Helicopter flies like a crab

Just started to fly Mi-8 after a couple of months hiatus. Damn Elite Dangerous :mad:

Anyway, I noticed that Mi-8 flies a bit like a crab. I mean, it goes to the desired heading but nose is slightly pointed +5 to +10 degrees off the coarse. Illustration photo attached.

eVJ79Js.jpg

Yes, the heading autopilot is on and feet not touching the pedals during flight. The axis curve settings is at 20. Sorry at work so no screenshot.

anyone faced it? Any idea what can be happening?

This space is available for your advertisement

You are using too much / too little collective. Look at your attitude indicator, you'll see the ball is on one side, change collective until it is centered. Cruise speed should be around 250kph.

You center the ball using the pedals, not the collective. We use the saying step on the ball. If the ball is to the right, step on the right pedal. If it was a matter of too much or too little collective you would be restricted on airspeeds based on winds, and that is crazy. Your aircraft is pointing to the side because you are crabbed into the wind.

HHC, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

You center the ball using the pedals, not the collective. We use the saying step on the ball. If the ball is to the right, step on the right pedal. If it was a matter of too much or too little collective you would be restricted on airspeeds based on winds, and that is crazy. Your aircraft is pointing to the side because you are crabbed into the wind.

Sure, but you can make it not crab without that way too. If have a rubbish rudder system like mine its easier to balance it with the collective.

Sure, but you can make it not crab without that way too. If have a rubbish rudder system like mine its easier to balance it with the collective.

You shouldn't be trying to make the aircraft not crab. You want to fly in trim, if that means you have to crab and fly looking out the side window then that's ok. Just keep the ball in the middle.

hz71.jpg

HHC, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

You shouldn't be trying to make the aircraft not crab. You want to fly in trim, if that means you have to crab and fly looking out the side window then that's ok. Just keep the ball in the middle.

hz71.jpg

Oh I see what you mean. Yes. It will crab due to wind in that way. What I meant was, you can get the ball in the middle, in the Mi8, by lowering/raising the collective (within reason) then trimming. I do this all the time.

I get what both Lemeon, and Gunfighter6 are saying. I too keep the ball centered while in flight. However, when the aircraft is off center and the ball is perfectly centered, it feels counter intuitive and unnatural and my natural instinct is to straighten it out. So, the easiest way for me to do that is to use the collective to change the torque.

So what Gunfighter is saying is that the "crabbing" is just a simple fact of flying and so long as the ball is centered, all is well no matter how awkward it may seem?

Indeed as AlphaOneSix is saying.

If you haven't noticed you can fly with course and heading identical almost regardless of wind, but then you need to lean the aircraft into the wind to counteract drifting. You won't be balanced; the ball off center and IRL it's rather uncomfortable.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Oh I see what you mean. Yes. It will crab due to wind in that way. What I meant was, you can get the ball in the middle, in the Mi8, by lowering/raising the collective (within reason) then trimming. I do this all the time.

But that affects the speed, sometimes timming or security is mandatory. Use pedals

I have pedals so I use those to center the ball, then adjust course or heading with roll.

As for using the collective to reach trimmed flight, this works really well in the Huey at about 95 indicated. The Mi-8 has a much smaller vertical stab so it's a bit harder.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Also use the roll channel adjustments to roll into the wind slightly, epecially when your using the heading autopilot it will still move the course unless some roll is dialled in

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As the other guys say, Perhaps you are also flying too fast, over 250. To reach these speeds the collective needs to be right up and you need large amounts of pedal to counter the torque from the main rotor.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.