Improved Spotting

gavagai

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~

But I'm talking about fighters going completely invisible while having eyes on. ~ While it might be the case IRL, I'm sitting at a monitor, already hampered by that fact.

I guess there can never be a state in DCS where both realism and spotting comfort can be satisfied equally.

I guess, you've answered you're own argument... yes it does happen in real life.

Separate to that is the hardware/ settings/ FoV issue - and no matter what occurs, no-one is ever going to be completely happy. The "air quakers" (just feed the rush of shootin' stuff down) aren't going to be happy with the "realistics" (just feed the rush of hunting stuff out) settings and visa versa. Its the age old age old, and has been on every forum going ever since when

• Like 1

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Yes,

but it is my firm belief that a decent compromise can be achieved. I second that which Aginor said in his post above.

ED is on the right way, though there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I (believe it or not) do agree with a "decent compromise... the "compromise" (effective for all) is the hard part though - and in that, not everone will be pleased... there in, the whinges/ wants continues

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Its the age old age old, and has been on every forum going ever since when

So far as I know, no.

Maybe you're confusing the topic with something else again, like the range at which aircraft should become visible.

What we're discussing here is unique to DCS.

• Like 1

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There was a problem with certain objects missing LOD levels in the old DCSW, but I haven't noticed that anymore in v1.5.3. Plus the visibility seems fine as is, too; nothing in visual range is impossible to see, but it can be hard to see regardless - and that, IMO, is just right. So no impostors for me when I'm hosting, thanks...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Just the fact that they have introduce the model visibility is because there is something wrong with the vis. They try to fix it, it not working as for now but at least they doing something, let's hope they come up with something better

And that sums up all 30+ pages.:book:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I don't have anything against the idea of the imposters. But they're a game aid similar to icons and I think it's impossible given the range of hardware and preferences that any "compromise" setting is achievable.

I personally have decided on setting it Off because:

1. The servers I choose to play on have it set that way.

2. No other sim I play has anything similar.

Basically I don't want to condition myself to having an aid like this. It would only hurt me when playing online or on other flight sims.

But that's my own choice.

I do hope the imposter system doesn't preclude ED from working on actual graphics improvements to help with the issue. That's more important that just making objects bigger.

From the accounts in this thread it sounds like players have trouble with visibility at ranges where the imposters aren't even coming into use. So this system isn't helping enough.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5