the keys too much, I don't know, whatever but I discovered this awesome view by pressing Right Ctrl + Shift which then kinda floats and zooms your view around and over things in whatever way you like to a certain pint of course. Well after that I found the perfect screen shot or view of my CDU, it takes up nearly all of my 55" screen which is beautiful and includes all of the CDU screen and it's LSKs and also the Rotary dials/switches below BUT my question is.. can I save that view or image if you like to a mapped key function I choose ie: like one of the switches on my throttle that's not being used or a keyboard command I make up? I'm hoping that's possiblesmile.gif

Not exactly clear on your question, but fundamentally, I have ALWAYS been able to set any snap view and have it mapped to my HOTAS. As long as your using the correct procedure and key mapping on your HOTAS. I do NOT use the HOTAS at all while setting the snap view.

Snap views can only be assigned to the keys pre-defined for the purpose. You can then assign one, or more, of those key combos to any joystick button.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Rctrl+Num 0 then Num 3. To unlock from snap views just press Num 0 afterwards. Might want to adjust to user snap views to get the full CDU in display. hope this helped.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks fellas, I very much appreciate your input and sorry if my question was a tad convoluted. All I basically want is a view that I find that's suitable and to be able to save it and map it to my controller. And it's my snap view to my CDU that's causing the problem. Like I mentioned in my prev post I'm only seeing the top half of my CDU when I use that snap view. And also like I mentioned I've fiddled around with it and found that Right Ctrl + Shift after I snap view to my CDU then I can use that to finally get a good image. It's ok for now but it would easier if I could go bang there it is instead fiddling around. Thanks again anyway, I'll take onboard what you all recommended and try some more tonight on my Rampstart P.S , WildBillKelsoe, yes thank you I do realise the RCtrl + Num etc but you then mentioned I might want to adjust to "user snap views" to get the full CDU in display. I may have already tried that but just in case not, how do you adjust the user snap views and are they any different from the generic snap views?

Edited by GazAce
question

Also, you may alrady know this but if you are mapping snap views to HOTAS, you must first MAP the Snapview command to your HOTAS ( I forget what its is), then press the snap view button on your HOTAS that you mapped. in other words, to view a snap view, it is a 2 step process. for example in my case, I hit the S3 button and H2 UP to initiate the command for Snap View, then I hit S3+H2 Right brings up a clear shot of my CDU Only, then S3+H2 UP again to go back to cockpit view.

I'm actually more confused now than what I was initially lol. Although, thanks Fakum I do appreciate your help man. Just wondering.. what are your S3 and H2 buttons? Do you use TM HOTAS Throttle n Stick like me? And I'm just puzzled as to why my snap view to my CDU only shows the top half of that panel. It's a mystery but I can get around it by using that other method I mentioned but I would prefer an immediate view. Sorry, just realised what you use is written above me doh

Edited by GazAce

... how do you adjust the user snap views and are they any different from the generic snap views?

Hi,

Here is the procedure for customizing.

customizing snap views

There are ten customisable Snap Views, accessed via a key combination involving the numeric keypad keys 0 to 9. The "default view" (normally bound to numeric keypad 5 with no modifiers) is also treated like a Snap View for customisation purposes, though it does not otherwise behave like one.

The default bindings in DCS A-10C Warthog are:

Num0 Momentary-action snap view (while held) of control panel. LWin+Num1 .. LWin+Num9 Momentary-action snap view (while held) of various areas of cockpit, hud and external views Num0+Num1 .. Num0+Num9 Same as for LWin+Num1 .. LWin+Num9 RCtrl+Num0 Changes snap views to "toggle" mode. Num1 .. Num9 (with no modifiers) will switch view to the corresponding snap view, and stay there until the user selects a different snap view, or taps Num0.

Customisation

You can customise the predefined position of any snap view, and of the "default" view. Customised view positions will be permanently saved in the game's configuration files.

By default, in DCS World, customisation of snap views is disabled. To enable it go to Settings - Gameplay

Customisation Procedure

The keystroke RAlt+Num0 (default binding) will save the current view position against the last-selected Snap View, or against the "default" view if that was the last selected. The simplest procedure for customising a Snap View is as follows:

Customising a Snap View

1. Set your current view up as you want it saved.

2. Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customising. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.

3. Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customised snap view!

Customising the Default View

1. Press Num5 to reset your view to the current default.

2. Adjust your view to what you want as the new default but do not use any snap view keys in the process!

3. Press RALT+Num0 - your new default view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then pressing Num5 - your view should return to your customised default!

Restoring the Factory Defaults

To discard your customisations and return to the factory default snap views (and "default" view), you need to delete the SnapViews.lua file from the config\view folder (i.e. the same folder where you edited the View.lua file earlier). After deleting SnapViews.lua, make a copy of SnapViewsDefault.lua (also found in the same folder), and rename that copy SnapViews.lua.

------

Another way to do it is with Track IR. When you first get in the pit hit LWDWS+NUM1 and release. Then using Track IR, move to the side and get the exact view of the radios that you want using body motion and zoom. When you have it set, pause Track IR and hit RALT+NUM0 to save it. now when you hit RWDWS+1 it will be your new saved view.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Wow! that's incredible and I'm very grateful for your input, thank you, I'll be trying that out asap. Cheers

Wow! that's incredible and I'm very grateful for your input, thank you, I'll be trying that out asap. Cheers

Hope they are useful to you, but I cant take credit for that ... I keep a scrapbook where I keep useful snipets that find sometime on the Forum or at Steam's

... unfortunately, I didn't recorded the authors name at the time, so I dont know who to thank for this useful info :(

All cool, it's great and thoughtful that you passed it on, thanks. I now just got to go through it slowly and make sure it works and it's there for keeps. Cheers.

Edited by GazAce
Misspelled

"set:

DisableSnapViewsSaving = true

Within this file:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\View.lua

SnapViews.lua

Gets automatically created by DCS in the

C:\Users\[uSER]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View

Folder when you save a snap view."

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Thank you majapahit for your input. This issue is kinda resolved for me as now I'm able to at least get a view of my CDU that's useable. Although I'm puzzled as to why the CDU is not available to me in a view that includes both my rotary dials for selecting waypoints, mission and other options. I can include these in the view but I have to zoom out to a length that then makes the CDU screen virtually unreadable. It's ok, like I said I found a pretty good view now. Thank you again to all who helped. Cheers G

CDU View finally resolved

Eureka I found it! I was using right Ctrl + Shift + Num and instead of a number I pressed / or * by mistake and found that the view could moved up and down whilst zoomed in on my CDU, so Right Ctrl + Shift + / or * gives me the perfect view of my CDU with its dials and also I saved a view for my Radio panel as well. It's great what you can discover.

Glad you figured it out, I was away over the weekend and could not chime in. Yeah, you should be able to create any custom view you desire and snap to it.

Snap issue finally sorted yayy! ;-)

Glad you figured it out, I was away over the weekend and could not chime in. Yeah, you should be able to create any custom view you desire and snap to it.

Yea me too, was doin my head in and it's so nice to be able to snap to any view I desire now although I still have to hold down the number key that's chosen but that's ok too cause whilst doing that any dial, knob or switch is still mouse clickable AND it's saving a sore neck tilting my head all the time haha.

Thank you again very much to all who chimed in with tips. Cheers, G smile.gif