BALT Hold not maintaining bank?

Nealius

Nope, CSS is a function, and it works in multiple modes. CSS works for pitch and roll in both heading hold and ATTH, and it works for roll only in RALT.

Section 2.9.2.1 Autopilot.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that ATTH will hold a bank angle of less then 5 degrees, where heading hold will correct that angle to 0.

Tsss, found it.

That's a surprise.

Anyway, still,

1. " .. 2.9.2.1 Autopilot.The basic autopilot (heading hold) is engaged by selecting the A/P pushbutton (atwhich time pilot relief options appear on the UFC) then selecting the ON/OFF pushbutton. .. "

2. "WARNING. Decolonizing any autopilot mode does not disengage the basic autopilotcontrol stick steering (CSS) function."

The linguistics of this is somewhat bipolar and you're right and I am too, "The basic autopilot (heading hold)" = "the basic autopilotcontrol stick steering (CSS)"

This is one fine example of military speak where one can poke a square stick into a round hole, because the manual says so, and if you have objections to that that's because you're an insubordinate little dick and you will have to report.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Yah, some of the phrasing leaves a bit to be desired in terms of clarity. Heading hold and CSS both seem to just be aspects of "autopilot" without being specifically tied to one of the 5 modes you can also activate. Both heading hold and CSS maintain different levels of functionality depending on which mode is selected. But they react differently depending on mode - ATTH disables heading hold but allows CSS for example, while BALT retains heading hold for roll but gets disabled by CSS, so they seem to be different functions both lumped into the category of "A/P" by the avionics.

Good God this has been derailed to hell and back.

My BALT is on, colon appears, when this happens. Stick is not giving ghost inputs. I'll try a shallower angle (20) and see if that works. I'm surprised 30 is considered "high," as 30 is a rather standard bank angle for turns.

I pretty much only use "BALT" and I use it to orbit all the time, never seen it increase bank angle.

The only other mode I use is HSEL, usually when I'm inroute and heads down.

I honestly don't understand how you guys are having difficulty with this, but if it works for me I can only assume either pilot error or control input error at your end.

Possibly you've misunderstood what the AP modes are and are expecting them to do different things then they can?

Possibly you're not actually engaging "BALT"? Are you seeing the colon ( : ) next to "BALT" when depressed?

Probably showing an in cockpit video would help clear this up?

My BALT is on, colon appears

Since no one can read, here's a track. Double-ugly load, right wing heavy, trimmed for level flight.

30-degree left bank, engage BALT, colon visible, BALT ADV in the left DDI. Bank tips back to the right, eventually going all the way until I'm at 60 degrees of right bank with zero stick input. The only input from me was a bit a throttle wiggling trying to keep a somewhat consistent speed.

Hornet BALT.trk

Since no one can read, here's a track. Double-ugly load, right wing heavy, trimmed for level flight.

30-degree left bank, engage BALT, colon visible, BALT ADV in the left DDI. Bank tips back to the right, eventually going all the way until I'm at 60 degrees of right bank with zero stick input. The only input from me was a bit a throttle wiggling trying to keep a somewhat consistent speed.

Now this is interesting. Running your track, I see the issue. However, I am not seeing it in my normal play, and whenever I 'take control' of your track, the bank angle holds rock solid at that point.

In addition, despite what launchedsquid says, it works whether BALT switched on before or after the bank angle is applied. That shouldn't make any difference.

Your issue is mystifying!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

well that took 20 seconds.

You're not level when you press "BALT", you're rolling first.

Get level, press "BALT", THEN roll to 30 degrees (or whatever).

That shouldn't matter, so long as it's within the A/P limitations (+/- 45 degrees of pitch, <70 degrees of roll), autopilot should engage and behave as expected.

Something weird is going on here, but I'm not sure what it is. Your aircraft is right wing heavy, and the roll rate looks to be about the same as the natural roll rate with a neutral roll trim. I can see exactly what you describe watching your track, it's as if the heading hold function isn't working and allowing the natural right roll. But if I take control, cancel autopilot, return to level flight, roll left 30 degrees, and then engage BALT; the aircraft holds 30 degrees left bank as it should. For some reason, using your track, everything functions as it should on my computer.

EDIT: Ha, imacken and I were doing the same thing at the same time (though, it's a lot earlier over there across the pond). I'm on current Stable, though I'm not sure that matters as I think Stable and Beta are the same. Something seems to be borked for you locally.

Edited by Bunny Clark

If something is messed up locally on a single module, how can I correct it? Uninstall/reinstall the module?

Run DCS Repair.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

And it might be your joystick, put a deadzone(s) 5 on pith and roll, and when this disappears tune it back down, I have deadzones 3 on pitch and roll, because of hornet AP.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

DCS repair replaces missing files. It doesn't fix corrupted files....

If everything fails, after you tried deleting your saved games configuration folder, and you're ready to smash your PC through the window, you start over deleting the installation folder and download the DCS installer

DCS_World_OpenBeta_web.exe from DCS www

It shouldn’t make any difference whether the roll is before or after BALT. The OP has definitely got some issue.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box