Questions about the Hornet

Top Jockey

Hello everyone,

As I'm thinking about buying the Hornet, I do have some doubts about the avionics, would appreciate your insight if possible.

About the AIM-9M employment modes:

1 - Without Radar lock and without JHMCS, is there anything else besides Boresight mode ?

For instance, the F-15 does have the Boresight "SCAN" mode, does the Hornet have anything similar ?

(In the F-15, the AIM-9 SCAN mode consists essentialy of a slightly larger scan and tracking area for the seeker head, around the boresight.)

2 - Does the Hornet have any sort of AIM-9 automatic-uncage functions, (like the F-16 Bypass or Treeshold options available at the the DDI pages), or is the uncage always manual ?

3 - When uncaged with Radar lock, does the seeker follows the target by itself ?

Thank you.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hello everyone,

As I'm thinking about buying the Hornet, I do have some doubts about the avionics, would appreciate your insight if possible.

About the AIM-9M employment modes:

1 - Without Radar lock and without JHMCS, is there anything else besides Boresight mode ?

For instance, the F-15 does have the Boresight "SCAN" mode, does the Hornet have anything similar ?

(In the F-15, the AIM-9 SCAN mode consists essentialy of a slightly larger scan and tracking area for the seeker head, around the boresight.)

2 - Does the Hornet have any sort of AIM-9 automatic-uncage functions, (like the F-16 Bypass or Treeshold options available at the the DDI pages), or is the uncage always manual ?

3 - When uncaged with Radar lock, does the seeker follows the target by itself ?

Thank you.

1 - The hornet have pretty much the same ACM modes as the F-15 plus WACQ

2 - not a this time as far as i know

3 - yes

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I'm not even close to expert on this subject but first I know you're going to get a lot of responses saying it is still in development/beta. I don't know exactly what they categorize it as but it isn't finished so we don't even have all the weapons and modes yet. For instance, unless I'm mistaken we don't even have TWS mode with the RADAR yet. So I would say it's safe to bet that the AIM-9 modes aren't complete yet either. I don't know what modes the real Hornet has or is limited to either so I can't really guess on what's to come.

In the current build of the module, if I recall correctly there are some other modes like VSCAN. I don't remember seeing a boresight scan mode but I may have just never bumped into it. There isn't any auto-uncage yet that I'm aware of. I have had the seeker follow the target but I don't know exactly how that works.

Sorry for my limited knowledge on the subject. I tend to jump in and fly around and when things work or don't I'm not necessarily the guy to ask how they work or why. But I wanted to give you what I know so far until smarter people can chime in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you.

With the JHMCS, if you press the Cage/Uncage button, the seeker will automatically lock on a target if it sees one, after this point. You don't need to press it while looking at a target. So it's like TD mode.

If you wait to uncage it once you spot your target, it's kinda like BP mode, except that you always need to ultimately uncage the missile for it to track, at the moment (you don't get a low tone when it's caged and looks at an aircraft, although you get a lock tone if you look at the sun). The JHMCS was just introduced last week though, so I think the seeker logic will be updated, assuming my description is realistic (I'm extrapolating from the F-16 JHMCS behavior).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

2 - (like the F-16 Bypass or Treeshold options available at the the DDI pages)

F-16 does not have any of those things

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

...I'd say, give it a couple of months...

I hope your optmisim is correct

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

The F/A-18 is a work in progress; about where it was in 1984. Then again, they used to call the F-16 a lawn dart. Now days the F-35 is in that barrel getting derided.

They're still coding the -18; it's not complete. If you buy it remember you're buying potential. If that is concerning, and you want an aircraft that's ready to rumble it might not be for you. Yet. Then again, if you like the potential and you're a hard core simmer (as opposed to gamer) you can get good at it. When they add notes to the piccolo learning them will be easy, because you can already land pitching decks at night, which is way scarier than being shot at.

You guys ARE the greatest, thank you all for your insight.

@raelias, I see, although in point 1, WACQ is a Radar mode, right ?

@311Gryphon, thank you eitherway.

VSCAN is also a radar mode.

Yes generally the same impressions I have.

Radar TWS mode being un-finished yet doesn't botter me, as AIM-9 modes / HUD / procedures are more my thing - post #27, for the Tomcat:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192525&page=3

@Harker, thank you for the specifics on the JHMCS and additional details.

I'm readind the 2nd paragraph more closely.

@mvsgas, it seems it does have it.

At the least BMS Falcon 4.33 does feature those functions:

BP (bypass) ; AIM-9 seeker manually cages & uncages;

TD (treeshold) ; AIM-9 seeker automatically uncages from boresight, and follows the target (as soon as seeker head diamond at the HUD is aimed to the target).

@HWasp, I see, must decide about it.

However, even not finished, avionics and HUD simbology really is my thing.

@escaner, outstanding, clarified my doubt!

From the 2nd paragraph at the link, it leaves no doubt that the Hornet doesn't have anything related to AIM-9 auto SCAN modes.

@Raisuli, very good, thank you for the remminder.

I'm starting to know the ED / DCS characterisitics, and so I understand that it isn't a finished product yet - but still I already appreciate it a lot.

And for the looks of it, it seems that AIM-9 No-Radar modes are completed already.

Anything else, everyone feel free to post it.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Up until this week, AIM-9X worked wonderfully with JHMCS!

Then it broke...

How is that ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Hello,

Do the latest updates / bug fixes for the Hornet, JHMCS, AGM-65, etc, come with the Hornet itself in the moment I'll buy it, or do I have to update to the last DCS World version ?

I'm currently with the 2.5.3.22652 Open Beta (the one which introduced the MiG-29 PFM).

Thank you.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Hello,

Do the latest updates / bug fixes for the Hornet, JHMCS, AGM-65, etc, come with the Hornet itself in the moment I'll buy it, or do I have to update to the last DCS World version ?

I'm currently with the 2.5.3.22652 Open Beta (the one which introduced the MiG-29 PFM).

Thank you.

You have to download the latest Open Beta update to get access to the bug fixes. That is how it is always done....

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

You have to download the latest Open Beta update to get access to the bug fixes. That is how it is always done....

Thank you.

I do have a slight idea of how it works but wasn't really sure also, as I try to not change things on my install too much frequently.

The reason why I asked it is, because the first MiG-29's Professional Flight Model is already very good in my opinion, so I try to avoid DCS World updates, that might mess with it in some way.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

In that case you should consider using the "Stable" version of DCS instead of the "Open Beta".

You will have a slower update tempo and less likely to have bugs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

In that case you should consider using the "Stable" version of DCS instead of the "Open Beta".

You will have a slower update tempo and less likely to have bugs.

I'm not refering to bugs necessarilly, but some intended MiG-29 PFM changes that I might not like.

So usually I do wait some time to hear people's opinion on the new changes to flight models.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I'm not refering to bugs necessarilly, but some intended MiG-29 PFM changes that I might not like.

So usually I do wait some time to hear people's opinion on the new changes to flight models.

If you are using the standalone client (not Steam), you can choose not to update for as long as you feel convenient both in release and beta versions and even downgrade to a specific version that was more to your liking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello again everyone.

Came here just to say... I bought the Hornet !

At 59.99 $ I couldn't let it pass.

Thank you again for your time clarifying my doubts!

(Rest assured I'll be here again when I have more of them.) :D

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

Purchased the Bug and the PG map...... I’m Very impressed

Next ...Track Ir...✔️

Edited by POV1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 yrs USAF MSgt retired AMMO Munitions Tech

Red Flag 4 times

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7, FE RTX 2070 Super, 32 gig ddr 4 @2933, 500gig m.2...850 evo 240 ssd, 1 tb 7200rpm storage drive, X56 HOTAS,

Track Ir 5-retired....HP Reverb v2...VR

F 16C blk 50

F/A-18C lot 20

Community A-4E

Mirage 2000

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question: Does anybody know why my radar has shifted its center to the left? It is moving left and right, but the center is around something like 40° instead of 0°. I have used the radar in combat and tried to get back into normal mode afterwards, but then it tended to scan the area left of me.

At the least BMS Falcon 4.33 does feature those functions:

BP (bypass) ; AIM-9 seeker manually cages & uncages;

TD (treeshold) ; AIM-9 seeker automatically uncages from boresight, and follows the target (as soon as seeker head diamond at the HUD is aimed to the target).

Threshold detect works a little differently, not "auto uncage" but prevent uncage without signal. Sim isn't accurate. Older rear aspect missile will auto uncage and TD/BP option is absent.