DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow those graphics look awesome, it would be nice to be able to fly the F-16 sometime if they ever make an addon for it.

2nd'ed!!!

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

If the map in that link is sized to show what we will have, and I presume it is, then..........DAMN!:shocking:

No. The linked map was zoomed so it shows entire Georgia. So you can visualize exactly what FAQ says and nothing more:

The existing Caucasus map from DCS: Black Shark and Flaming Cliffs 2 have also been expanded eastward to include the entirety of Georgia as well as terrain surrounding it, introducing several new airports and air bases in both Georgia and Russia.

I wouldn't take 'surrounding it' as 1000 km offset :)

To give you a rough idea... (the area which might be added is shaded red)

dcs_a-10_map.jpg

BTW, have anyone noticed that Georgia is practically missing from Google maps? There are only main cities. No roads, rivers, lakes, terrain profiles, nothing.:huh: http://aidworkerdaily.com/2008/08/13/missing-georgia-data-sets-explained-by-google-mapsearth-team/

BTW2, google maps finally feature rectangle/region zoom http://blog.discoveryeducation.com/connecticut/2010/02/21/google-labs-new-map-tool-drag-n-zoom/

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Please include a gamma, or even better a saturation setting. Blacksharks terrain looks like a faded out water color. I dont want to see the same in this new sim.

You can do it all as it is now using your graphics card settings. On the other hand you touched a sensitive DCS area - being descendent from manga looking Lock On it looks best in... black and white, however sad it may be. I know DCS moves on to DX 11 but it won't do any color adjustments for game devs.

The problem with global color correction is that some graphic elements require more correction than others. So please, ED, put some more effort in color adjustments. Right now when I see the DCS sky I'm not sure if anyone hasn't put some LSD to my drink the previous night...

Also I'm always amazed how hard it appears to be to do some side by side comparisons - real photos vs in-game shots. It took me minutes to identify the effect which according to 80/20 rule would push sim graphics on another level. There you go - a haze effect. Present in games probably for over a decade...

Take a look how it adds to the immersion of overall primitive SB Pro PE graphics

th_Leo2A4_2.jpg

th_Leo_1A5DK_1.jpg

th_SS_00_03_33.jpg

And IMO one of the best implementations of haze effect

I know that there's already a haze effect in DCS/LO and that there will be in Warthog but I only highlight the problem that it's not enough to 'do some fog on the horizon'. The haze effect has to be a function of air volume and has to be blue-ish, to simplify.

Edited by Bucic

@ Bucic that coloring in ROF is spot on IMO! :thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

It will look better when it's completed, capable artists at work here. The inablilty to understand the WIP meaning may result in fewer WIP screenshots which will result in suckage at it's finest. :D

And the inability to understand that I understand the WIP meaning results in someone looking a bit patronizing.

I dont know if the end result will look better, I don't have a crystal ball. But if I see something wrong and don't say anything I guess I am agreeing with it. If the devs are not thick-skinned enough to take some criticizing here and there, its really not my problem. After all if I'm posting here is because I care about the end result.

It looks fabulous! I've got DCS:Black Shark but never put it on my hard drive for serious play because my rig is far too inferior to the fundamental requirement of the game. My HD 4870 is sort of out-dated compared to other 5000 series. And I don't think DCS: Black Shark uses quad core CPU, so my Q6600 is not fully utilized by the game.

You must be joking; your current rig is more than adequate to play BlackShark.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I agree with Bucic. But I wouldn't ask for too much, they already are bringing the most realistic sim to date, so the next step will be the terrain. I don't know why DCS terrains are sooo boring. Perhaps is the lack of nice landscape and long plains in eastern europe, or the gamma I don't know.

I agree with Bucic. But I wouldn't ask for too much, they already are bringing the most realistic sim to date, so the next step will be the terrain. I don't know why DCS terrains are sooo boring. Perhaps is the lack of nice landscape and long plains in eastern europe, or the gamma I don't know.

Asking to spend the time they are about to spend on useless effects from the realism point of view on things that matter for the realism is not asking for too much, IMO. They chose to implement self shadowing and it was a good choice. So let's support such decisions and disapprove with 'bloom'-like decisions. That's all we as a community we can do. Now some may say 'bloom' is optional. But ED still spent X working hours on implementing it. X wasted hours, if you ask me :P

Edit:

Re DX 11 - I really hope there's some better material properties assignment possibilities in 11 as for me ground in every single game I've ever seen looks too plastic. Not mat at all, as it should. Maybe except ArmA 2... Also after I saw what Free Falcon guys did with DX 7 I measure game developers with a new scale. I'm like a 16 y.o. girl in front of Brad Pitt when it comes to ED's flight models and stability but I totally mistrust their 3D 'policy', after seeing the infamous flares trails effect being kept for years. So basically I will rather see users 'asking questions' in that department rather than falling for 'it's complicated' tossed by devs or testers.

Speaking from an old simmer perspective I believe that with DCS W hardware aware simmers will feel that their pet product finally keeps pace with hardware development (DX11, 64 bit, partial dual core support) which was extremely rare in the past if not absent. So I'll give you that, ED! :thumbup:

Edited by Bucic

Considering this is an ground pounding game as is BS, I would have thought the ground would have been pretty important.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Hear Hear! Agreed! The terrain would at this point, where all (most) of the models are very detailed, and the new HDR is being put in, the most realistic step forward, in my opinion, would be in turn, a detailed terrain.

I would have to agree. The aircraft/cockpit models look great, but the terrain needs some work. Mountains / hill's made up of low polygon counts with straight lines, low detail/density textures. Especially when you get close to the ground (KA-50/A-10C)!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Elimination of graphical artifacts should come first i.e. it's better to have very slightly worse graphics but with no artifacts like shadows shimmering on coast line, objects sticking through clouds and fog (!!!) etc. When I see that and the color correction I won't wine that much :)

When I see that and the color correction I won't wine that much :)

Promise :D

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

And the inability to understand that I understand the WIP meaning results in someone looking a bit patronizing.

I dont know if the end result will look better, I don't have a crystal ball. But if I see something wrong and don't say anything I guess I am agreeing with it. If the devs are not thick-skinned enough to take some criticizing here and there, its really not my problem. After all if I'm posting here is because I care about the end result.

I didn't mean to be patronizing, simply saying commenting on an artists work before it's done to such an extent can be a little premature. Polishing and refining is the last thing you do. There is a huge difference between a rough cut of a film and a final cut.

I appreciate you want the best finished product, I'm sure the artists building and lighting this stuff do as well.

It.

Lives.

Where ya been slack whacker?

Hanging out :D

• Like 1

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Then by gawd, SHAVE it!!

Always shaved dude. Nothing worse then playing in a jungle!

Back on topic! ;) I've found something that should give you a clue how ridiculous a hardcore flight simulator looks like with bloom effect. Please don't mind the content (mute the sound, especially if you have children around)

---

A disclaimer: I'm messing around.

So if Nellis is being included for the sake of immersion, will be have dummy bombs and sidewinders as well, with referee's for kill counting in Red Flag? Will it be possible to fly out with your instructor in a separate A-10C, then split off and fly simulated air-to-air against him/her, then form up and fly home?

So if Nellis is being included for the sake of immersion, will be have dummy bombs and sidewinders as well, with referee's for kill counting in Red Flag? Will it be possible to fly out with your instructor in a separate A-10C, then split off and fly simulated air-to-air against him/her, then form up and fly home?

you can do that know. ;)

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||