DCS WWII OBJECT WISH LIST

michelip

It seems from recent posts (my own included) that it might help the developers to gather in one thread a wish list of Mission Editor objects of the WW II era. Many of the existing M.E. placeable objects are too modern to fit the D-Day atmosphere which the Normandy map creates. There are many missing objects which would greatly enhance that atmosphere. I'm sure that the developers will already have many such objects in mind for future updates, but it can't hurt to let them know which ones we think most important. In listing our wishes it would help to specify if they should be A.I. or stationary, and also any added comments such as weathering would help. As an example, I would suggest something like this: (1) WW II era British, German and French civilian motor vehicles - A.I. - Weathered, (2)Small group of airfield ground personnel - standing and sitting - Stationary, (3) Bomb tractor - Stationary - Weathered.

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,

Mich.

Great idea!

Our Team is working on additional objects.

A central list of all WW II related assets would be very nice!

Perhaps a sticky thread?

With links and pics.

"WWII Assets Database"

Administrators?

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 3 weeks later...
Great idea!

Our Team is working on additional objects.

A central list of all WW II related assets would be very nice!

Perhaps a sticky thread?

With links and pics.

"WWII Assets Database"

Administrators?

Thanks Hawkeye - not much other response to that suggestion, but I have another item for the wish list:

At the moment all shipping, static or moving is limited to the ocean. Fair enough for large ships, but Mission Ed. wont let us place any vessel in inland waterways (i.e.canals or rivers). Allied strafing/rocketing of small canal/river transport boats and barges was common in WW2, especially in northern France. Surely a couple of simple cargo barges and perhaps a barge-tug could be added to the assets. Ideally, these would be mobile and damageable, but if that is too hard, then as stationary objects placeable on such waterways. They would make interesting and realistic targets.

Any feedback on that?

Regards,

Mich

How about a variety of ready made revetments for AAA? Sand bags in a circle or horse shoe for the Bofors or quad 20's? Anything like that would be a great boon to just being able to ID a target from a few thousand feet up. Right now, it's really difficult to see anything until it's already shooting at you! :helpsmilie:

Camouflage netting on poles for aircraft parking?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How about a variety of ready made revetments for AAA? Sand bags in a circle or horse shoe for the Bofors or quad 20's? Anything like that would be a great boon to just being able to ID a target from a few thousand feet up. Right now, it's really difficult to see anything until it's already shooting at you! helpsmilie.gif

Wow!

All great ideas!

Most allied troops did not have buildings to rest in while in the field. They used tents or nothing at all. Even fires were discouraged for fear of being pinpointed by the enemy. The book "Dog Company The boys of point du Hoc" showed what it was really like in the early days of the invasion. Dam those Rangers were good!

For WW II how about campfires that burn and/or emit smoke?

That would help target acquisition!

Let me see what I can do.........

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Pilots and Co-Pilots in the B-17G "Ghost Ships" ?

Perhaps at least a torso in the tail gun and a head in the upper turret?

The turrets should be "scanning" for bandits any time the bombers are within 50 miles or so of the French coast.

Otherwise, I think the B-17G you've crafted is a certified gem of modeling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

How about a variety of ready made revetments for AAA? Sand bags in a circle or horse shoe for the Bofors or quad 20's? Anything like that would be a great boon to just being able to ID a target from a few thousand feet up. Right now, it's really difficult to see anything until it's already shooting at you! :helpsmilie:

Excellent idea Razor. Perhaps placeable objects of short lines of sandbags, one curved to give us a way to compile circles/semi-circles, and one straight to place around tents etc..

NORMANDY OBJECT WISHLIST so far:

Following earlier posts and thanks to Hawkeye, Razor and Flying Photog we have some ideas for placeable, damageable objects in Mission Ed. for Normandy:

STATIONARY:

Sandbag revetments (straight and curved segments). Weathered.

Camo. netting on poles.

WW2 style tents (small, to complement the large F.A.R.P. tents)- weathered.

Small group of Airfield personnel (e.g. in flying suits and overalls) some standing, some squatting.

Bomb Tractor with trailer(s) - weathered.

Smoking campfires.

Cargo groups - e.g. Loose oil drums, boxes, crates. Weathered.

AI & STATIONARY:

Some WW2 era British, French and German civilian motor vehicles -weathered.

Cargo barges (some loaded) that can be placed on rivers / canals, with a barge tug. Weathered.

German infantry. ( the present ones don't work yet).

EXISTING MAP OBJECTS:

I would also like to see some of the native objects in the Normandy map available for Mission Ed. placement. These are already made, and perhaps could easily be added to the M.Ed. object lists. These include: French civilian vehicles, motor cycle or bicycle, wheel barrow, threshing machine (?), hay cart, barrels, a few of the village buildings and a small selection of trees and bushes which could be used to relieve the sparseness of the airfields.

Please post your thoughts/ ideas. Keep in mind that objects are difficult to create and render, especially mobile ones, so simplicity is the best policy.

Regards to all,

Mich.

I would also like to see some of the native objects in the Normandy map available for Mission Ed. placement. These are already made, and perhaps could easily be added to the M.Ed. object lists. These include: French civilian vehicles, motor cycle or bicycle, wheel barrow, threshing machine (?), hay cart, barrels, a few of the village buildings and a small selection of trees and bushes which could be used to relieve the sparseness of the airfields.
I have made barrels, sandbags and trees already!

They are in the WW II and WW I asset packs posted in the mods forum.

I looked in DCS Mods forum. Can't find them. Can you tell me what date they were uploaded?

Post Script Edit: Ignore the above - have now found and installed them. Already make a big difference to airfields.

Thanks

Mich

Edited by michelip

• 9 months later...

I like this idea. And the suggestions far are great.

V-2 rocket sites.

I'd like some more naval units. Some to shoot at, like some Third Reich Battleships.

The little boats that hit the shores on the D-day landings, with a little animation where the troops it's carrying would get out. Ready to go.

I've asked it before, but I would like to see a small static air field, like the FARP's but for planes. All the airfield and landing strips in Normandy are kinda clustered around a small area and I want a plane FARP equivalent so I can at least place a landing area for planes somewhere else on the map.

UK radar. I'm hoping we get the Stukas at some point, then I can create missions where's I'm stopping the Stukas destroy UK Radar site.

More Trains, as they are both good targets and I'm hoping to see the weaponised trains the TR made.

I'd like to see another static object that's like the air show crowd, but it's civilians watching.

I'd also like a wounded group of people static object, for rescue missions.

U-boat construction facility. Would be a good target.

I'm hoping to see more French, Belgium, Danish unit's. I really feel those countries aren't being given the focus they should, as they had a huge part in the war too.

Some good structures too. As the third Reich war machine, had a lot of factories, which made the weapons.

Also I'd like to have all these ww2 units, available for all terrains. Not just Normandy.

Thx

Many of these are already done! V-2, V-1 done!, Landing barges are WIP

Troop embark,dis-embark are done!

U-boat facility is done.

Many ships are Wip

See the WW II assets thread.

Hope this helps.

U-boat facility is done.

Many ships are Wip

Hope this helps.

Where are the V-1/2 sites? I can't see anything in the Static Object list or the unit lists, and I haven't seen them in the map.

What does WIP stand for?

Okay I just double checkered the DCS website and the game. The LCVP Higgins where can I find that, because I can't see it in the USA, UK, French ship unit list. I didn't know those little barges where called LCVP Higgins until now, but I can't see them in the game.

• 1 month later...

As a sort of work around for canal barges in Normandy, static ship objects can now be placed in rivers and canals. The Higgins boats make passable barges if lined up about 50 ft. apart. You can load them with small trucks and cargo objects by carefully placing them on top of the "barges". It looks convincing from 1,000'.

Not perfect but until some modder makes a better barge, it will do.

Regards to all,

Mich.

U-boat facility is done.

Many ships are Wip

Hope this helps.

Hi Hawkeye, I cannot find any V1 or 2 mods on the wwII assets thread. Can you post a download link?

Regards,

Mich.

I would like to see the following in the WWII assets pack:

• Würzburg Radar
  • FREYA Radar
  • Associated radar buildings/infrastructure

Obviously, these would be good targets for Allied aircraft (including a possible Mosquito in future!)

However, it would also be good if they were functioning, so they could be used as early/warning tracking systems for German units (e.g. Flugmeldemess-Stellungen).

The radar buildings and infrastructure refers to any huts, bunkers, etc. which would be needed to make a convincing radar site. It may well be that these could be adapted from other existing buildings or be made as part of the overall radar site tamplate.

Refs:

http://www.gyges.dk/Flum%20and%20Jagd.htm

http://www.gyges.dk/luftwaffe_radar_stations%20in%20France.htm

• 2 months later...

Wish List Poll

On this and other posts we have had many suggestions of great merit, but one wonders whether anyone is taking notice. So far this year Normandy has received very few updates of substance, and few new objects and facilities. I thought it might be a good thing to set out a list of 10 essential additions, changes and fixes, and have forum members vote, giving each item a score from 1 (not desirable) to 10 (highly desirable). There will, of course, be hundreds of ideas, but we must limit our wishes to a reasonable few so developers ( assuming they read these posts) don't feel overwhelmed and so do nothing.

To start the ball rolling, I suggest the following in order of priority:

1. Correction of inaccurate AI skill levels, unrealistic gunnery and

flight behaviour.

2. Combined Arms Implement player ability to drive at least some Allied and Axis tanks.

3. Prompt development of at least one flyable twin engine bomber for each

side,with bombsight and allowing player choice of bomb aimer , gunner

or pilot position.

4. Prompt development of choice of fuse delay in all iron bombs, (e.g.

0-10 seconds.)

5. Option of clear (un-tinted) windscreen on P-51 and Spitfire aircraft.

6. A.I. small boat and canal barge objects able to travel on inland

waterways.

7. Some A.I. WW II merchant ships ( cargo and tanker)

8. Some Mission Ed. unarmed WW II civilian & air force personnel objects

in various postures (e.g. standing and squatting service crew, pilots)

9. Prompt implementation of Mission Ed. Grass Airfield object.

10. More Mission Ed. trigger options (e.g. rocket-in-zone Condition, and

introduction of the "and" Condition to enable at least 2 situations to

trigger an event.

If you are interested please post reply as to whether you agree with the above as priorities for Normandy. Please refer to the above items BY NUMBER. Then I can settle and re-post the list. Then we can start giving our scores to the priorities and hopefully achieve some action.

Best regards,

Mich.

My top 5 pick from your list in the order I'd prefer this thing to be improved:

3 -> 1

1 -> 2

4 -> 3

9 -> 4

2 -> 5

+ 6, which is my own addition: give us a historically accurate ETO Mustang with an increased maximum boost level, please.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

@michelip : Interesting suggestions, and I agree that some attention to WW2 would be very welcome. However, your list does suggest a certain style of mission (I'm guessing Allied single-player campaign-style), which is not necessarily relevant to all (such as multiplayer air-controllers).

For example, check this section from a recent video from Philstyle (1m48s to 4m3s):

I'd agree with Phil that a watch tower that can be manned would server both sides well for ATC and ground control. I also agree that a Jeep is a necessary counterpart to the SdKfz 2 for the Allies to use a forward control/observer points. Compare this to your point #2... from my perspective, controllers are more important than fighting vehicles.

For period radar, I'd suggest Wurzburg and Freya for the Axis and an FDT (Fighter Direction Tender) for the Allies. The latter would serve not only Normandy, but also contrived Italian scenarios (which use the Caucasus map, REF).

Regarding your own list, I totally agree with #1 (AI behaviour, although it is not an "object wishlist" as per the thread title). Regarding #3, I agree, but this is hardly just an object and we know there is a Mosquito in development already and a Ju 88 as AI. Basically, my list would be somewhat disjunct from yours.

My list of "objects"?

1. Editor-placeable dirt landing strips (incl. spawn points!)

2. Player controlled WW2 Jeep for Combined Arms

3. Player controlled watch-tower (both sides) for observing/ATC.

4. Freya radar (REF)

5. Würzburg-Riese radar (REF)

6. FDT (Allied radar ship, REF)

7. Allied field artillery; ideally the QF25 pdr (REF)

8. Camouflaged netting for dirt landing strip airfields

9. Small, period WW2 buildings that can be placed on airfields

10. More period WW2 items for airfields (crates, drums, munitions)

On this and other posts we have had many suggestions of great merit, but one wonders whether anyone is taking notice. So far this year Normandy has received very few updates of substance, and few new objects and facilities. I thought it might be a good thing to set out a list of 10 essential additions, changes and fixes, and have forum members vote, giving each item a score from 1 (not desirable) to 10 (highly desirable). There will, of course, be hundreds of ideas, but we must limit our wishes to a reasonable few so developers ( assuming they read these posts) don't feel overwhelmed and so do nothing.

To start the ball rolling, I suggest the following in order of priority:

1. Correction of inaccurate AI skill levels, unrealistic gunnery and

flight behaviour.

2. Combined Arms Implement player ability to drive at least some Allied and Axis tanks.

3. Prompt development of at least one flyable twin engine bomber for each

side,with bombsight and allowing player choice of bomb aimer , gunner

or pilot position.

4. Prompt development of choice of fuse delay in all iron bombs, (e.g.

0-10 seconds.)

5. Option of clear (un-tinted) windscreen on P-51 and Spitfire aircraft.

6. A.I. small boat and canal barge objects able to travel on inland

waterways.

7. Some A.I. WW II merchant ships ( cargo and tanker)

8. Some Mission Ed. unarmed WW II civilian & air force personnel objects

in various postures (e.g. standing and squatting service crew, pilots)

9. Prompt implementation of Mission Ed. Grass Airfield object.

10. More Mission Ed. trigger options (e.g. rocket-in-zone Condition, and

introduction of the "and" Condition to enable at least 2 situations to

trigger an event.

If you are interested please post reply as to whether you agree with the above as priorities for Normandy. Please refer to the above items BY NUMBER. Then I can settle and re-post the list. Then we can start giving our scores to the priorities and hopefully achieve some action.

Best regards,

Mich.

I disagree withone of Your statement:

"5. Option of clear (un-tinted) windscreen on P-51 and Spitfire aircraft."

I think they must apply the correct tint or at least a bit desaturated...like the one that (before last patch) You could obtain with two mods already present on the download sections.

:)

@michelip : Interesting suggestions, and I agree that some attention to WW2 would be very welcome. However, your list does suggest a certain style of mission (I'm guessing Allied single-player campaign-style), which is not necessarily relevant to all (such as multiplayer air-controllers).

For example, check this section from a recent video from Philstyle (1m48s to 4m3s):

I'd agree with Phil that a watch tower that can be manned would server both sides well for ATC and ground control. I also agree that a Jeep is a necessary counterpart to the SdKfz 2 for the Allies to use a forward control/observer points. Compare this to your point #2... from my perspective, controllers are more important than fighting vehicles.

For period radar, I'd suggest Wurzburg and Freya for the Axis and an FDT (Fighter Direction Tender) for the Allies. The latter would serve not only Normandy, but also contrived Italian scenarios (which use the Caucasus map, REF).

Regarding your own list, I totally agree with #1 (AI behaviour, although it is not an "object wishlist" as per the thread title). Regarding #3, I agree, but this is hardly just an object and we know there is a Mosquito in development already and a Ju 88 as AI. Basically, my list would be somewhat disjunct from yours.

My list of "objects"?

1. Editor-placeable dirt landing strips (incl. spawn points!)

2. Player controlled WW2 Jeep for Combined Arms

3. Player controlled watch-tower (both sides) for observing/ATC.

4. Freya radar (REF)

5. Würzburg-Riese radar (REF)

6. FDT (Allied radar ship, REF)

7. Allied field artillery; ideally the QF25 pdr (REF)

8. Camouflaged netting for dirt landing strip airfields

9. Small, period WW2 buildings that can be placed on airfields

10. More period WW2 items for airfields (crates, drums, munitions)

Hi XVII Dietrich. Your guess is largely correct, but the purpose of the

post is to stimulate suggestions across the board - I certainly would not want to exclude ideas from anyone who enjoys this wonderful sim. My suggestions are based around the Mission Builder and Objects Wish List and I accept that some don't comply with these headings. The exercise is broader than just objects. e.g. AI behaviour and improvement of triggers but to put such categories in a separate post would just fragment the exercise. I want to see if interested forum users can agree on the ten most needed changes. What they are will depend on an assessment of all responses over the next few weeks. If it works, there is no reason why other polls focussed on other aspects shouldn't be conducted.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Best regards,

Mich.

{...} the purpose of the

post is to stimulate suggestions across the board {...}

Fair enough. And I certainly agree with your sentiment! :)

Well, in that case, add:

- AI behaviour

- Twin-engined Allied aircraft (Mosquito)

- Twin-engined Axis aircraft (Ju-88?)

- Period voices/callsigns/etc.

Sorry, the list is over 10 now. Well, maybe not so sorry! :D