Buying modules before I can run DCS

mekanopsis

I'd like to take advantage of the sale to grab a few modules and the PG terrain, but I'm in the process of upgrading and my hardware isn't currently capable of running DCS 2.5 or even 1.5. Will I be safe to buy now and activate the modules after a time period? Is there a time limit?

Also, can anyone point me to an ELI5 on the merits of buying on Steam vs buying on the ED E-Shop?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the actual response to your question.

For the older modules, you get a key code in the DCS user profile as well as per email which you can use to activate the module at any time, without time limit. For newer modules there is another system which doesn't use the keys anymore. I'm not sure how that works in this respect but I assume it won't be an issue.

But another solution for your problem would be to just install DCS. Even though you can't run the actual simulation (get in the aircraft), you can probably install it and activate the modules. When your new computer is ready you can deactivate the modules on the old computer and activate them again on the new computer.

This procedure should not cost you an activation. But even if it does cost you an activation, you have 10 of them and the replenish themselves, so it's not a problem.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3