Downloading installation files

Hate to have to bother about this, but I'm pretty well fed up after wasting 6 hours trying to get this downloaded. Before I start, I cannot use bittorrent from my current network.

When attempting to download the .bin files from FTP, they download at ~150-200kbps, but never get to the point of finishing. Either they time out or start asking for a username and password. (Which I would REALLY like ED to clear up on the downloads page if it's going to interrupt paying customers every time I purchase an ED product.) This problem keeps me from leaving the download running OR using a download manager.

When attempting to download the .bin files via HTTP, I'm notified that the files don't exist.

In 6 hours of time wasted on this runaround, I've managed to get only the 3rd bin file downloaded. Just a little ticked that I've spent good money on download problems I generally expect to avoid.

Suggestions or the [darn] FTP info would be much appreciated.

The username and pw thingy means that the FTP is overloaded and doesn't allow more connections - sorry. It seems that there's still a lot of people downloading, that's the reason for the troubles.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Still?? Geez. Well, thanks Sobek.

Edit: the note about the FTP login dialog would be a nice thing to put on the download page for the next person who is confused by it!

Edited by aaron886

Sobek, I am skeptical that you are correct.

I have been able to download all files without any problems.

But WHENEVER I try to download a file the second time (I had a corruption, and was looking for a faster mirror on the big ones), I get the user and password prompt. There's seems to be a one D/L per person DRM rule on the website.

If memory serves, Sobek is correct, that is the way most anonymous FTP acts when the server limit is reached.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There's seems to be a one D/L per person

It's just some kind of bandwidth limitation. You can only be downloading so much at any time, the servers can't keep up with a big crowd of people downloading at once, unfortunately.

I was able to run 2 downloads at a time when things were going my way. If it got real busy, my download would cut off. I experimented with a few download managers until finding one that allowed me to resume files, then left it overnight.

There's seems to be a one D/L per person DRM rule on the website.

There is no such restriction. You don't even need to have made a purchase or even be logged in to download.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Hate to have to bother about this, but I'm pretty well fed up after wasting 6 hours trying to get this downloaded. Before I start, I cannot use bittorrent from my current network.

When attempting to download the .bin files from FTP, they download at ~150-200kbps, but never get to the point of finishing. Either they time out or start asking for a username and password. (Which I would REALLY like ED to clear up on the downloads page if it's going to interrupt paying customers every time I purchase an ED product.) This problem keeps me from leaving the download running OR using a download manager.

When attempting to download the .bin files via HTTP, I'm notified that the files don't exist.

In 6 hours of time wasted on this runaround, I've managed to get only the 3rd bin file downloaded. Just a little ticked that I've spent good money on download problems I generally expect to avoid.

Suggestions or the [darn] FTP info would be much appreciated.

Used to be here in New York State, a year ago, the Russian Http: server was the best for me, but still took an hour for each of the 2 large downloads using DSL at about 4GB/s.

The last 2 times I downloaded online from the DCS online source was a USA server somewhere. Each module took 90 minutes.

A year ago it was all new to me. I save my downloads in "My Documents" folders consecutively numbered and appropriately identified and backed up on a large thumb drive.

You just hope no glitches, power outages or maintenance updates happen. My best download time is about 2AM to 7AM NY time. Daytime businesses slow down the Internet and kids out of school playing Internet games.

I would think if a new product is popular, and everybody is downloading it that day, would slow down the DCS download server.

Edited by ErichVon

According to my observations, these rules seem to apply to the DCS FTP servers;

- May have a bandwidth / or max number of concurrent users threshold - after that it blocks new requests until enough bandwidth / connections are free.

Result = Username & Password prompt.

- May limit to 1-2 concurrent connection for 1 PC. - after that it blocks new requests until your previous D/L is complete and connection is freed. Result may be; Username & Password prompt, or 'infinite wait'.

- There's no limit on how many times you D/L the material from ED.

So if you get "username & password" either wait for your own DCS D/L to complete before queuing the next.

Or wait a bit - until someone else free up bandwidth / connections to the servers.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning