HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

The problem with the screw definitely sounds odd. I wonder if maybe they got it cross-threaded when they put it on there. That would certainly cause it to jam before being all the way tight and would prevent you from turning it either direction. That is definitely a quality control problem with HP, so you might want to look into getting a replacement order started. If you can't tighten that screw, you won't be able to fix your intermittent audio issues. Might as well get that taken care of while its still in warranty.

Glad you got your tracking issue fixed. I've been having more issues like that ever since updating Windows to 1903 and applying the WMR fix. I probably just need to re-run the room setup like you did. :doh:

Yeah I had already setup a refund request when I was getting the power surge message. Doesn't look like Amazon has anymore stock right now.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Get and install one of these and your USB power problems will go away for good, without having to play around with the order you plug things in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the intermittent sound issue, just tighten the slotted nuts that hold the earpieces on the headband and you'll be good to go. HP doesn't properly torque those at the factory.

It is much easier to bitching on Reverb and returns it just after unboxing. thumbup.gif

Edited by wormeaten

Also, try keeping the DCS PD at 1.0 (native resolution) and raising your SteamVR video resolution for better performance. (just using SS in SteamVR but keep MSAA at 2X in DCS and WMR to Very High (beta)) DCS just seems so inefficient in SS.

Yeah I had already setup a refund request when I was getting the power surge message. Doesn't look like Amazon has anymore stock right now.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Get and install one of these and your USB power problems will go away for good, without having to play around with the order you plug things in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the intermittent sound issue, just tighten the slotted nuts that hold the earpieces on the headband and you'll be good to go. HP doesn't properly torque those at the factory.

I have that card. I initially bought it when I had my Oculus Cv1 because my motherboard didn't have enough USB slots. I had problems with this card. Couldn't find which firmware worked best. Had my hotas and oculus and later the odyssey plugged into it. I would get random disconnects from my warthog then the flight pedals.

I would see my throttle light up then intermittently go off. At one point the sensor in the Oculus would also have issues being recognized.

So I bought this one and haven't had an issue since. I can't remember if the innatek card is still installed, most likely not since I needed the full bandwidth pcie slot.

4 Port PCI Express (PCIe)... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have that card. I initially bought it when I had my Oculus Cv1 because my motherboard didn't have enough USB slots. I had problems with this card. Couldn't find which firmware worked best. Had my hotas and oculus and later the odyssey plugged into it. I would get random disconnects from my warthog then the flight pedals.

Strange. Mine worked right out of the box, without having to even worry about firmware. 3 years later, and I'm still using it. I have an external self-powered USB hub that I plug my HOTAS into. The Inateck card I only use for HMD power. So, I have my Reverb's USB plug plugged into it, along with my 10 foot USB extender for the CV1, so I can easily switch back and forth when I want to. My 2 Oculus sensors are just plugged into standard motherboard ports. They don't require much power to run.

You found a solution that worked for you, which is never a bad thing. Can't go wrong with StarTech either. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

It is much easier to bitching on Reverb and returns it just after unboxing. thumbup.gif

That's not what he's doing. It just took a few posts back and forth to get on the same page as far as troubleshooting goes. He ended up determining that he has a seized screw on one of the earpieces that is causing his audio issue, so the return he's doing is going to take care of that issue. Something that also seems really easy to do is to make fun of people having problems, without ever doing anything to try to help them. :music_whistling:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

That's not what he's doing. It just took a few posts back and forth to get on the same page as far as troubleshooting goes. He ended up determining that he has a seized screw on one of the earpieces that is causing his audio issue, so the return he's doing is going to take care of that issue. Something that also seems really easy to do is to make fun of people having problems, without ever doing anything to try to help them. :music_whistling:

I was just sarcastic and most to those who do exactly what I was describing.

How else to comment people who didn't invest proper effort to tune up new product but put all the blame to it for their own fail misleading others.

Can confirm that Reverb will work on a USB type C port using these connectors...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MYPX7Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, the PSU powered PCIe card with the USB type C connector I bought to provide this service does not work because it has shitty ASmedia drivers that WMR will not run on, and despite many strenuous efforts, Windows will not allow me to change these crap drivers.

Luckily my motherboard has a type C port.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I was just sarcastic and most to those who do exactly what I was describing.

How else to comment people who didn't invest proper effort to tune up new product but put all the blame to it for their own fail misleading others.

The problem is that you do that all the time here, and I never see you offer to help anybody overcome these obstacles. Pimp was not giving up, and he wasn't whining just for the sake of whining. You would know that if you had made any attempt to help him troubleshoot his issues. I'm guessing that you're unable to offer help because you don't even have the HMD that you're making fun of other people for not being able to get it to work. The vast majority of people who complain about this or that with their HMD make posts here because they are hoping maybe someone can help them. They were all excited about a new product, spent good money on it, and they have issues. Of COURSE they're going to be upset! But, instead of choosing to help, you go right to ridiculing people for not being able to make something work that you, yourself don't even have. That's my two cents on the subject. If you want to continue being a jackwagon, go right ahead and be that way. :thumbup:

This may be a ripoff but I picked this up to try for $3.99 since they have updated it for most VR headsets. I was really just looking for the Snellen Chart. I didn't have much time tonight but tried it for a few minutes and it is very clear in the Reverb. It does have results from other headsets to compare so it is an objective set of tests.

"Check your HMD with TestHMD. Compatible with Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, SteamVR headsets (Vive, VivePro), Vale Index, Microsoft Mixed Reality (Samsung Odyssey, Lenovo Explorer, HP Reverb) Know the limits of your headset!"

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

The problem is that you do that all the time here, and I never see you offer to help anybody overcome these obstacles. Pimp was not giving up, and he wasn't whining just for the sake of whining. You would know that if you had made any attempt to help him troubleshoot his issues. I'm guessing that you're unable to offer help because you don't even have the HMD that you're making fun of other people for not being able to get it to work. The vast majority of people who complain about this or that with their HMD make posts here because they are hoping maybe someone can help them. They were all excited about a new product, spent good money on it, and they have issues. Of COURSE they're going to be upset! But, instead of choosing to help, you go right to ridiculing people for not being able to make something work that you, yourself don't even have. That's my two cents on the subject. If you want to continue being a jackwagon, go right ahead and be that way. thumbup.gif

You didn't read my posts carefully obviously. It is just as opposite. I believe in Reverb and encouraging people to do their best to test it properly and invest some time to tweak it out. If someone has problem with Reverb and are willing to find a solution should read this thread from page 1 and then will see that I'm constructive suggest some solutions diagnostic source of the possible problems from the beginning. All of these problems are in the end logical and solvable with little additional effort. But with this attitude where we just trying to put all the blame to "stupid HP Reverb".

Look at Secoda and some other who manage to deal with most of the problems and they are satisfied with Reverb and all these guys should be a role model and prove how it is possible to get such results they claim they have and was logic according to Reverbs specs.

And please next time before accusing me of something that is not standing and insulting me directly read carefully what I'm saying and think about it twice before jumping out. In the end, I didn't say anything about Pep or all those who are trying to solve the problem and you, I think all the time and still does how you are a positive and constructive guy in all of this.

So my replacement Reverb came in today from BLT ....haven't hooked it up yet but there is a clip in the box for the connector(old didn't have that) ....so it seems this one was either sent from factory with it ( meaning second round after issues).......or they just sent clips to throw in the old box...The connector looks the same cable could be thinner? I can't remember but I though my other cable was stiffer...could be wrong about that.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

So my replacement Reverb came in today from BLT ....haven't hooked it up yet but there is a clip in the box for the connector(old didn't have that) ....so it seems this one was either sent from factory with it ( meaning second round after issues).......or they just sent clips to throw in the old box...The connector looks the same cable could be thinner? I can't remember but I though my other cable was stiffer...could be wrong about that.

I'm getting my second Reverb from BLT Wednesday. So we'll see if I get it too.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I had a surprise call from HP Support (Omen group) today who was checking on whether I had received my refund on the first Reverb Pro. I actually had received it about two weeks ago or about five days after they received my return.

I let him know I had a Standard Reverb that I was using from Best Buy (with a 45 day return) but would likely return it for a revised unit when they were available.

He surprised my by suggesting there might be a V2 Reverb coming out with all of the fixes as opposed to just a replacement cable and very soon. That makes me think there may have been an issue(s) besides just the cable or maybe replacing part of the cable isn't enough.

He wouldn't commit to a V2 being official yet versus just sending replacement parts. He said he would call me again when they were shipping since I still want a replacement. Despite the new product release problems they have been very responsive to me at least with good customer service.

Just got mine...

10 second review... Coming from a rift CV1

I'm on 1903 no idea if I have the clarity fix or not (not enumerated separately)

Clarity. ZOMFG holy shit, its almost like I'm looking at 1080p monitor from like 3 ft away

Performance. I literally installed it, turned on steamVR/windows MR and booted DCS...

WITH MY OLD CV1 settings (PD1.8) it ran fine, smooth no issues. and looked AHMAZING.

Turned it down to like 1.2, seemed a bit smoother in terms of frames, but deffinately I could see more jaggies (fence/shadows)

First Spin landed a harrier on the tarawa, I could read everything on the MPCD's.

L39 same story, low level flight with trees looked quite good.

Gaz... Well... the text is really ****ing small, so no. Crazy easy to judge distance though even easier than with the CV1 (I attribute that to better clarity)

So.

Impressions

SDE. Mostly non-existent, yes if you look for it its there, but you really have to look for it, and its really "fine grained"

Color. Definitely more washed out compared to rift. But I turned down the gamma from 1.8 to like 1.4 and it got way better.

Chromatic aberration. maybe related to ipd or looking off-center

Sweet spot. So text is super clear in the center but glancing around you can see it get worse/fuzzy.

Performance. Like I said, it works at 1.8 PD.

Issues.

Yeah, earphones are flimsy as ****.

Nosepiece blocks out all light (removable)

Also, coming from a rift it seems like FOV might be less, and it feels like I'm wearing a scuba mask more.

Finally, I "lost the mouse" a few times, this is a known WMR issue, I might try to solve it by full screening or something like that.

more to come...

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I had a surprise call from HP Support (Omen group) today who was checking on whether I had received my refund on the first Reverb Pro. I actually had received it about two weeks ago or about five days after they received my return.

I let him know I had a Standard Reverb that I was using from Best Buy (with a 45 day return) but would likely return it for a revised unit when they were available.

He surprised my by suggesting there might be a V2 Reverb coming out with all of the fixes as opposed to just a replacement cable and very soon. That makes me think there may have been an issue(s) besides just the cable or maybe replacing part of the cable isn't enough.

He wouldn't commit to a V2 being official yet versus just sending replacement parts. He said he would call me again when they were shipping since I still want a replacement. Despite the new product release problems they have been very responsive to me at least with good customer service.

I really hope they had enough time to revise a V2 if there were other issues besides the cables keeping a solid connection. If he was adamant enough to mention a second version, that most likely means there will be. But in that case what do they do for the existing ones they already sold? I'd certainly want the second model if I received one with clips in the box for the cables.

Wouldn't a recall work better in this situation? They probably don't have enough stock on hand to do that at this point in time, is my guess.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I took it to mean a total recall/replacement was possible but I wouldn't count on it without an official announcement. HP does seem solidly behind the product so a recall would be easier than trying to contact every owner through the retailers and distributors. Valve basically did that on the Index controllers and I think it would help confidence in the Reverb.

I really hope they had enough time to revise a V2 if there were other issues besides the cables keeping a solid connection. If he was adamant enough to mention a second version, that most likely means there will be. But in that case what do they do for the existing ones they already sold? I'd certainly want the second model if I received one with clips in the box for the cables.

Wouldn't a recall work better in this situation? They probably don't have enough stock on hand to do that at this point in time, is my guess.

I just got the HP Reverb. I've had an Oculus Rift CV1 as well as the Rift S now, so I am much more familiar with the Oculus software. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to any particular settings I need to adjust in Steam VR, Windows, or DCS?

I used Steam VR to set the "resolution percent" to 188% to ensure the full resolution was used. PD is set in DCS to 1.5. I have not adjusted an IPD anywhere, mine is right at 63-64 mm. Refresh rate in Steam VR is reported as 60 Hz (I thought the Reverb was 90 Hz?).

With these settings, I am unimpressed. It's just slightly more clear than the Rift S, the refresh rate is noticeable when turning my head quickly or looking at an object off to my side, and it's not terribly comfortable.

It seems there have been some very happy people with the Reverb when it works, but I'm concerned I don't have the correct settings given my lack of familiarity with Steam VR/WMR.

EDIT: I'm running a RTX 2080Ti with a 8086k overclocked at 5.1GHz on all cores, so have not been expecting performance to be an issue at this time.

Edited by ESzczesniak

I just got the HP Reverb. I've had an Oculus Rift CV1 as well as the Rift S now, so I am much more familiar with the Oculus software. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to any particular settings I need to adjust in Steam VR, Windows, or DCS?

I used Steam VR to set the "resolution percent" to 188% to ensure the full resolution was used. PD is set in DCS to 1.5. I have not adjusted an IPD anywhere, mine is right at 63-64 mm. Refresh rate in Steam VR is reported as 60 Hz (I thought the Reverb was 90 Hz?).

With these settings, I am unimpressed. It's just slightly more clear than the Rift S, the refresh rate is noticeable when turning my head quickly or looking at an object off to my side, and it's not terribly comfortable.

It seems there have been some very happy people with the Reverb when it works, but I'm concerned I don't have the correct settings given my lack of familiarity with Steam VR/WMR.

If you're showing 188%, I"m guessing your resolution bar in SteamVR shows 1440? Then you're going to need KB4507453.

Also, you can turn down the PD in the game to 1.0.

I set my SteamVR video setting to hit 2160 resolution. Before the KB fix, the supersampling was 188% (1440 * 188%). But after the KB fix, you'll see that the SS% will go way down.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you're showing 188%, I"m guessing your resolution bar in SteamVR shows 1440? Then you're going to need KB4507453.

Also, you can turn down the PD in the game to 1.0.

I set my SteamVR video setting to hit 2160 resolution. Before the KB fix, the supersampling was 188% (1440 * 188%). But after the KB fix, you'll see that the SS% will go way down.

No, at 188%, Steam VR shows 2204 (?) x 2160. Or perhaps there's another setting in here I'm totally unaware of?

EDIT: I'm running a RTX 2080Ti with a 8086k overclocked at 5.1GHz on all cores, so have not been expecting performance to be an issue at this time.

Mostly in the same boat as you. But I'm pretty impressed with the clarity. You may not have the right KB update at a guess.

I was running 1.8PD and it ran smooth on my system. Since then I turned it down to 1.2PD and I was pulling 45-50 fps online when I turned the meter on.

In terms of WMR for steam VR, I set the DCS specific application to like 108 or 110 which got me near 2160x2160 at 100% it was slightly low.

Quick question, when looking off to one side, do you see a blue or reddish tinge on white walls that goes away if you rotate your head to center the object?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

No, at 188%, Steam VR shows 2204 (?) x 2160. Or perhaps there's another setting in here I'm totally unaware of?

Sounds like you need the KB update.

From what I read, WMR headset can be set to 60Mhz or 90Mhz.

Probably a WMR setting to check, might need a reboot.

Yes check in settings in the Mixed Reality Portal thing. I think it is under more settings and environment. If it shows 90 then the headset may be throttling back.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat