Blindsided : 2nd revision (DCS World co-op mission)

Blindsided : 2nd revision

Blindsided-cover-low.jpg

Co-operative mission supporting upto 9 players (2-3 recommended default, 3-6 on difficult)

Flyable aircraft: 3xKa-50, 3xA-10C, 3xSU-25T

Limited munitions, aircraft (Warehouse)

- by DragonShadow

[briefing room]

As you may know, we have not received any word back from the eastern patrol, since they reported hearing heavy vehicles in the pass. We can only assume the worst.

As of twenty minutes ago we received confirmation that insurgent forces are attempting a sneak attack on the Batumi airdrome. Be adviced that we have received reports that the insurgents are able to mount a credible anti-air threat.

US Specops are just now sending ahead a two man TACP unit, designation 'Ferret', to provide coordination on a counter attack on the insurgent outpost we have located to the east. Before we can worry about the outpost though, we must succesfully defend Batumi from the insurgent forces closing on us. Be aware that we are facing at least two groups coming in from the outpost.

Local defense forces are engaged with light enemy units as I speak. Your aircrafts have been fueled and armed, there is no time to waste, scramble!

Aimed at:

Pilots reasonably comfortable with the KA-50, A-10C or SU-25T in combat tasks and start up, moderate difficulty level.

Pilots up for more challenge can enable higher difficulty at the beginning of the mission (Radio options, F10 Other).

Featuring:

• Co-op and single player support. Note: Difficulty higher for single player.
  • Three phases of mission with varying types of tasks.
  • Plenty of scripted events with radio traffic (text with audible notifier) and detailing.
  • Choise of two difficulty levels.
  • Some more aggressive, scripted AI behaviour.
  • Finite resources of war through the warehouse functionality. It now matters to make that shot and landing.
  • On the move troop deployments.
  • Airlifted JTAC available (but not necessary) for operations against the insurgent outpost.
  • Optional AFAC available for the defense phase of the mission.
  • Combined operations of KA-50, A-10C and SU-25T, all playing important but not interdependent roles (Set higher difficuly for best effect).
  • Be a part of a team where your actions truly matter to the outcome of the mission.

Revision 2 changes:

- Extended gameplay to a three phase mission and new locations, "assassination by aircraft".

- Added flyable aircrafts to total of 3xA-10C, 3xKA-50, 3xSU-25T.

- Added user triggerable difficulty mode for groups larger than 2-3 players, or for more challenge. Affects the entire mission.

- Added FARP Perth and Kobuleti airdrome as allied diverts.

- Warehouse functionality and use of limited resources to beat the mission with. Figure out how to use them to the best effect.

- Russian ground based reinforcements now visible on map to allow easier tracking of progress.

- Improved TACP/JTAC positioning not to call bombs so often on it's own head, made some fixes to lasing.

- Repositioning on the insurgent troops closest to Batumi airdrome.

- Fixed problem with IL-76MD potentially keeping players from spawning.

- Targets of opportunity :)

- Optional AFAC assists in tracking attacking insurgent units.

- Compatibility with KA-50 JTAC mod (AFAC 'Dodge' on 31.00MHZ FM, TACP 'Ferret' on 32.00MHz FM).

- Removed special forces helo AI chatter from default radio channel.

- Stall detection on insurgent attack, after two hours defense objectives count as completed.

- Replaced radio notifier sound with a more correct and smaller in size clip.

- Eliminating 80% of deployed forward troops now sufficient for victory condition.

- Miscellaneous scripting additions and fixes.

Attributions:

* Included some suggestions from OddLizard, a few from Frett92, Newspeedy and Hagios

* Flight testing with Hagios

* Eagle Dynamics for creating the DCS series

* Thanks to all who participated in open betatests

License:

Freeware, distribution allowed as is with all files and attributions intact.

All rights otherwise reserved, unless specifically agreed upon. (It's ok to ask.)

Blindsided-Situation-R2-low.jpg.9c9017d7abacae8faa2f52612319d77f.jpg

Edited by DragonShadow
Download link
  • Like 2

I tried the 1st one and I liked it. I'm sure this one is great too.

Great to get some positive feedback on the mission speckfire, makes me happy to hear that. That's the original version or the 1st revision? In either case you're going to find a few more twists added to it :) Make sure to give the higher difficulty mode a go if you've already beat the base threats before, it's there also to add more replayability.

Edited by DragonShadow

Exactly the parameters of a coop I've been seeking. 2 players in a Ka-50 and Su-25T. Thank you very much!

Quite welcome. Having a fun, co-operative two player mission with some challenge and chance to learn was the whole original reason I started making the mission. Let me know how it turns out.

Three of us gave this a go last night and wow, I have a lot to learn in the Su! A lot of surprises and a fast pace kept us going back for three attempts. It's a challenging mission for certain and a lot of fun with Ka-50s, Su-25Ts, and/or A-10C's. A great mix of supporting aircraft for a quick paced mission. It wasn't the simple, "Fly here and hit this" story line that I've encountered before.

Looking forward to any others that you may produce. Thanks again!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

It's great to hear such positive feedback on the mission, thank you both :) It's also nice to note that the community appreciates a bit of a challenge, I've generally been of the opinion that it makes things more intense and fun if there's a chance of losing too. Additionally I'm quite open to hear criticism or other thoughts on the mission also, after all I can't fix things if I don't know about them.

I'm certainly considering the possibility of publishing more later on, I have a few ideas on those lines actually. That's going to have to wait at least a while though, as I take a bit of a break from fighting with the mission editor and testing.

Oh and if you have a moment, do rate the mission on the download page also.

• 3 months later...

Hihi... just tried it... with 3 A-10s...

Our asses were so kicked!!! :lol:

Guess the "milk run" approach doesn't work on this one eh?

Cool mission DragonShadow and thanks on the challenge... :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my, there's been a lot of activity here recently. Great to hear back of your experiences Aries, alexej21 and Moezilla. I'd love to have a few track files to look over, if it's not too much trouble. It'd help me in future projects too to see how other people approach the mission. It's certainly nice to hear the challenge in it is appreciated.

BaD CrC, there's a few radio triggers but those are purely for the host setting options in the mission (Higher difficulty, AFAC support) that could also be pre-set by a minor edit to the mission. The main challenge in dedicated hosting of the mission probably is the fact that the opposing faction is not passive, it will wipe out Batumi if not stopped. If that does not sound like a problem, one could always vote to restart for example, then I would be intrigued to see the mission in dedicated hosting also.

Right now I've been waiting for DCS 1.2.3 to be released, for it to hopefully fix the problem with warehouses being enabled and LAU-88 (The triple rack for Mavericks) not being loaded onto A-10C. I'm aiming then to release an update with a few minor fixes to the mission.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was going to just do a compatibility check with 1.2.3 and a few small fixes, but I may have gotten the teensiest bit carried away.

Here are the raw notes (not complete) of the changes I'm beta-testing now:

- Narrowed enemy victory condition area some.

- Added 3x SU-27 for CAP.

- If blue CAP takes off, enemy aircraft will start attacking from randomized directions.

- If blue CAP is not active for 10 minutes, insurgent CAP will be (temporarily) recalled.

- Made aircraft unlimited, munitions still are limited.

- Marked any possible troops deployed along the road with a single Ural-375 to aid in spotting.

- Slightly improved Batumi air defense for some protection from insurgent CAP. This is still players job in the end.

- Made mission intro more Epic and removed (already small) chance of a player being hit by tank rounds during start up.

- Fixed edge case where mission could not be completed after insurgent advance was already marked stalled, and troops still got deployed.

- Fixed Predator AFAC speed and alttitude.

- Made clearer some locations at waypoints for SU-25T in briefing.

Edited by DragonShadow

• 2 weeks later...

Blindsided : 3rd revision released

Blindsided : 3rd revision

Mission download here

Blindsided-Situation-R3-med.jpg

Revision 3 changes:

- Added 3x SU-27 with parallel CAP mission alongside CAS: Protect the airspace from enemy fighters and Batumi from air strikes.

- If any SU-27 takes off, this will enable the CAP portion of the mission with randomized air threats.

- Hostile air forces will be (temporarily) recalled after 10 minutes if no blue CAP is in the air.

- Made aircraft unlimited, munitions still are limited (Better suited for open servers).

- Marked any possible troop deployments along the road with a single Ural-375 to aid in spotting.

- Slightly improved Batumi air defense for some protection from insurgent CAP. This is still players job in the end.

- Made mission intro more Epic and removed (already rather small) chance of a player being hit by tank rounds during start up.

- Made clearer some locations at waypoints for SU-25T in briefing.

- Unified blue coalitions waypoints to enable faster communication, now everyones waypoint 2 is Force and waypoint 4 is outpost.

- Added scripting for players to be notified of their current tasking when entering an aircraft.

- Higher difficulty level can now be enabled by host at any portion of the mission (Host needs to make judgement on whether players are in danger zones.)

- AFAC Predator forced to 'no radar using' not to appear on RWR. DCS bug?

- Fixed edge case where mission could not be completed after insurgent advance was already marked stalled, and troops still got deployed.

- Fixed Predator AFAC speed and alttitude.

- Fixed waypoint speeds for route navigating autopilots (You are still likely to get shot though).

- Spoiler: Fix attempted on Georgian FSG Molniya not disappearing (replaced) when boarded.

- Spoiler: Insurgent leader threatened zone doubled in size. Escape not allowed while any player still within zone.

- Other miscellaneous small fixes and balancing.

Co-operative mission supporting upto 12 players (2-3 recommended default, 3-8 on difficult).

Flyable aircraft: 3xKa-50, 3xA-10C, 3xSU-25T, 3xSU-27

Limited munitions (Warehouse)

- by DragonShadow

Featuring:

• Co-op and single player support. Note: Difficulty higher for single player.
  • Plenty of scripted events with radio traffic (text with audible notifier) and detailing.
  • Combined operations of KA-50, A-10C, SU-25T and SU-27, all playing important but not interdependent roles (Set higher difficuly for best effect).
  • Both air to ground and air to air operations, with optional randomized air threats. You can't be sure where the enemy air assets will strike from.
  • CAS/CAP portions of the mission can run independently from each other, or together. All you need to do is fly the right aircraft and the mission commences.
  • Up-to-date tasking will be given even if a player enters the mission in the middle of it. No more guessing what state the mission is in.
  • Choice of two difficulty levels.
  • Some more aggressive, scripted AI behaviour.
  • Limited resources of war through the warehouse functionality. It now matters to make that landing.
  • On the move troop deployments.
  • Airlifted JTAC available (but not necessary) for operations against the insurgent outpost.
  • Optional AFAC available for the defense phase of the mission.
  • Be a part of a team where your actions truly matter to the outcome of the mission.

Additionally, might I make a request to mods to alter the name of this thread to 'Blindsided : DCS World co-op mission' ? To use this thread as a centralized location on everything about the mission.

(Looks like this last post pushed the thread to the third page, but yes - 3rd revision is released now.)

Edited by DragonShadow

After playing the mission for some hours now, I would like to thank you again for creating and sharing this great mission with the community.

Only "bug" I observed so far was that the friendly convoy starting a batumi got stuck on the road where two other allied vehicles (tanks or Bmp´s) were destroyed. Maybe it helps to move the two defenders to an off-road position that they will not block the convoy if getting destroyed.

Anyway, hope to see more missions coming in the future :o)

CPU: i9 9900K@5GHz

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC

HMD: Valve Index

RAM: 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4

HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR Pedals + Thrustmaster Warthog