F4D Skyray

macrossMX

We could use more early Cold War fighter aircraft in DCS, especially one that is obscure like the F4D Skyray.

For being the last aircraft made by Douglas Aircraft before becoming McDonnell Douglas, as well as the first Navy/Marine aircraft that can go Mach 1 in level flight, this aircraft deserves a place in the DCS community considering how obscure its overall service history is. Probably did not help that it served in the peaceful period of 1956 - 1964 where it cannot prove itself in combat.

And also it would go nicely with the A-4 Skyhawk mod, which prior to changing it's designation, the Skyhawk was called the A4D.

• Like 3

We could use a lot of things. Actual focus between ED and 3rd parties on specific eras or conflicts, actual terrains to fly Korean War jets in, an engine with believable clouds and weather, and spotting, the list goes on.

Korea era jets should be perfectly doable from a mod perspective, just a few problems: ED has withheld the code or capability to integrate said aircraft from using essential things like the radio, or properly being able to use Carriers. The A-4 mod still doesn't have radio and has to use a temporary flight model in order to launch off of a carrier.

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 2 weeks later...

Parece que ED so quer vender modulos de aviões modernos, deixando uma grande parcela de aficionados do simulador em segundo plano, Não sou um jovem como muitos pilotos virtuais ou ate mesmo reais,mas aos 73 anos de minha vida tenho o prazer de fazer aquilo de quando era mais novo não podia por não ter a tecnologia dos PC's. Hoje posso me dar ao luxo de faze-lo, que e jogar num simulador que na minha mocidade so existia em meus sonhos.

• 6 months later...

I'd like to see the F-7U Cutlass.  I know the F4D was faster and more powerful, but the F-7U could be a huge problem for a lot of the other DCS planes because it was capable of some pretty incredible 16G maneuvers.  Now I know that G capability is not directly related to turn radius, but given the wing area of the Cutlass, it might be the case here.

• Like 1

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SpinosSimulations

System Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat

• 4 weeks later...

Eu espero que o F8U Cruzader e o Phatom não demore muito para ser lançado. Seria o Epice ver um F7U Cutlass no DCS pois sou um

aficionado pela aviação naval e tenho praticado muito no meu DCS,  conforme vcs verão nos meus videos do meu canal JOEL GUALBERTO,

no Youtube.

2 hours ago, jacson158 said:

I hope the F8U Cruzader and Phatom will not take long to be released.

Sadly, the Phantom II is not arriving anytime soon. It might be a year or THREE before they START making such a module, and maybe not even then. Add another 2+ years to actually develop it test and then offer for early access. It's a complex aircraft, lot of systems to replicate. 

In a thread dedicated to a possible future Phantom module, a big source of debate is which variant do we want?   Because the most common Phantom sold for export was the E with the long nose and 20mm cannon... but the E can't do Navy carrier operations, not built for that. So many also want a second variant like the J to include the USN carriers. 

Here's the thread, and going through it you'll see it's really not that simple. British Phantoms weren't even the same shape, having larger jet engines requiring significant redesign of the fuselage, different tails and noses, different intake shape/sizes. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:06 PM, jacson158 said:

It seems that ED just wants to sell modern aircraft modules,

I hear what you are saying... but the P-47 and the Moskito arriving very soon suggest otherwise! 

But you would be correct about earlier jets. From what I understand, the company owner, Nick Grey, is VERY passionate about all aircraft. He's not running ED to get rich, rather, he's taken his own money for ED to be his hobby, his passion project. I believe he even has stick time in a few of these aircraft, in real flight, like the Spitfire and Jugg. Now... considering ED doesn't make big profits, they have to be very careful about what products they choose to make, and when. They seem to pick some projects purely because that's what their customers, us, tell them we want to see. Then they consider development, how long will it take/cost to develop, how much data is available legally, to make it realistic. How will it sell? Will it sell well and make a profit, keeping the company working for the next several years?

From what I understand, it's this "market research" that has led to several changes in module choices to develop. I think they were planning on making a Phantom, but saw that a Viper was being demanded by the community, and would sell better, and since there are lots of similarities between Hornet and Viper, may as well develop both in parallel. They were planning on making an AH-1 Cobra, but changed to make the Mi-24 Hind and the Apache Longbow despite huge complexity. 

I do think they'll make Cobras and Phantoms eventually, and probably many other more obscure jets. But the "Century jets" the ones with 3 digit numbers like the F-100 and F-104 Starfighter, the English Electric Lighting.... well, they are not being considered for now, lack of popularity. But in time, after we tire of 3 bazillion MFD pages, the appeal of those ealier jets could increase and maybe we'll see Starfighters, Phantoms and Skyrays and Cutlass in the virtual skies!  It just won't be in 2022, sorry. Maybe by 2027 that might change. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bem, isso ja e alguma esperança para nos, velhos pilotos virtuais e ate entendo as razões do Nick Gray, que apostou seu dinheiro neste empreendimento, de qualquer maneira, fico no aguardo desses modulos, e quem sabe algum outro moderador nos faça feliz  com o

lançamento de pelo ao menos algum mod da aviação embarcada como o F8 Cruzader. Não lançaram o mod do A-29B Tucano com o  seu

propio cockpit. de repente pode aparecer tambem outro modulo tambem como o A-6E Intruder da CorsairCat.

Tenho esperança ?