Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

Looks like half the German forum is currently ordering one of these since it was mentioned here. Looking forward to it myself. :thumbup:

Indeed, lots of order today! Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Hopefully I should be able to get most of them shipped before the New Year.

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

I was expecting my order to arrive some time in December but was delighted to find it waiting for me when I got in from work on Friday evening.

I had the same issue as a couple of posters above re the short cable inside the throttle housing. Fortunately I had seen the above posts so was up and running within an hour. Maybe an amendment could be made to the installation instructions to cater for any other users with this issue?

Once calibrated and setup up in DCS it has been a great upgrade to my WH.

Great service from DeltaAlhpaLima1, thoroughly recommended!

:)

WB.

Unfortunately the combined push button and analog stick will always suffer for a bit of wobble - just because it is very hard to put a downward force on the button without making the stick due it its length.

Absolutely understandable and again I'm reserving judgement (and possible reversion to the nipple) until I've trialed it for several months. I also notice that the wobble is exacerbated by the fact the when the throttle is pitched forward (i.e. thrust increase prior to target designation) the angle of the hat is more slanted, which in-turn angles a direct downward press.

Regardless, the quality from DeltaSim is fantastic!

I do have a slightly shorter hat piece design that can be 3D printed. It reduces the height by 2mm, the stl file is attached if anyone would like to use it. Note that the tolerances on the shaft part are very critical to getting a good friction fit, so it might take some trial with scaling the part to get it to fit properly.

Are there any shorter hats available commercially or from DeltaSim? I have no experience with 3D printing or design, but thank you for providing the CAD file.

The stem on the original hat is approx. 10mm, half of which seems filled. The shorter version you describe above is a 2mm reduction, but I was hoping for something more dramatic such as 5mm. Structurally, how much of the stem is required to be filled i.e. what is the maximum the stem could be reduced by? It would seem like only 5mm is required for the shaft friction, so a 5mm total steam length could be feasible if little/none of the filled stem was required structurally.

For me, the majority of the benefit comes from the larger surface area of this hat and not the stem length i.e. 'throw'.

Edited by mad rabbit

Installed and working! :smilewink: Order #321

Had to take apart the other side of the lever to re-install the connector for the PCB, which was very short - Recommend non magnetic tweezers for this operation, as it sits just next to the connector magnet...

Thumbstick-small.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Installed, it was very simple to install. I also had to remove the opposite side of the throttle grip. Have an early model (#1629), and the harness is routed short, with the slack on the base side of the throttle.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Best to try it first without updating, as you may not need a firmware update (2014 is just a rough estimate I don't actually know exactly when the firmware was changed).

There should not be any risk of bricking from a 3.0 port but I have seen some reports of the update tool just not recognising the throttle in some 3.0 ports. It depends on the chipset running the USB ports I believe.

Almost all motherboards - even most brand new Z390 ones I have come across - still have a few legacy 2.0 ports on the back IO, so if you have any worries these should work fine.

Tried to update mine (SN#02654 - Firmware V.20) connected to a USB 3.0-port, which didn't work. Changed to a USB 2.0 and there was no problem updating to V.23 - Just downloaded the latest firmware updater from Thrustmaster...

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/hotaswarthogflightstick-en/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Installed, it was very simple to install. I also had to remove the opposite side of the throttle grip. Have an early model (#1629), and the harness is routed short, with the slack on the base side of the throttle.
Can you please describe how you removed opposite side of throttle grip? I couldnt do it when i had problem because of short wire..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Can you please describe how you removed opposite side of throttle grip? I couldnt do it when i had problem because of short wire..

It's a bit tricky - This is how I did it...

To reach the screws at the base of the lever, you have to use a small narrow screw driver and lift it upwards to reach the screws :) (You can also remove the top plastic w/ all markings to get more room - It's attached with 3 screws and some adhesive)

warthog-side-remove.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Order #1316 here, Has this shipped? Order page says "We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready. Come back to this page for updates on your shipment status."

rgds

Yes #1316 was shipped on the 19th of November. You should have received an email confirmation - if not please check your spam folder :)

Shipping to Australia is usually approximately 2-4 weeks depending on customs, so hopefully it will be with you in the next week or so.

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

Tried to update mine (SN#02654 - Firmware V.20) connected to a USB 3.0-port, which didn't work. Changed to a USB 2.0 and there was no problem updating to V.23 - Just downloaded the latest firmware updater from Thrustmaster...

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/hotaswarthogflightstick-en/

Thanks very much for the info, I will work on adding these point the install instructions to help others in the future :thumbup:

You can also remove the bottom plate. That's where the wire connects to. At the bottom.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can also remove the bottom plate. That's where the wire connects to. At the bottom.

That is what I did, removed bottom base plate. Loosen the two screws holding the throttle arm in place, NOTE there is a spring behind that cover plate. Not a lot of spring tension, but it could spring out and become a cat toy if not prepared. With that piece out, and the detent cover removed, the throttle arm will slide upwards, to reveal two screws on the lower arm. Remove those screws, and the back side piece will open up.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Ok I have to add my order number #1426 :)

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I'm just a little concerned that this mod has killed my throttle. When I installed the mod, the throttle stopped working on some of my USB ports, but not all. Now, when I plug it in, the 5 standalone programmable indicator LEDs light up for a brief moment and then nothing happens. It's not detected at all. It does not work on any USB port.

Somethings that come to mind, you pitch or cut wires, your ground wire is unsecured, or firmware issues. Check your install for all of the above.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I appreciate the suggestions, but I covered my ass before posting: checked the physical connections, etc. I was extremely careful with the install, never tend to have any trouble with these things anyway.

Firmware was updated when I first had trouble on individual USB ports. Of course, I can't check for firmware issues if the device is never recognized by Windows.

I'm just a little concerned that this mod has killed my throttle. When I installed the mod, the throttle stopped working on some of my USB ports, but not all. Now, when I plug it in, the 5 standalone programmable indicator LEDs light up for a brief moment and then nothing happens. It's not detected at all. It does not work on any USB port.

Remove the new mod and try it without it.

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I appreciate the suggestions, but I covered my ass before posting: checked the physical connections, etc. I was extremely careful with the install, never tend to have any trouble with these things anyway.

Firmware was updated when I first had trouble on individual USB ports. Of course, I can't check for firmware issues if the device is never recognized by Windows.

You can try the whole firmware upgrade procedure again... Put the stick and throtle in bootloader mod and then when win recognize them upload firmware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia