Have the Hornet devs moved back from the Viper? - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #121
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughlb View Post
You don’t get incomplete planes unless you opt into early access. The Hornet and Viper are still being developed.

The systems we have now is actually fantastic, because it doesn’t discriminate. It gives all of us the option to buy the product and use the product when we wish. I could buy the Viper with the prerelease discount, then not use it for a year if I wanted to. Or I could buy the module when it exits early access. This is brilliant because no one in this thread is prevented from doing what they want to do. Personally, I was able to buy the Viper at a discount then start flying it last month, which is exactly what I was hoping to do. I didn’t have to wait for it to have TWS or other random features, I could just fly early on.

The problem is, for whatever reason, people don’t want to wait. So I don’t think a different model is needed, they just need to help people understand the compromise of early access, probably through an application process for alpha testing that people sign up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the problem is money and i'm not saying it is. If it is, then something has to change. They only make money now if they sell new planes and terrain. That has its limits. I hate pay for play as much as anybody but I want to see ED be successful. Don't you?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #122
hughlb

I think that might help Harli. Anything that clarifies both the purpose and scale of early access is a good thing. If it weren’t a Steam product, getting away from calling it “early access” would also be a good idea, because yes, people equate it to other games. That’s why an “insiders program” really makes it clear that this is a public phase of development, and not a released product.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 AM   #123
Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Part of the issue IMO is the fact people expect EA to take a few months or a year at most like many other EA games. So I dunno, maybe put an expected complete date boldly on the EA packaging. You can buy it in 2018 but anticipated competition date is in 2021 or whenever for the hornet. I don't know if it would help with the incessant bitching, probably not, but it might.

I wonder if ED has any data on guys who bought exactly 1 module, and said, nah F-it after they figured out it was half done and wasn't gonna get "done" for another 2 years.

It's what happens when you treat an early (early) alpha like a beta.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:52 AM   #124
Banzaiib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
So a new weapon and datalink pod isn't even considered a minimal update?
no one cares about the walleye (maybe a couple people do), when the targeting pod can't slew to waypoints, nor can you see it on the hud... sorry... but the walleye is like you trying to take credit for work in progress toward the SLAM ER... but after 2 years, there's no more credit for works in progress. We want some finished systems in the hornet and we want some more attention to the under-performing flight model... and i speak for a huge majority of hornet owners that have more civility than i. Only then will these kinds of threads stop appearing.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #125
hughlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaiib View Post
no one cares about the walleye (maybe a couple people do), when the targeting pod can't slew to waypoints, nor can you see it on the hud... sorry... but the walleye is like you trying to take credit for work in progress toward the SLAM ER... but after 2 years, there's no more credit for works in progress. We want some finished systems in the hornet and we want some more attention to the under-performing flight model... and i speak for a huge majority of hornet owners that have more civility than i. Only then will these kinds of threads stop appearing.

Such a shame when a post like this appears. It serves to casually disregard all the ongoing work since the Hornet entered early access, the near fortnightly effort to update the module, and the depth of systems already available. It’s disappointing for the team working on the Hornet to read.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #126
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughlb View Post
Such a shame when a post like this appears. It serves to casually disregard all the ongoing work since the Hornet entered early access, the near fortnightly effort to update the module, and the depth of systems already available. It’s disappointing for the team working on the Hornet to read.
That's because you're not considering anyone else's point of view.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #127
TOYKILLA

No I think he is right,because don't buy a early access product,when you don't know what it means.

It is Final when its final and should cost 99$ then.

And please ED,don't put EA Products on Sale anymore, before the actually Product is Final.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #128
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYKILLA View Post
No I think he is right, because don't buy a early access product, when you don't know what it means.
I didn't say he was wrong, I said he's not considering other people's point of view, and neither are you.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #129
Cytarabine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYKILLA View Post
No I think he is right,because don't buy a early access product,when you don't know what it means.

It is Final when its final and should cost 99$ then.

And please ED,don't put EA Products on Sale anymore, before the actually Product is Final.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk
I think everyone knows what an early access program is, and that there are implicit risks. What we didn’t see coming was a deliberate decision to launch another EA product and then proceed to divert staff from this project to that project.

That is where the ire comes from, at least from most of what I am seeing, not strictly a ‘this is taking to long’ but the why. If things are taking a long time but every effort is being made then so be it, that is not the case here. We all know that this isn’t down to individual devs, nor the public faces of the company, we appreciate their work, many of us do not appreciate the decisions made above them.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #130
Arctander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytarabine View Post
I think everyone knows what an early access program is, and that there are implicit risks. What we didn’t see coming was a deliberate decision to launch another EA product and then proceed to divert staff from this project to that project.

That is where the ire comes from, at least from most of what I am seeing, not strictly a ‘this is taking to long’ but the why. If things are taking a long time but every effort is being made then so be it, that is not the case here. We all know that this isn’t down to individual devs, nor the public faces of the company, we appreciate their work, many of us do not appreciate the decisions made above them.
This is the main point indeed after we were told the one wouldn’t impact the other. I think it is also that we are seeing some systems working in the Viper before the Hornet (like TWS and Nav aligning).

And I also think once a certain level of weapons are available for A2A and precision ground strike focus switches to ‘gaps’ in system implementation, like avionics, sub modes of weapons, and other quality of life builds to ‘core’ systems instead of building more and more incomplete weapons.

I think the model of ED putting out a system incomplete, and then moving on needs to change if possible. I’d like to see systems put out with all modes available before moving to the next. Hopefully the upcoming pipeline/roadmap will help with understanding.

Last edited by Arctander; 11-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Closed Thread