A-4 Community Mod - Trim Fix

Hello all, I was having some issues with the trim being too drastic and making it hard to get a perfectly level flight. Even so, this fix isn't perfect...but you can place this file in your DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\A-4E-C\Cockpit\Scripts\Systems directory to improve it.

trim.lua

Nice to see someone else contributing fixes while the team takes a break. I just fixed the gunpod muzzle position. Will probably post it later today.

By the way. You can just engage AFCS without HEADING SEL and ALT. It becomes a fly-by-wire style system. When you let go of the stick you get attitude hold and heading hold if you have a bank angle less than 5 degrees.

Nice to see someone else contributing fixes while the team takes a break. I just fixed the gunpod muzzle position. Will probably post it later today.

By the way. You can just engage AFCS without HEADING SEL and ALT. It becomes a fly-by-wire style system. When you let go of the stick you get attitude hold and heading hold if you have a bank angle less than 5 degrees.

Nice!

I'm working on the damage model now...something about being able to take 6 SA-2's is not good :-)

I just hope they take these fixes and ease their workload.If you wanna work together on a "community fix" of some of these things, I'd be happy to work with ya.

Nice!

I'm working on the damage model now...something about being able to take 6 SA-2's is not good :-)

I just hope they take these fixes and ease their workload.If you wanna work together on a "community fix" of some of these things, I'd be happy to work with ya.

That sounds amazing. Yea. It would be awesome if we could help the team to make their life easier in what little way we can. I actually dropped a message to Merker to see what are the thoughts of the team. Having a git repo would be awesome for bug tracking and tracking code changes.

I’m not sure how much time I have to fix bugs (but I really want to try and fix the bug with the AWE-1 and sidewinders) since I’m also writing my own manual for the A-4E. The code fixes come from checking the code against the A-4E NATOPS manual while writing my guide.

That sounds amazing. Yea. It would be awesome if we could help the team to make their life easier in what little way we can. I actually dropped a message to Merker to see what are the thoughts of the team. Having a git repo would be awesome for bug tracking and tracking code changes.

I’m not sure how much time I have to fix bugs (but I really want to try and fix the bug with the AWE-1 and sidewinders) since I’m also writing my own manual for the A-4E. The code fixes come from checking the code against the A-4E NATOPS manual while writing my guide.

Okay, so you noticed the Sidewinders being screwy too? I thought that was just me. I can see their challenges for sure with things as there really is no previous code to reference. What I have seen so far is the controls seem to porpoise when you release any pressure, the sidewinder problems, spongy suspension, lack of brake friction, damage model, landing with bombs on center will cause immediate explosion and people have complained about the external lights.

Not going to be critical as for a first swipe, this thing is hellaciously fun. I've always loved the Scooter. Now I wish I could get enough of a team together to do the Skyraider!

Okay, so you noticed the Sidewinders being screwy too? I thought that was just me.

For me, the sidewinders have an arming sequence bug. NATOPS sequence is to FUNC SEL, STA SEL, then MASTER ARM ON. But if you follow the sequence the sidewinders will not go active. I think its just a state-checking sequence in the code that's off.

What I have seen so far is the controls seem to porpoise when you release any pressure

Try flying with AFCS engaged. It makes a world of difference. It's basically an auto trim / fly-by-wire.

Making a mod is always a dream for me. But I'm not sure if I have the skills and time to fully commit. My schedule comes and goes in bursts.

Hello all, I was having some issues with the trim being too drastic and making it hard to get a perfectly level flight. Even so, this fix isn't perfect...but you can place this file in your DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\A-4E-C\Cockpit\Scripts\Systems directory to improve it.

That might affect the AFCS PID controllers, since they use trim to perform the autopilot functions. Would need to be tested.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What are the bug symptoms?

For the AWE-1 (AWRS), when dropping bombs or firing rockets in ripple mode, the quantity selector should limit the number of bombs released. For example:

MODE = RIPPLE SINGLE

QTY SEL = 4

DROP INTERVAL = 100ms

Holding down the bomb release button should starting release bombs in singles with an interval of 100ms till 4 bombs are released.

Currently, the QTY SEL only works for SALVO mode.

For the sidewinders, following the tactical manual. The switch sequence should be FUNC SEL, STATION SEL, then MASTER ARM ON just before firing. If this sequence is followed in the mod, the sidewinders are not activated (no growling tone and fails to track).

I think its the logic behind checking which weapons are selected which is bugged. (eg. checking only when FUNC SEL or STA SEL are changed)

For the AWE-1 (AWRS), when dropping bombs or firing rockets in ripple mode, the quantity selector should limit the number of bombs released. For example:

MODE = RIPPLE SINGLE

QTY SEL = 4

DROP INTERVAL = 100ms

Holding down the bomb release button should starting release bombs in singles with an interval of 100ms till 4 bombs are released.

Currently, the QTY SEL only works for SALVO mode.

Yeah, you're right, should be an easy fix. I suspect I misunderstood how it's supposed to work at the time I implemented it, we didn't have any docs on that IIRC. Similarly, I think pairs isn't implemented correctly either.

For the sidewinders, following the tactical manual. The switch sequence should be FUNC SEL, STATION SEL, then MASTER ARM ON just before firing. If this sequence is followed in the mod, the sidewinders are not activated (no growling tone and fails to track).

I think its the logic behind checking which weapons are selected which is bugged. (eg. checking only when FUNC SEL or STA SEL are changed)

Hmm yes, I see. Should be easy to fix too, just need to check for state change of get_elec_mon_arms_dc_ok() in update() and then call check_sidewinder again.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, you're right, should be an easy fix. I suspect I misunderstood how it's supposed to work at the time I implemented it, we didn't have any docs on that IIRC. Similarly, I think pairs isn't implemented correctly either.

Hmm yes, I see. Should be easy to fix too, just need to check for state change of get_elec_mon_arms_dc_ok() in update() and then call check_sidewinder again.

Are you still helping out in the A-4E project? Would be great if it could be fixed. I haven't had the chance to read through all the code to find the right spot. I did notice a misspelt variable with regards to the lighting panel but the lighting first needs to be fixed in the EDM (console and inst lights do not have separate animations).

Do let me know if you need the relevant documents for the AWRS. I found it in a specific version of the NATOPS guide.

Are you still helping out in the A-4E project? Would be great if it could be fixed.

No, not involved actively in A-4E anymore, due to lack of time and being "tainted" by the ED NDA since I'm working with Heatblur on the F-14. I'm sure somebody (you? :) ) will fix it though.

I haven't had the chance to read through all the code to find the right spot. I did notice a misspelt variable with regards to the lighting panel but the lighting first needs to be fixed in the EDM (console and inst lights do not have separate animations).

Do let me know if you need the relevant documents for the AWRS. I found it in a specific version of the NATOPS guide.

Oh, interesting! I wouldn't mind getting a copy of that (or link to it), just for posterity at least. I just remember at the time I couldn't get docs on it, and had to figure it out just from the switch labels, sounds like I made some serious mistakes. I haven't checked in-game yet, but sounds odd that I wouldn't have understood that ripple should release multiple based on the intervalometer and count.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]