Planning a New PC: When? And What Chipset/MOBO?

Hoping to build one specifically for VR in DCS.

Holding off on the GPU till the 3080 becomes widely available (I can make do with a my ancient 1080Ti for now). But would like to get everything else in order.

My understanding is DCS runs single-threaded, so I should just go for a system that maximizes single-core performance.

So, I am turning to you gurus to point me in the right direction.

(1) What chip/MOBO gives me the best single-core performance?

(2) Is now a good time to buy ? I am totally out of touch/naive as far as the hardware world goes, so am not sure if, for e.g., a new generation is just around the corner or 3 months away or 6 months away etc.

The horizon for pc hardware to me seems quite uncertain with all the news about next generation of CPUs, and of course the gpus. Projection seems to suggest the market is really going to get much more competitive with better and faster products.

I would play the waiting game for like 3-4 months if it really important before taking a dive.

I for one just need a next gen gpu to hang in there for my vr gaming and do a system overhaul many months later on.

I hate getting the buyer's remorse thing.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I believe the next best thing is always 6 months away! I have very similar setup to you. When I upgrade I want to experience a large improvement.

I asked a similar question a few months ago and now I'm holding off until the autumn.

Good luck and I will be monitoring this thread to see what the latest advice is.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You have to take into account that the major improvement in DCS will come in the form of the multiCPU core upgrade at the end of this year or beginning 2021 (if all goes as planed).

Not in any mastodontic Ghz CPU. Just the software uppgrade itself.

Having said that:

1) you can uppgrade right now in a Intel Z490 MoBo and 10600/700/850/900K CPU knowing that the DCS uppgrade will come later or wait for the DCS uppgrade to see what happens and decide your buy at that time.

2) Of course, if you wait, there will be even better hardware to buy in fall 2021.

But, the thing is: maybe in 2021 and forward, DCS will be a better performer on a many core CPU instead of the actual situation where a high clock CPU perform better, so the advice over buying a rig right now thinking on future performance is a little on the mist side of the equation.

Edited by Leaderface

I have been waiting to upgrade for a while, my mate got a 9900K and a Aorus master Mobo, too expensive for my taste so I waited until the 10th gen cpu and Z490 boards came out. Now the 10th gen has come out I am not that impressed over the 9th gen. The 10600K is a cracker but only 6 cores, the 10700K is a great cpu but I don't like the 125W TDP as I think I will be pushing it with a 650 PSU. Plus the Z490 boards IMO are way overpriced.

So now I am back to the 9900K/F which has dropped in price to be comparable with the 10700K. The Z390 Aorus pro, looking at bench marks, is slightly faster than the Z390 Aorus master whilst being around £80 cheaper.

So the next big thing might be fantastic, but we can put off buying forever waiting for the next big thing.

So my next upgrade will be a 9900K/F and a decent Z390 Mobo.

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4