Early Access??!

SonofEil

I purchased the Yak yesterday from the DCS store:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/yak52/

I noticed a number of bugs on my first flights and came to the forums to have a look. Apparently everyone here thinks this is a beta product?

Neither “Early Access”, “Open Beta”, nor any other similar terms are mentioned on the Yak product page. This is being sold as a completed module and I purchased it expecting as much. (My fault for not checking the forums first I guess?)

Anyway, a lot of the bugs I experienced were reported at initial release back in August, and while not game breaking it certainly seems like it’s in a beta state.

So ED, what is the actual status of this module and is it still being actively worked on?

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Really? On the product page? I don’t, and a word search doesn’t show any results.

EDIT: Looks like the US has a different product page?

7A7460C0-97C5-44BC-B6BE-3390DA2DD9E3.thumb.jpeg.bdd684aad46cebaee44045014b81b62c.jpeg

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• 2 weeks later...

What is DCS World Early Access?

Early Access is an option for you to play this module in an early state, but it will be incomplete with bugs. The time a product remains in Early Access can vary widely based on the scope of the project, technical hurdles, and how complete the module is when it enters Early Access. Eagle Dynamics and all of our third parties strive to make this period as short as possible. An Early Access module can be played on both the Open Beta and Release versions of DCS World. Once the module exits Early Access, you will automatically have the Release version.

The Yak was released into early access in August. We've received several significant updates within a month and two minor updates in September. Since then - nothing. Not a single line in the changelogs. In over two months. I challenge anyone from or representing ED to say they have been striving to make the Early Access period of the Yak as short as possible :).

That is normal I think.

In software development the last 10% take an almost indeterminate amount of time. This is known as the 90-90 rule:

“The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.”

That doesn't mean a great deal will be added but it takes incredibly long to get the last 10% right. Therefore E/A means software gets released as early as possible, without final touches and an unknown amount of fixes. But it would be erroneous to assume that more than 10% of the work is still in the future.

Developers should be calling the software what it really is, a beta version, and stop people from this confusion that they continue working for years and getting patches on an almost daily basis, it will probably never work like that.

Having said that, I find the Yak-52 pretty ok but a regular list of bugs should be mandatory so that a developer can look over it from time to time. The problem with this format of looking for bugs and request in a small forum means it could be simply overlooked and forgotten.

The thing is, this aircraft is developed for an undisclosed private customer and we're just getting it on the side. So chill, we'll get the kit and kaboodle when we get it. Giddit?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The thing is, this aircraft is developed for an undisclosed private customer and we're just getting it on the side.

Doesn't matter. They are selling it to other customers (such as myself) with the above promise - and all I'm doing is holding them to it :).

So chill, we'll get the kit and kaboodle when we get it. Giddit?

And when we get it, we'll stop reminding ED (and informing other potential buyers) that we still don't have some basic things such as a working ADF for example :). Sounds fair?

Ofc, nothing wrong with reminding them of missing features, &c. The thing is, it doesn't help any.

We'll see if it does. At the very least I believe a bit of polite encouragement to focus on some of the older and/or less popular modules won't hurt anybody.