Just love her! But...

buspelle

Amazing and awesome little bird this I-16! And hats of to the developers!

But I wonder is there any way to make this plane even more easy to take of and land?

I know, the "take off assist", etc, but for me, only with the CH-yoke and no pedals, how in the world do I get her to taxi? take off and land? in a more, maybe "unrealistic" way, but in a way that does not end up in skidding of the runway, ground-loops etc, etc. How??? Please, is there a sort of "cfg" that I can manipulate with, or... anything?

Love this bird, but this starts get a bit frustrating, really. So please, Dear developer, or anyone else out there who might have the "trick", give a hint, tips, trick, what ever! Just make me be able to fly this (or, fly is not the problem, but the rest of it is...)

Thanks again for this lovley little sweetey, but make her more "easy" for "idiots" like me...

Best regards

Per

I have tried that, as well as assign the rudder to the "mixture" (the lever centered for "straight" rudder and the lever forward for "rigth" rudder and backward for left rudder...) but there is almost impossible to get it to work, what ever I do. With or without "takeoff assist) I have the "Dora", the "Spit" they are difficult, but nothing comapre to this. Is there no "way around" for this? Its starts to get a bit "boring" to fail ever 9/10 of takeoffs and landings... I excpected this bird was going to be tuff, but not like this...

shes a hard nut for me even with rudder pedals.

for taxi tapping the brakes is the way to go. for landing, just take her down as slow as possible and almost stall her to the ground. using rudder with keyboard is definatly hard so consider buying some cheap ones in future. it really adds up to the immerison and controllability.

The Spitfire has something similar - easy rudder for take offs iirc. So maybe the devs can incorporate something similar in the Specials tab for those who are beginning with the module.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

"Meaning sacrifice realism for playability?"

...Meaning exactley what mr_mojo97 wrote...

Not "sacrifice" anything, just make her more "fun" and easy to handle during start/takeoff

At this point, 9/10 takeoffs/landings are "hit and miss" Mostley miss...

And I am sure that I am not the only one to wish for that OG could bring some us "easy handling" optinon for the nest update.

There is an easy handling option already, use that if you have to. But don't demand dumbing down the plane because you can't handle it. Purchase a rudder pedal set instead and practice.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

It is an unfortunate fact that 'tail-draggers' are all difficult to taxi in DCS and in real life. My good friend is life-long glider pilot and glider tow-plane pilot. He has flown many glider tugs that were tail-draggers over the years, and when I showed him the DCS spitfire he was highly impressed with it's realism, including the difficulties with ground handling and landing without ground-looping. He said 'yes - that behaviour is correct'. Sorry - I highly recommend that you get rudder pedals to fly these very realistic DCS warbirds, and then practice patiently and watch the helpful youtube tutorial videos. You will eventually become an expert.

Edited by fencible

Dear msalama.

...Who says anything about dumbing down the plane? Not me for sure. I only expressed a tiny wish for a "beginners handling" choice from OG, as an option. Thats all, nothing else. So read me correctley please.

for taxi tapping the brakes is the way to go. for landing, just take her down as slow as possible and almost stall her to the ground.

My opinion.

After long practice and hair pulling I arrived at: this is the only way to land the Spitfire (or any tail dragger) consistently safely. Fly all the way down, real close to the runway and slow enough that it's close to the "sitting on ground attitude". One can then either let it drop by itself, or cut the power if one thinks it's close and slow enough.

The feared "bounce" isn't really a bounce. It's the wings angling up when the tail goes down, making the plane take off again if the speed is to high. With tricycle planes you have no wing angle change on touch down and you can be more nonchalant about touchdown speed.

~

For taxiing (Spitfire), if getting into 'the zone' one can taxi long stretches without hitting the brakes, at about 1000-1200 rpm.

After landing, one have to tap the brakes to go straight and not ground loop. Once in a blue moon one can roll all the way to stop with only rudder input.

I did notice how ugly I used to land the P51 after learning the Spitfire because the P51 is so forgiving.

~

An additional thing is that you can't see shit over the long noose of the Spit (less so P51). So coming in long and straight is a no go. Either a curving approach or steep angle descent to keep RWY in sight.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Try to land without flaps extended. Thats what I ahve seen they do in real life on all Youtube videos.

I find it easier during roll out after landing.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

You don't need full landing flaps either, you can set partial flaps and the landing is much nicer. Real life pilots don't seem to use them at all.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I can definitely sympathize with your problem. The first time I flew a DCS taildragger was a total disaster too. It is very hard to taxi, take off and land them.

There is a landing assist option, but even with that, you have to have very effective, timely rudder control, and there is no easy way around that.

The forces at work are torque and gyroscopic effects induced by the prop, and additionally, the main landing gear is forward of the centre of gravity and centre of pressure. They all want to go belly up at high throttle settings, and they all prefer to go backwards at the first opportunity.

Trying to do anything with a pair of digital controls (buttons) makes the problem far worse too.

So, yes you will naturally struggle.

My recommendation would be to get a set of rudder pedals, they're a game changer when it comes to the precise control inputs needed. The other thing you need to do is remove all heavy objects from near your PC, and keep practicing. With no heavy objects around you can't start throwing stuff at the cat.

Unfortunately, in a study sim, aircraft are hard to handle because well, the real thing is hard to handle. Stick at it though, because getting it right and greasing a tail dragger in on the main gear only when landing is one of the sweetest things in any flight sim.

There are some really useful articles that will explain all the forces involved, and when and why they occur here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179253

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179314

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179455

The guy that wrote them is a god as far as I am concerned. He makes things clear and gives you a cat in hells chance of getting to grips with the fine art of tail draggers.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't underestimate yourself, you can do it.

Dear Buspelle I read your difficulty and I think you would do well to find a joystik like mine that has 3 axes, I don't use pedals, four with the gas axis. In any case it's a difficult plane, probably together with the BF 109 one of the most difficult and I do not advise you to try to fly it without first getting a lot of flight hours on the other less demanding aircrafts. It also works in reality: first the pilots have a good deal of experience on the trainers , less demanding planes but allow you to acquire a certain experience. It will be a day that you will feel ready, you will see and you will fly your I-16 with great pride and satisfaction. A lot of effort, great results and a lot of satisfaction. Don't underestimate yourself, you can do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

I love her but ...

Needs adjustable elevators ( something to be done on ground pre take off) because the stick never feels neutral at any speed.

It's as if you trimmed down an aircraft and were forced to constantly compensate with the stick constantly putting pressure upwards

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 4 weeks later...

After writing off dozens of these I-16s I've finally managed to take off (usually) and land (usually) without too much drama.

However.:music_whistling:

Landing is fine, roll out is fine albeit 'interesting' it's that last bit before coming to a full stop, IT WILL NOT DO SO WITHOUT A GROUND LOOP! :joystick:

It's come to a pretty pass when you count a good landing as one that ends in a pirouette.

Has anyone got the secret?

After writing off dozens of these I-16s I've finally managed to take off (usually) and land (usually) without too much drama.

However.:music_whistling:

Landing is fine, roll out is fine albeit 'interesting' it's that last bit before coming to a full stop, IT WILL NOT DO SO WITHOUT A GROUND LOOP! :joystick:

It's come to a pretty pass when you count a good landing as one that ends in a pirouette.

Has anyone got the secret?

Sometimes a little bit of throttle can help, but you gotta be quick on the peddles and keep something on the horizon in view as a reference to spot the start of a yaw.

Just take that pirouette as a flourish at the end of your landing, Ron. If it's always in the same direction you can say it was intended :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-6700 3.4GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB - Logitech G940 - Oculus Rift CV1

I installed vJoy and UCR (Universal Control Remapper) that allowed me to split the twist axis on my Saitek X52. That meant I could map the left and right brake axes to one controller axis. Granted, I am using a 13-yr old Xbox 360 Racing Wheel's gas and brake pedals for my rudder, but the added functionality of the completely programmable virtual joysticks has been a blessing to my DCS experience.

If you have access to an old racing wheel set, you may be able to get your rudder pedals cheaper than you think!

Regards,

Curveball

302 VFA-113 STINGERS

I disagree with the folks saying to cut power, that causes torque roll also. Ideally you should avoid rapid throttle movements and land under low power, then you can reduce throttle smoothly.

Anyway, you can get by without a rudder axis with the jets imo, but the prop planes need AT LEAST a twist axis and preferably full pedals. That said, the I-16 is an extremely quirky, dangerous aircraft... I mean, look at it, it just LOOKS dangerous. Dying repeatedly until you get the hang of it is part of its ''charm''... and dying intermittently even after you do.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2