If VPS and dedicated server cost the same...

I want to start a DCS server, and it ain't gonna be at the house. BTDT with my mining operation not long ago, which I "ran" remotely for a while. It wasn't pretty on several levels.

So. There's an outfit in town that'll host my old Dell workstation for a hundred bucks a month.

Here's my specs: E5-2643 (3.3Ghz), 16Gb RAM, 120 Gb SSD's in Raid0, Win7, choice of GPU.

I can get a VPS for a lot less than that, but with half the RAM, no GPU, no windows, and I think you have to pay extra to get 3+Ghz cores (yes? no?)

Leaning toward racking up my own box. I like the CPU, kinda think that SSD raid might be cool. And I'm assuming the extra RAM and GPU will help, although maybe I shouldn't assume that.

Note the plan is to specialize in VR, and nobody has enough compute power for that, so I'm figuring Nevada map and keeping a lid on the number of AI objects running around, if that matters...

I'm willing to spend the bucks to get the experience I and like-minded players are looking for. Which I think calls for high-speed, low-drag all around.

Thoughts?

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I want to start a DCS server, and it ain't gonna be at the house. BTDT with my mining operation not long ago, which I "ran" remotely for a while. It wasn't pretty on several levels.

So. There's an outfit in town that'll host my old Dell workstation for a hundred bucks a month.

Here's my specs: E5-2643 (3.3Ghz), 16Gb RAM, 120 Gb SSD's in Raid0, Win7, choice of GPU.

I can get a VPS for a lot less than that, but with half the RAM, no GPU, no windows, and I think you have to pay extra to get 3+Ghz cores (yes? no?)

Leaning toward racking up my own box. I like the CPU, kinda think that SSD raid might be cool. And I'm assuming the extra RAM and GPU will help, although maybe I shouldn't assume that.

Note the plan is to specialize in VR, and nobody has enough compute power for that, so I'm figuring Nevada map and keeping a lid on the number of AI objects running around, if that matters...

I'm willing to spend the bucks to get the experience I and like-minded players are looking for. Which I think calls for high-speed, low-drag all around.

Thoughts?

if you have to spend 100 USD for month, I suggest you to rent a Dedicated Game Server. Personal I suggest OVH for European based server, they also have other datacenter, but I never tested them personally.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Ah thanks. Yeah OVH has great specs.

I don't think I want to dig in my heels on gpu support, I'm assuming the dedicated DCS server that's in development won't need that...

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Ah thanks. Yeah OVH has great specs.

I don't think I want to dig in my heels on gpu support, I'm assuming the dedicated DCS server that's in development won't need that...

Even now, without Dedicated Build, you can run a DCS Server smooth without dedicated GPU. Integrated GPU on CPU it's more than enough to run DCS ( render disabled )

I've personally tested on my self hosted server, installing a GTX1060 6GB don't give a performance boost at all, actually I've removed it in fact! It's give just little bit of benefits for the dedicated ram, but it's marginal.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!