DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Mirknir

Nice work!

I am also wondering if you have more information on performance impact and especially bandwith used per interacting players.
Is the server only used to connect players and then the voice process is distributed thru clients or does the server need to receive and forward all the voice?

Right now, the TS server is hosted somewhere else so I don't have to care about performances/bandwidth being drawn from my DCS server to the VOIP system.
DCS is already pretty greedy on bandwith so I am wondering what would be the impact to host this system on the same not-crazy-great hardware/connection of my DCS server?

My server:
The Thread

Last edited by Mirknir; 06-30-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Mirknir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
Coxy_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirknir View Post
Nice work!

I am also wondering if you have more information on performance impact and especially bandwith used per interacting players.
Is the server only used to connect players and then the voice process is distributed thru clients or does the server need to receive and forward all the voice?

Right now, the TS server is hosted somewhere else so I don't have to care about performances/bandwidth being drawn from my DCS server to the VOIP system.
DCS is already pretty greedy on bandwith so I am wondering what would be the impact to host this system on the same not-crazy-great hardware/connection of my DCS server?
There is no performance hit.
www: https://100kiap.hopto.org

[100☭] Coxy_99 #99

Follow me on twitch and youtube also: https://www.twitch.tv/coxy_99/profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLi...qEF8-UGWhwXD5A
Coxy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
ESAc_matador

This would be great for public servers..
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirknir View Post
Nice work!

DCS is already pretty greedy on bandwith so I am wondering what would be the impact to host this system on the same not-so-good hardware/connection of my DCS server?
I've not done many tests, as its early days yet but voice is currently transmitted from a client to the server, and then distributed to all other clients over UDP. Each receiving client then determines if they can actually hear the audio.

Originally there was a sync system built in and the server would then determine if it should send the packet to a particular client or not but in a trade-off of bandwidth vs processing power and sync speed I picked bandwidth. If it becomes an issue this can always be revisited and the sync method reintroduced

I've just done a quick benchmark of the bytes going out over UDP (the UDP payload so this excludes UDP Header) and its roughly 3-4 KB/s for a client transmitting audio.

As I said above, client audio is naively distributed to all other connected clients so your total server outgoing bandwidth will just be 3.5 * (number of connected clients - 1) for one transmission and incoming is just number of clients transmitting * 3.5 both giving numbers in Kilo Bytes (not bits!).

Its worth mentioning the SimpleRadio Server doesnt need to be on the same PC as the one hosting the mission, it doesnt touch DCS, so can be run on any Windows PC.

Hope that helps!

I'm quite jet lagged so apologies for any mistakes above...

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
SageOT

So not near my PC to download yet... From what I've read this is basically like how BMS does it right?

The overlay, is that always on or if you're in a full fidelity module it's off?

Also, if this works like I think I understand it does... Ciribob, you're my new DCS hero! Not having to go through TS, thank you Jebus! TS plugin installs is what keeps us away from the other radio mods out there as some folks really don't like to mess with TS.

Can't wait to try it out.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageOT View Post
So not near my PC to download yet... From what I've read this is basically like how BMS does it right?

The overlay, is that always on or if you're in a full fidelity module it's off?

Also, if this works like I think I understand it does... Ciribob, you're my new DCS hero! Not having to go through TS, thank you Jebus! TS plugin installs is what keeps us away from the other radio mods out there as some folks really don't like to mess with TS.

Can't wait to try it out.
Pretty much that, its IVC

The Radio Overlay is optional, you can open and close it when DCS is or isn't running. Its mostly for FC3 aircraft so you can control radios and frequencies but I like to use it for Full fidelity as well as it will indicate the state of all the radios and when you're transmitting or receiving. You can also make it transparent with the bottom slider.

You should thank the Buddy Spike team for hassling me to do it!

New Release - Version v1.0.4.0

Change Log:
  • Fixed Clear buttons for Bindings so they work
  • Fixed individual Radio not being disabled when it should be for FC3 Aircraft
  • Return Focus to DCS for FC3 button presses on Radio Overlay
  • Increased CA radio range for FM

If you have v1.0.3.0 it should prompt you about the update when you open the client or server. To Update just download the latest version, extract all the files from the zip and run the installer. You can also update manually by just replacing the LUA in the scripts folder and all the exe's where ever you put them.

The major change in this is the experimental return of focus to DCS. As the Radio overlay sits above DCS, when you interact with it with the mouse, focus to DCS is lost and you have to click back to select DCS. The overlay will now automatically do this for you for all FC3 aircraft when you press any enabled button or use the volume sliders.

After dragging the window, resizing or changing the opacity focus will not automatically be returned. For non-FC3 aircraft, focus is not returned either as no buttons are enabled for the user to interact with.

Please let me know if the auto-update prompt works or if you have any issues!

I will try to work on getting the intercom for the L-39 working and some tutorial videos done next.

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #17
SpeedStick

We but live in your shadow. My mind exploded when Mule aka Pikey told me about it the first time.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
recofsky_sergio

Very good work! Question: Do you have voice detection to automatically activate the microphone?
recofsky_sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
Tarres

Hi Ciribob.
I ve sended to you a new version for the LUA with a minor bug and a possible change.

Great work as always!
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarres View Post
Hi Ciribob.
I ve sended to you a new version for the LUA with a minor bug and a possible change.

Great work as always!
Thanks! Got the LUA.

I'll change the CA Radios in the next update to have the better range

For the M2000C - I'll change to Hotkeys instead of the Amplis switch instead. Forgot it had the Hotas controls switch

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by recofsky_sergio View Post
Very good work! Question: Do you have voice detection to automatically activate the microphone?
No you must use PTT, sorry.

Last edited by Ciribob; 06-30-2016 at 08:59 PM.