VR Newbie.

Gunnergolly

I just thought of something. I physically do NOT have depth perception. I have never put on VR goggles. Will I get the immersion like those who physically have depth perception?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I just thought of something. I physically do NOT have depth perception. I have never put on VR goggles. Will I get the immersion like those who physically have depth perception?

you mean there is something wrong with your eyesight or you just lack that perception when playing flightsims?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Its my eyesight e.g. 2 cars 1/4 mile away, I cant determine which one is closer kind of thing

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Perhaps that was a poor example? During my 4th year of being a Yellow shirt on the flight deck of an Aircraft Carrier, I had an incident where I ran the wing tip of an F-14 into the nose cone of an A-7 while I was turning him. I was taxiing a live aircraft and I actually thought the wing tip was INFRONT of the nose, it was actually behind. Standard protocol is Urine & Eye test. The Navy has a specific eye test to check depth perception. You CAN NOT work on a flight deck if you have no depth perception. I was NOT able to pass the test. And was advised that they had no idea how I was able to perform my duties as a yellow shirt all those years? I simply did what was natural to me. I only know what depth perception is in theory. Hope that is a little more clear?

Well I guess to answer your first question then, is, you will likely experience the Virtual world as you experience the 'real' world. The magic of VR is more than just the 3D depth, it's the total immersion in a world that is FULL scale and all enveloping.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Perhaps that was a poor example? During my 4th year of being a Yellow shirt on the flight deck of an Aircraft Carrier, I had an incident where I ran the wing tip of an F-14 into the nose cone of an A-7 while I was turning him. I was taxiing a live aircraft and I actually thought the wing tip was INFRONT of the nose, it was actually behind. Standard protocol is Urine & Eye test. The Navy has a specific eye test to check depth perception. You CAN NOT work on a flight deck if you have no depth perception. I was NOT able to pass the test. And was advised that they had no idea how I was able to perform my duties as a yellow shirt all those years? I simply did what was natural to me. I only know what depth perception is in theory. Hope that is a little more clear?

There are a number of reasons why one can't see depth perception. Amblyopia for example. But you should check out https://www.seevividly.com/

It's actually the reason why I got the Rift in the first place (for a family member). I read about the McGill university study that changed the medical textbooks/findings/dogma. As a result, SeeVividly was Kickstarted as Diplopia.

My finding out about DCS + Rift was a pleasant after thought.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1