Problem with the TGP

LaCapitanSalty

Thanks for the advice. This stabilized targeting mode is annoying. I tried to use mavricks on moving targets and it was quite frustrating. I find it interesting that the module everybody say is the most complicated one, the A-10C , feels like EZmode when it comes to weapons deployment relative to the f-18.

As the old usability wisdom goes:

Easy to learn != Easy to Use

Easy to use != Easy to Learn

Worst case scenario is that something is difficult to learn and difficult to use, while best case scenario is that something is easy to learn and easy to use.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Personally, I think the whole thing is wrong. Only being able to slew in stabilized targeting mode seems silly to me. Why would anyone do that? It's pointless and makes everything twice as complicated and take more than twice as long to use. It worked fine for years before someone decided to screw with it. Now, to me, it feels like the TGP has been sabotaged.

I don't find either the logic in the new TGP controls. To me it doesn't make sense even what Wags said in the video of presenting this new off-set feature:

Example in the 2:40 forward position He says that "This is handy way to get new target for laser designation" (something like that) and I can't understand how it is "handy" when only your designation on the HUD changes its location but the Litening still points its laser to your old target (large crosshair)! So you are going to drop a bomb on the new target position but laser is guiding it on the old one.... And if you go SCS to right, it jumps back to the old target in a new targeting mode.

Like.... ????????????!

What a purpose at all one has with the Off-Set cross somewhere else when the TPOD can't be sleeved there, the laser doesn't point there and it anyways all is jumping back to old designation if operated?

It is almost completely useless feature and is against all that one would expect?!

The logic in that functionality completely escapes from me, so please if someone could turn it from the piece of railtrack to me that what is that feature suppose to help to do that is not possible more easily with just moving whole view at once?

What I would expect is that the TPOD sleeving is not accurate and easy to do, and its position should be shifting somewhat while you are flying around (look at the real TPOD tracking videos where pilot needs to make corrections) and so on you want to avoid moving whole TPOD video, and you would use the off-set crosshair to make all these small aiming corrections to new target and TPOD would jump right there on that moment. And in point tracking mode for a moving target, off-set cross would could be set on front of the vehicle and laser would be aiming at that position so that you compensate moving target or wind by that way so the bomb would fall on proper target.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I could see the offset being useful, if I wanted to try to acquire a different nearby target, if it allowed me to maintain the current target until I could manage to get the new target locked up. Or if not, just fall back onto the old target, which already is locked up.

Everything else are just stumbling blocks and obstacles to the easy use of the TGP.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

<edit> Also, isn't there and option under special-settings to turn off realistic TDC so you do not have to hold down TDC while slewing?

Yes! This helped me out a lot when was told about it (here on the forums). I wonder if this is a "little known" option that could save others a lot of aggravation if it were more widely known.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

Pro tip: put a dab of hot-glue on the tip of the slew button. It gives you excelt grip and makes it easier to press for button1.

Which is great if want to use that button for something else, but since the hardware will prevent you from slewing while it is depressed (i.e. the Warthog won't send the slew movements when it is depressed) it doesn't remove the need to either assign the TDC DEPRESS functionality to another button or use the option to turn off realistic slew. Personally I just did the Deltasim upgrade for a better slew ministick.

Here is what I found only recently in another post. I hope it will make TDC easier to use:

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

It's an awesome upgrade in the actual slew control of the device. Highly recommended.

Also, isn't there and option under special-settings to turn off realistic TDC so you do not have to hold down TDC while slewing?

Yes, with the Warthog you either have to use this setting, or assign the TDC DEPRESS to a different button. That option was specifically added once ED realized that you couldn't hold the Warthog TDC down and slew with it at the same time due to hardware limitations with the Warthog throttle.

Which is great if want to use that button for something else, but since the hardware will prevent you from slewing while it is depressed (i.e. the Warthog won't send the slew movements when it is depressed) it doesn't remove the need to either assign the TDC DEPRESS functionality to another button or use the option to turn off realistic slew. Personally I just did the Deltasim upgrade for a better slew ministick.

8<

I have the Delta Sim mod on my throttle since about a year, but IIRC with the original TM slew switch you could also press and slew as well. Currently with the Delta Sim mod anyway there's just nowhere I can find to use it. I turned "Real TDC slew" on and could still slew in the TGP exactly the same as without "Real TDC slew".

Or am I mucking something up here again. Wouldn't be the first time :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have the Delta Sim mod on my throttle since about a year, but IIRC with the original TM slew switch you could also press and slew as well. Currently with the Delta Sim mod anyway there's just nowhere I can find to use it. I turned "Real TDC slew" on and could still slew in the TGP exactly the same as without "Real TDC slew".

Or am I mucking something up here again. Wouldn't be the first time :huh:

That option affect Maverick F, not TGP

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

It's an awesome upgrade in the actual slew control of the device. Highly recommended.

Yes, with the Warthog you either have to use this setting, or assign the TDC DEPRESS to a different button. That option was specifically added once ED realized that you couldn't hold the Warthog TDC down and slew with it at the same time due to hardware limitations with the Warthog throttle.

That option affect Maverick F, not TGP

I don't know why you are calling it an option, but without the IRMV as the active A/G weapon, it works perfectly on the TGP.

Only when IRMV is selected does it stop working on the TGP, even when the TGP is the SOI.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Anyone ever stop and consider the possibility that the reason the Litening works differently when bolted to the Hornet compared to the Viper, Hawg, Harrier, etc, is that when attached to the Hornet it uses the same controls/logic as the Nitehawk and ATFLIR? Just some food for thought on what to expect when we finally get the ATFLIR in game.

You can't kick *** without tanker gas

I'm so happy that the A-10C was my first complex module. The Hog feels much more intuitive than the Hornet in many ways. I hope, that some features (esp. the TGP slewing logic) are still WIP and will change soon.

Of course, that works, but cheating is an immersion killer. :music_whistling:

That's the best description I can think of. The A-10C is so much more "intuitive" when it comes to the TGP. The other day I needed to hit a moving target with a mav, and after 10 minutes all I could think was, damn, I would have squashed two platoons in an A10 by now. The single fact that the F18 needs to undesignate and re boresight the camera makes it a big step backwards. Like... slew the mav, then undesginate, then slew mav to target, in too close, waypoint designate, slew to find target again, slew mav, lock with mav... what a PoS lol. It's not what the 18 was designed to do, and really helps one understand and appreciate why they continue to keep the A10 around. For CAS, the 18 is no replacement.

Anti shipping, anti SAM, standoff pinpoint strike, carrier launch, A-10 can't even pretend to touch it. Multi-role is really cool, but is truely the jack of all trader, and absolutely the master of none. I'll take a 15 or 14 vs an 18 all day A2A, and I'll take A-10C to pound ground in CAS all day. But then a mission comes along where you need to battle into an AO, then drop bombs and head home, F-18 is really cool, but unmatched in either side of spectrum.

Edited by Vanguard

That's the best description I can think of. The A-10C is so much more "intuitive" when it comes to the TGP. The other day I needed to hit a moving target with a mav, and after 10 minutes all I could think was, damn, I would have squashed two platoons in an A10 by now. The single fact that the F18 needs to undesignate and re boresight the camera makes it a big step backwards. Like... slew the mav, then undesginate, then slew mav to target, in too close, waypoint designate, slew to find target again, slew mav, lock with mav... what a PoS lol. It's not what the 18 was designed to do, and really helps one understand and appreciate why they continue to keep the A10 around. For CAS, the 18 is no replacement.

Anti shipping, anti SAM, standoff pinpoint strike, carrier launch, A-10 can't even pretend to touch it. Multi-role is really cool, but is truely the jack of all trader, and absolutely the master of none. I'll take a 15 or 14 vs an 18 all day A2A, and I'll take A-10C to pound ground in CAS all day. But then a mission comes along where you need to battle into an AO, then drop bombs and head home, F-18 is really cool, but unmatched in either side of spectrum.

I agree. I would however point out that mavericks can be just as effective if not more so if you don't use the tpod and just put the thing on the thing and pickle

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I agree. I would however point out that mavericks can be just as effective if not more so if you don't use the tpod and just put the thing on the thing and pickle

I view the tpod as essential in VR . I find the low-res mav flir display difficult with a RiftS . It's hard to put the thing on the thing when you can't see the thing or the thing :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2