DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was just doing the Overwatch mission for the A10C, and I flew over a town that had 4 Russians w/ AKs in it. As I flew over they opened fire, setting one of my engines on fire and completely disabling my HUD!

Personally I think this is a bit ridiculous as the A10 is built to take worse than some small arms fire. Are these AKs too OP?

Personally I think this is a bit ridiculous as the A10 is built to take worse than some small arms fire. Are these AKs too OP?

Sounds like a lot of damage. Then again, the A-10 was built with survivability in mind, not indestructibility. Since you survived... :music_whistling:

I guess the real question is... why on earth would you give up all the range advantages you have and dive into small arms range in the first place? :D

Sounds like a lot of damage. Then again, the A-10 was built with survivability in mind, not indestructibility. Since you survived... :music_whistling:

I guess the real question is... why on earth would you give up all the range advantages you have and dive into small arms range in the first place? :D

Never mind. Didn't see that there were a couple of ZU-23s down in the town as well, total noob mistake, my bad :doh:

So I wanted to try out dropping some bombs in salvos, and I loaded up a total of 18 Mk-82s on TERs on pylons 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9.

Then I went into the DSMS, pulled up the Mk-82 profile, and set it to RIP PRS with a RIP QTY of 6. Basically I wanted to unload 2 pylons of bombs (total of 6 bombs) every time I pressed weapons release.

What I noticed next was that when I dropped bombs from pylons 3 and 9, or from pylons 4 and 8, the bombs dropped in quick succession. However, when dropping from pylons 5 and 7, the bombs dropped one at a time instead of all at once. Any reason why this happens with pylons 5 and 7?

• 2 weeks later...
I know that cbu-87s and 103s are meant for soft targets while cbu-97 s and 105s are meant for armored targets. But can CBU 97s and 105s also be effective against soft targets?

Kinda. ;)

CBU-87's bomblets do contain a shaped charge and can be effective against (lightly) armored targets. The thing is, the bomblets are unguided and the chance of hitting an armored target in just the right spot is fairly limited.

The CBU-97's submunitions on the other hand, while primarily designed against vehicles and armored targets, also contain secondary effects against personnel. These submunitions are guided but will self destruct if they don't find a target before they reach the ground, meaning that the anti-personnel part won't take effect unless they actually find a vehicle or something similar to fire at.

As for how well all of this is simulated in DCS, I haven't tested it extensively, but as a rule of thumb, CBU-87 are probably a lot more efficient against infantery, while CBU-97 will wreak absolute havoc on armored columns and similar concentrations of vehicles.

I have the Saitek X52. I have programed my DCS A-10C commands from within DCS and not within the X52 software. My question concern the Pinky Switch (shift state). Right now I must press and release the Pinky Switch for any of the shift state commands to initiate; and then press the Pinky Switch again to re-initialize the initial commands. I would like to press and hold the Pinky Switch until I initiate a shift state command and when I release the Pinky Switch the initial commands are re-initiated. Can anyone help me with the setting, in the DCS controls configuration, that will allow me to press and hold the Pinky Switch for the shift state commands and when I release the Pinky Switch, I return to the initial commands?

Hey I'm new to the A-10C and I have a question about an issue I've noticed:

When I go to lock up a new target for my Mavericks and I use the TGP to find the target, make SPI and then slave all to SPI. Then I go to the Maverick page and sure enough the weapon is pointed at the target, but I cannot fire because it doesn't have a track. I end up slewing the Maverick away and then back to get my firing solution. Is this just goofy or am I doing something incorrect?

Hey I'm new to the A-10C and I have a question about an issue I've noticed:

When I go to lock up a new target for my Mavericks and I use the TGP to find the target, make SPI and then slave all to SPI. Then I go to the Maverick page and sure enough the weapon is pointed at the target, but I cannot fire because it doesn't have a track. I end up slewing the Maverick away and then back to get my firing solution. Is this just goofy or am I doing something incorrect?

TMS Up is used to lock the maverick on to the target. You also need to make sure that you have the Maverick selected on the DSMS and that you are in range. What range are you at when trying to lock the target and being unsuccessful?

• Like 1

Then I go to the Maverick page and sure enough the weapon is pointed at the target, but I cannot fire because it doesn't have a track.

Hit TMS Forward Short. That makes the Maverick track whatever is under the crosshairs, if it can be tracked. :thumbup:

Edit: :gun_sniper:

Thanks, TMS Forward Short was the answer.

Reading the manual has started turning my brain to mush.

Read it at your own pace there's no rush. I recommend learning weapon employment first, then other things like ILS, inputting Waypoints into the CDU, start up etc

it's a good idea to check youtube for tutorials. It gives a lot of answers in easier explanation way.

• Like 2

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

I have a question about buddy lasing and the LSS/LST mode of the TGP:

1. If someone is lasing a tank for me w/ their TGP, we both have the same lase code, and I want to drop a GBU-12, do I have to come in from the same direction as the aircraft that is buddy lasing? Or can I come in from any direction?

2. If someone is buddy lazing, can I use the LSS/LST mode on my TGP to find the target?

1. Technically yes, the laser may be hidden by the target itself (e.g. one side of the truck). Painting the top should get rid of the problem. With that said, buddy lasing is done with both aircrafts coming from the same direction anyway.

2. Yes, provided you can point the TGP in the general area of the painted target.

• Like 1

Normally i mainly use the tgp for target acqusition, but since recently i try to work more with the TDC to have less time on the screens and therfore more situational awareness.

However i often have the problem that the SPI changes from the TDC to iffcc (ccip?!) and then won't change back to the tdc. Also i can't reset SPI back to steerpoint, which is sth. i would often do, when SPI is tgp.

So my question would be, why the SPI TDC changes to iffcc at some point and how to get back to TDC SPI or how to get back to steerpoint SPI.

thanks!

I have a question about buddy lasing and the LSS/LST mode of the TGP:

1. If someone is lasing a tank for me w/ their TGP, we both have the same lase code, and I want to drop a GBU-12, do I have to come in from the same direction as the aircraft that is buddy lasing? Or can I come in from any direction?

2. If someone is buddy lazing, can I use the LSS/LST mode on my TGP to find the target?

1. You can come from any direction, just designate your target and attack it.

2. You should use LSS, because our A-10 doesn't have another ways to search laser spot :)

You just should know which laser code you're searching, and your friend is lasing, and config it at CTRL page of TGP (OSB1)

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

Normally i mainly use the tgp for target acqusition, but since recently i try to work more with the TDC to have less time on the screens and therfore more situational awareness.

However i often have the problem that the SPI changes from the TDC to iffcc (ccip?!) and then won't change back to the tdc. Also i can't reset SPI back to steerpoint, which is sth. i would often do, when SPI is tgp.

So my question would be, why the SPI TDC changes to iffcc at some point and how to get back to TDC SPI or how to get back to steerpoint SPI.

thanks!

When you we're created SPI using TGP and later you will switch to HUD for example and will be moving TDC - SPI will be still at the point which you set as SPI using TPG.

You need to setup SPI once again on new target, we can treat SPI as point which are saved in temporary memory i think.

TMS Down Long resets SPI to steerpoint. By default, SPI equals your steerpoint. Don't forget about that:) It means that you can't just delete your SPI. You can just reset it.

Don't know why it moves somewhere else...it shouldn't changes to somewhere...

I didn't had such cases.