FM changes - awesome sideslips now possible

I was testing the new FW190 A8 and noticed the sideslips are now awesome. If you put the rudder pedal in one corner and stick in the other the plane sinks like a stone, just like it should. The descent rate is almost 30 m/sec and speed is stable, around 200-220 km/h. There is no way i would have made that landing before 2.5.5, the sideslip effect was much lower.

Could it be that this was introduced before 2.5.5 and i didn't notice? I didn't try this in a while.

I did more flights in the D9, Spitfire and K4 and these sideslips are possible with all of them. Didn't try this with the Mustang yet.

• ED Team
I was testing the new FW190 A8 and noticed the sideslips are now awesome. If you put the rudder pedal in one corner and stick in the other the plane sinks like a stone, just like it should. The descent rate is almost 30 m/sec and speed is stable, around 200-220 km/h. There is no way i would have made that landing before 2.5.5, the sideslip effect was much lower.

Could it be that this was introduced before 2.5.5 and i didn't notice? I didn't try this in a while.

I did more flights in the D9, Spitfire and K4 and these sideslips are possible with all of them. Didn't try this with the Mustang yet.

Where have you been all these years? :) Placebo works!

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Where have you been all these years? :) Placebo works!

Maybe i only tried this before with the 109 K4 and was too disappointed to try it in other planes :)

Others noticed the sideslip effects were too low in the K4 and warbirds in general, not so long ago:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222780&highlight=sideslip+drag

But now the K4 performs nice sideslips too, so it's all good :)

Edited by Alex Voicu

• ED Team

And NOTHING was changed...

The ancient Chineese wisdom:

- If you are disappointed in DCS FM just seat at the river bank...

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

yes slide slip was since i start playing DCS :P ofc some planes can do deeper side slip then others

if you set very strong cross wind for landing its getting fun to land tail dragger

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

And NOTHING was changed...

The ancient Chineese wisdom:

- If you are disappointed in DCS FM just seat at the river bank...

You should know better than me if something was changed or not, but i could swear i tried this in the K4 no longer than 2 months ago and the sideslips were nowhere near this level. Maybe it was just a bad dream :)

• ED Team

I think you just glide slower.

A little bit off topic here but I am curious about which are your graphical settings. Your cockpit shadows look crisp and mine look pixelated despite having almost everything maxed out.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

A little bit off topic here but I am curious about which are your graphical settings. Your cockpit shadows look crisp and mine look pixelated despite having almost everything maxed out.

Shadows are on high, terrain object shadows on default, cockpit global illumination off.

I always made sideslips

Perhaps with the A8 it is more pronounced:)

Shadows are on high, terrain object shadows on default, cockpit global illumination off.

Only thing different than my setup is the global illumination in the cockpit. I will try it out off, thanks!

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

There's a post round here somewhere showing how you can edit the graphic options to increase shadow resolution. Takes a performance hit, but you can make em as crisp as you want.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

What does global illumination do?
+1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I noticed the same thing in VR although its worse when exposed to midday lighting, it still doesent seem as crisp as the 109 textures.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria