Questions From a Bewildered Beginner

Hello!

I've recently abandoned yet another grindy MMO and I will always miss the days of the first MMO, Air Warrior. Found this site and a dazzling video of a Messerschmitt 109K. Promising!

In the order flow, however, it said it was not Steam compatible. So, I'm wondering...

1. How do I buy this game in a form where I can use WWII aircraft?

2. Do I acquire WWII fighter aircraft through the game's order flow?

3. Assuming the servers are player hosted, are there any that feature high population regular air combat?

4. Does the mission editor allow server hosts to set up large scale battle scenarios with designated start times, order of battle slots that players can login and assume, and an end to the battle when one side has met the victory conditions with a scoring summary at the end?

5. Are there player piloted bombers with crew stations?

6. If the answer to 5 is, no, can the server host set up NPC piloted bombers and bomber groups in the mission editor?

Sorry....so many questions. :smilewink:

Many thanks, in advance, for any guidance you can give me. :)

You can download DCS either through steam or here in DCS store. Once you do that you need to purchase modules the same way since steam and stand alone are not conpatible. Just decide if you want to use steam or not.

3,4,5,6...yes,not sure,no,yes.

If WW2 is your thing you,ll also want to look into Normandy map and Ww2 asset pack which adds ww2 bombers and ground vehicles,etc.

Edited by cthulhu68

Just buy a module from the game's store (make an account), open DCS, go to the module manager on the top of the menu, find the plane you had just bought (or it'll have a pop-up for you) and download it.

Most popular server is Burning Skies, though I'm holding it in less regard each day, because eekz (the admin) doesn't tune or improve the missions, just adds new planes when they become available. Warbirds of Prey is looking promising, and the mission (and dot label for spotting) is infinitely better. Normandy and Assets are of course required. Its only issue currently is publicity (slowly increasing) and to my knowledge, a stats page. That's one plus I'll give to Burning Skies, they have their own website with player stats, missions wins/losses, etc.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suggest you download the free DCS world on steam and then try out the training version of the p51 that is available with the free version.

it has no weapons but it will give you an idea about how the aircraft work. and the difficulty involved even with just getting the engine started. or taxiing.

all of the controls are usable in the cockpit and you need to know what they do.

the game leans more towards study simulator than Massively multiplayer.

so even for fans of other flight games the learning curve is steep.

its more of a sandbox than a game in fact. although you can get written single player campaigns. and if you join a squadron you can do online campaigns.

there are also airquake servers where you can just fly and dogfight.

but because of the learning curve, the numbers are much lower than MMO style games.

im not trying to put you off. download the free version and see if it is for you.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Don't go steam. Updates and modules tend to be delayed from anywhere between a week and a month. Also the money you pay goes more directly to ED (and third parties), which is always a good thing.

Also don't download Stable. 95% of multiplayer activity is on OpenBeta.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, Quadg!

Actually, the first MMO was Air Warrior, a game I designed and produced for Kesmai Corporation during the 90s. A fellow named Kelton Flinn was the original designer during the late '80s. It began before commercial use of the internet and was originally featured on the GEnie network. We featured 47 different types of fighters and bombers representing all combatant nations during WWII, except the Finns in Brewster Buffalos perhaps ;)

We'd amassed quite the library of primary source flight test data over the years and our flight models were scrupulous. But NewsCorp bought us for our back end libraries. Although, in the main, it was a dogfighting game, what made it interesting was the large scale, multi-mission scenarios with up to 500 players in each mission - a big deal for the mid '90s.

To deal with learning curve matters, players could simply be gunners on B-17s. And some of the most vivid and interesting after action forum reports came from gunners, oddly enough. During our reenactment of Operation Argument - dubbed Big Week by the press at the time - one gunner put it this way, "I felt I was living an epic novel and I was one of its authors."

But, after Ultima Online was released, and EverQuest two years thereafter, the term, MMO, became defined as something other than massively multiplayer. EA bought and promptly closed Kesmai and era of simulation MMOs ended with the notable exception of Eve Online.

If this simulation is scrupulous I won't mind. I've owned a variety of venerable conventional gear aircraft over the years and made it a personal policy to never own an airplane younger than I am :smilewink:

Of course, it's one thing to do a runup and mag check and cycle the prop on an actual machine and quite another to do all that in a computer sim. Plus ground handling and countering left turning tendencies in an airplane is something you feel in your body rather than through visual cues.

Does VR help with that? And, if so, which VR equipment do you recommend? I moved away from box computers long ago and currently have an Alienware 17/R5 I run overclocked at 4.8 for games. It has an Nvidia 1080 GTX rather than the 1080Ti you find in the box computers. Is that enough to run VR?

Edited by Blue_Baron

Don't go steam. Updates and modules tend to be delayed from anywhere between a week and a month. Also the money you pay goes more directly to ED (and third parties), which is always a good thing.

Also don't download Stable. 95% of multiplayer activity is on OpenBeta.

Hey Zach!

I downloaded something called DCS World 2.5 just now.

I take it that was the *wrong* version to get? :(

Hey Zach!

I downloaded something called DCS World 2.5 just now.

I take it that was the *wrong* version to get? :(

You can install whichever and switch between them any time.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

sounds like you will fit in here quite well :)

here is a chucks guide for the p51 to get you going. (its the full version but you can use it for the TF51 that is free.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3Rmg4X2lxRXJadDg/view

chuck has many good guides for beginners

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

you can convert the 2.5 version to the open beta with a command line rather than download it all again

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

as to VR your rig will work with the rift s but there are many threads on here on the subject.

I have not flown in 2d since I got the rift CV-1 over 2 years ago.

if you are looking for a real challenge check out one of the helicopters in VR.

just the challenge my midlife crisis was looking for :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Noooooooooooooooo.....not helicopters, Quadg.....Nooooooooo :helpsmilie: :lol:

Oh, so I could have saved that extra 50 GB of SSD space...well....perhaps I should start over with all that :hehe:

Many thanks for the links...many thanks one and all for your MASSIVE amounts of help to this newbee!

The online portion of WW2 DCS is pretty barren with one single symmetrical mission taking place 24/7. It's basically horrible. If you are getting into DCS for massive online air combat in old aircraft you are going to be incredibly disappointed.

The online portion of WW2 DCS is pretty barren with one single symmetrical mission taking place 24/7. It's basically horrible. If you are getting into DCS for massive online air combat in old aircraft you are going to be incredibly disappointed.

So, what you're saying is, WWII is not an active, happening thing in the DCS world?

If so, then you've just saved me a lot of time and money :(

He's referring to Burning Skies...I think. While the mission is very basic, it is by no means barren. There are often 20 people online, and on the occasional weekend 40.

WoP is still getting its footing, but that by far has the best missions.

The aircraft are by no means a waste of money, if you pick the one that suits you, of course. Do keep in mind however that creating such an in-depth simulation (especially that each module is essentially it's own simulation, obeying it's own laws, rather than that set by an broad simulation environment) takes lots of time and effort, and the WWII section of the ED team isn't actually that big.

Unfortunately, you just missed a very L-O-N-G 50% sale, and the next one probably won't come around until fall or Christmas.

As mentioned above, before buying something, it would be best you download DCS and get used to the TF-51 Mustang, one of the two free aircraft that come with DCS. It will show you what you will expect from DCS aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Updates" are not delayed. Steam is in sync with the Stand-alone version in that regard. As a result, Steam and Stand-alone versions can always join the same multiplayer servers, for instance.

However, the other points are correct though (module releases are a bit delayed and some of the money goes to Steam, not ED).

The Steam version itself is fine though. I use it and have never had problems with it. Steam itself has some other advantages (such as free, integrated screenshot hosting, automatic download tools, chat, integration with your other sims/games, etc).

Yes, Zach, I noticed last night that I missed the sale....missed it by a fraction of a time zone :(

And, yeah, I'm aware of how difficult a detailed simulation is to create, just in the performance of the aircraft....

B109_00K_zpsccv5lvfp.gifB109_10K_zps0arvcdjq.gifB109_20K_zpswxld0alw.gifB109_30K_zpsbff8qp3z.gif

Some old files from yesteryear.....for probably the most outstanding pure dogfighting aircraft of World War II: the Messerschmitt 109F4. Historically unimportant as dogfighting, as we think of it, was not pertinent to the actual war. But for online gaming :joystick: ...sorry....I digress

And players can set up their own servers, correct?

"Updates" are not delayed. Steam is in sync with the Stand-alone version in that regard. As a result, Steam and Stand-alone versions can always join the same multiplayer servers, for instance.

However, the other points are correct though (module releases are a bit delayed and some of the money goes to Steam, not ED).

The Steam version itself is fine though. I use it and have never had problems with it. Steam itself has some other advantages (such as free, integrated screenshot hosting, automatic download tools, chat, integration with your other sims/games, etc).

Then why do the WWII aircraft all say they're not compatible with Steam? Well...they don't say anything...if you imagine aircraft are talking to you then you've another set of problems to deal with....

Then why do the WWII aircraft all say they're not compatible with Steam?

What that means is that an aircraft bought on the Stand-alone store page cannot be used in the Steam version.

In other words, if you want to use Steam, download the Steam version of DCS, and only buy your modules through Steam.

If you want to use the Stand-alone version of DCS, download it from the DCS website and only buy modules from the DCS web store.

You can't mix your sources of purchase... that's all.

However, if you have the Steam version of DCS, you can still join the same MP servers as a person who is using the Stand-alone version (and vice versa).

Hopefully that is a little clearer (but I totally agree with you... it is utterly bewildering).

There are several different WWII servers out there. As already mentioned, Burning Skies is one of the most active, but resolves MOSTLY around dogfighting. They do not use strictly period equipment (means you do not need to purchase anything extra, but have more modern ground units to deal with).

I help out with the Warbirds of Prey WWII server. We use the Normandy map and WWII assets( both must be purchased, can sometimes get a deal buying both together). We focus the environment more on the missions then the dog fight, though that is still quite possible. It is just that there is more to do. We do use more AI then almost any other WWII server so the environment seems more "active".

The WWII community is growing. We need more people to just participate instead of just saying it is dead and then not doing anything about it. There is plenty of fun to be had with the limited resources we have to work with, and it is only going to grow from here.

Hope to see you in the virtual skies!

Old Air Warrior II junkie

The WWII community is growing. We need more people to just participate instead of just saying it is dead and then not doing anything about it. There is plenty of fun to be had with the limited resources we have to work with, and it is only going to grow from here.

Well put

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What that means is that an aircraft bought on the Stand-alone store page cannot be used in the Steam version.

In other words, if you want to use Steam, download the Steam version of DCS, and only buy your modules through Steam.

If you want to use the Stand-alone version of DCS, download it from the DCS website and only buy modules from the DCS web store.

You can't mix your sources of purchase... that's all.

However, if you have the Steam version of DCS, you can still join the same MP servers as a person who is using the Stand-alone version (and vice versa).

Hopefully that is a little clearer (but I totally agree with you... it is utterly bewildering).

this info is outdated.

all purchases on steam can be moved to standalone.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#1510447

so it is only the steam version that cannot import licenses from other vendors.

the standalone version can import licenses from steam.

link your steam account using the FAQ above

One more for the "Don't use Steam for DCS" crowd.

Don't get me wrong... I have a huge steam game collection. I love the platform.

But for DCS just stick with the regular webshop stuff, and I certainly recommend using the "Open Beta" version.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)