DCS: Fw 190A-8 Discussion

NineLine

• ED Team

Discuss this upcoming module here!

Our next warbird coming to DCS World will be the Focke-Wulf 190 A-8 Würger (Strike) of the German Luftwaffe. Designed by Kurt Tank in the 1930s, the Fw 190 was a single seat German fighter powered by a powerful BMW 801 radial engine. When first deployed, it proved largely superior to its main rival: the Spitfire Mk.V. This, in turn, led to the development of the Spitfire Mk.IX. We look forward to some great online dogfights between the Fw 190 A-8 and the Spitfire Mk.IX!

Capable of both aerial and ground attack missions, the A-8 model entered production in February 1944 and included thicker armor and improved engine design. We see the “Butcher Bird” as a great addition to the stable of DCS World War II aircraft and will be a perfect fit for the Normandy map!

2018-10-04-Fw-190-A-8-cockpit-WIP-1.thumb.jpg.d4d9681050da92fd2c7606882f834ffa.jpg

2018-10-04-Fw-190-A-8-cockpit-WIP-2.thumb.jpg.1af83cad30c9575e1c533e95c5ddbdac.jpg

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about the way the stick is handled in terms of getting it out of safety into firing mode. I really like the way how it's done in the DCS Bf-109, compared to how it's done in the DCS Fw-190 Dora.

- In the 109 you see the trigger flipped down into firing position, and it stays there until you flip it up into safety.

- In the Dora, you only see the trigger being animated in the firing position while firing, and it immediately goes back into the safety position thereafter.

So - which one will it be? I really hope it will be how it's done in the 109...

(Heck, it would be super nice if the Dora would get an upgrade to mimic that exact 109 behavior; I really don't understand how this is different between these two modules to begin with, considering that they use a similar KG (Knueppelgriff)). In fact, it would be nice to see all three using the same style of animation/functionality for the sake of consistency.

EDIT: Just noticed - shouldn't Würger translate to "Shrike", rather than "Strike"?

Edited by rrohde
Additional comment.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Version of the A8 please?

Basic A8

A8-R2 with outer 30mm cannons

A8-R4 with GMI injection

A8-R8 with extra armour ( sturmbocke )

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

The A-8?

In the newsletter, it was mentioned that there is an upcoming release of the 190-A8.

Will this be an update to the D-9 or a seperate purchase?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I have question about engine and external stores..:smilewink:

Will we get A-8 with upgraded engine with MP 1,58 and 1,65ATA (standard from July 44) or it will be plane from starting production with 1,42ATA for both supercharger`s stages?

Will get plane external fuel tank, 250kg and 500kg bombs?

Thanks for answer!

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Thanks Silver, so 4x 20mm cannons on the wings, 2x 13mm machine guns on the nose and ventral pylon for extra fuel tank, or 250SC-500SC bomb.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Pretty good move by ED, and a very welcome addition to the WWII planeset. Yeah! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Not only that, but Jug "may" make it in 2019, and Fw190A is coming next. I guess we won't wait a lot to get it, that's even better than the (already known) news itself :pilotfly:.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Nice surprise! I love those radial butcher birds. Question: Why is the dash white? Placeholder? I have never seen that before....

same question, only seen some with darker dashes. wip i assume

looking forward to this one and ofcourse the others comin along - just made my day xD

My guess is screenies are still in the model viewer so the lighting combined with WIP textures makes it look a bit strange.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Excellent news regarding the FW 190 A-8.

I am really looking forward to this one, for several reasons.

1. Radial engine. Rugged, characteristic, and a new challenge in engine management. However, it is the audio-possibilities that have me excited. The engine sounds will make-or-break this module, but I have every confidence that ED will get this right. If you've heard what ED did for the Yak 52, you'll know what I'm talking about.

2. Earlier-version of the FW 190. Although I love the performance of the D-9, the A-8 is a far better match for the Spitfire Mk.IX that we have in DCS. It was already in service in mid-1944, so it will be excellent for Normandy missions and also for some pre-D-day missions too. For those of us looking for better historical matches, the A-8 is a must for the Normandy era.

3. Short-nosed prevalence. As a short-nosed FW, it is similar in appearance and performance to all the other short-nosed FW variants. Whether an F-8 in Italy or an A-6 in Finland, A-4/T in Libya or A-5 on the Eastern Front, the A-8 is a much better stand-in for these than the D-9 is. I hope we get a good selection of paint-schemes for it!

4. Short-nosed appearance. Subjective, I know, but on a personal level, I prefer the look of the A-series to the D-series. :-)

I am also curious about what to expect regarding the loadout.

As SilverDragon reported from the Russian Forum.

Версия пока будет базовая а8, без всяких пока там R модификаций. Это четыре 20 мм пушки и два 13 мм пулемета. Штатный пилон под фюзеляжем.
The last bit states there'll be a centre-line pylon under the fuselage. But what will be on it?

4xSC50? SC250? SD2-butterfly-bombs? Drop-tank? SC500? Torpedo?!

The only ordnance on an A-8 I've found so far are Wurfgranate 21cm rockets under the wings. I wonder if we'll get those at all?

If I may ask:

The A-8 is a Focke-Wulf 190, just like the D-9 is a Focke-Wulf 190, right? Just different versions?

How different will the DCS's A-8 be from the D-9?

From what I understand, the real life version of the D-9 is longer by 4 feet, has the same wingspan and wing area, is almost 300 lbs heavier when empty but can only take off with about 130 lbs less. While the D-9 has an inverted V-12 compared to the A-8's radial engine, when boosted, the D-9 develops over 2,000 horsepower compared to 1,600 from the A-8's BMW engine.

The Dora can do 425 mph versus 410 mph, can fly about the same distance but can fly 1,000 feet higher, as well as climb almost 350 feet per minute faster. The A-8 has a 1.7 hp/lb wing loading advantage meaning it might turn a bit better when pulling hard, but the Dora has about the same power/mass rating (0.18-0.22 hp/lb)

They both have the MG 131 machine gun but the A-8 has four versus Dora's two 20 mm cannons.

The Dora does carry a 1,000 lb bomb.

So, again, if I may ask, why will the A-8 be a separate purchase?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Very, very different. D9 is a high altitude liquid cooled inline engine. The A8 is a low to mid altitude air cooled radial.

They will be separate purchases because they're different aircraft. They are not minor variations of the same thing achieved with some minor changes. And because they have bills to pay and want to.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If I may ask:

The A-8 is a Focke-Wulf 190, just like the D-9 is a Focke-Wulf 190, right? Just different versions?

How different will the DCS's A-8 be from the D-9?

From what I understand, the real life version of the D-9 is longer by 4 feet, has the same wingspan and wing area, is almost 300 lbs heavier when empty but can only take off with about 130 lbs less. While the D-9 has an inverted V-12 compared to the A-8's radial engine, when boosted, the D-9 develops over 2,000 horsepower compared to 1,600 from the A-8's BMW engine.

The Dora can do 425 mph versus 410 mph, can fly about the same distance but can fly 1,000 feet higher, as well as climb almost 350 feet per minute faster. The A-8 has a 1.7 hp/lb wing loading advantage meaning it might turn a bit better when pulling hard, but the Dora has about the same power/mass rating (0.18-0.22 hp/lb)

They both have the MG 131 machine gun but the A-8 has four versus Dora's two 20 mm cannons.

The Dora does carry a 1,000 lb bomb.

So, again, if I may ask, why will the A-8 be a separate purchase?

Lets assume you have a HONDA ACCORD in your garage would it make sense you get the HONDA CIVIC for free? no it does not so its a seperate vehicle and the answer to your question :smilewink:.

g8PjVMw.png

They have to do the work all over again for this aircraft for everything I imagine, flight model, engine model, cockpit model, external model....

And sounds.

That radial engine in the A-8 will need totally different sound recordings and audio editing, compared to the existing inline engine in the D-9.